Topic Wiki

Thread summary:

By a random twist of pop corn fate, a truly disgusting hate crime was somehow connected with a Mordechai Ben David concert.

As it happens, Mordechai Ben David, of Yidden, Daddy Dear, Lichtigher Shabbos & other "controversies", turns out to be a racist.

Whether or not that makes him an idiot is up for discussion.

In other news, Mordechai Ben David is still the king.

South Africa is a beautiful place to visit, though its old flag is a symbol of its racist past. Oh, and the current Prime Minister can't count. That's not related to this thread, but it is something you should definitely know.

Midweek parev cholent was served. For a wider, more tasteless menu, please visit the "Pick your Poison" thread.
« Last edited by Yehuda57 on January 05, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »

Author Topic: MBD Racist? And Other Split Popcorn  (Read 45386 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: MBD Racist? And Other Split Popcorn
« Reply #300 on: January 06, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »
Nah. I've been around. I'm from South Africa - you know how many people joke with me that I probably wish for the good old apartheid days? Mind you, they don't know what apartheid meant, but nonetheless.

It's not an issue limited to the frum community. Every community will have its prejudices. We can only deal with our own issues. But this is not widely viewed as an issue
I know. I've spent time in NYC and know SA people.
It's not nearly as bad OOT as it is there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »
It's not an issue limited to the frum community. Every community will have its prejudices. We can only deal with our own issues. But this is not widely viewed as an issue
You should hear the parking lot talk right after they come out of Church.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:28 AM »

Not as bad? True. Just as it is not as bad in different parts of NYC itself. But the issue plagues the community as a whole, and denying it doesn't do anything other than make you feel better about yourself. You mean to tell me you've never heard anyone in CLE refer to BO with that kind of invective?

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
Methinks you are conflating frum community with NYC and South African community...
It's pretty much impossible to live in Crown Heights and not become at least somewhat racist. I don't think I can count how many people I know who came to CH being all liberal and anti-racist and after a couple of years living among the blacks...

That being said, I used to think NYers are racist until I was in Yeshiva with some South Africans. Wow, compared to them I can barely call any NYer I know racist.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
Methinks you are conflating frum community with NYC and South African community...
That might be the racist post ever on DDF.  :P ;) :)
:P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
You mean to tell me you've never heard anyone in CLE refer to BO with that kind of invective?
I have, but it's not as prevalent as in NYC or SA.
/.02

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2017, 12:05:13 PM »
I have, but it's not as prevalent as in NYC or SA.
/.02

Agreed.
It's pretty much impossible to live in Crown Heights and not become at least somewhat racist. I don't think I can count how many people I know who came to CH being all liberal and anti-racist and after a couple of years living among the blacks...

That being said, I used to think NYers are racist until I was in Yeshiva with some South Africans. Wow, compared to them I can barely call any NYer I know racist.

This all true. And I still stand by what I said, as a South African living in Crown Heights, no less.

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2017, 12:42:18 PM »
Its racist simply because he referenced obama by skin color regardless of the underlying meaning of the word he used

You can call jimmy carter a peanut farmer or twat from the south or redneck.  Being jewish or black etc is not a identity you can shed, thus if you reference someone by that, your merely bashing the entire nationality / race

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
Its racist simply because he referenced obama by skin color regardless of the underlying meaning of the word he used

You can call jimmy carter a peanut farmer or twat from the south or redneck.  Being jewish or black etc is not a identity you can shed, thus if you reference someone by that, your merely bashing the entire nationality / race
Seems pretty simple to me.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
You should hear the parking lot talk right after they come out of Church.
Always wondered what the non-jewish version of mikva-hock is

Offline JoeyShmoe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »
Because there is an accepted current of casual racism within the frum community that people pretend doesn't exist when we're having discussions online with people like you around. Then we'll go kicking and screaming chilul Hashem for all kinds of other things, but when someone like MBD slips "Kushi" out in concert, on video, we'll twist ourselves into pretzels to defend him rather than admit it is something we hear in the mikvah every other day.

I'm so going to regret this comment.
Do you see anybody that claims that the remark isn't racist? You're twisting yourself into a pretzel to defend your statement that he's a racist idiot (your words!) and will always remain one in your eyes, albeit a good singer. The popcorn is your labeling him as an A) idiot and B) racist. You'll throw the Frum community as a whole under the bus, as long as you can keep your disgusting name calling alive. Get over it!

Again, nobody disagrees (as far as I can tell) that what he said was a racist slur, nobody (as far as I can tell) is defending his saying that slur, I and others are defending your putting down of another human being. That's it!!!

I will not regret this comment!!!

P.S. I didn't read the conversation after this, since this actually got my blood boiling
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #311 on: January 06, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »
I have and had excellent relationships with black neighbors in Crown Heights. That being said, not all are the same (just like, להבדיל, not all Frum Yidden are the same).

There might be things I can't stand about "blacks", but it has nothing to do with what they look like, but rather with some cultural issues, or things or actions they might find acceptable, which are an annoyance at the very least, and sometimes get worse. As an example, it is an unfortunately known cultural issue, that "blacks" tend to cherish their cars to an extreme. Is it only blacks? Probably not (I've seen quite a few Israelis that have the same attitude). Am I racist for thinking that this is part of "black" culture? I don't think so.

I think that the litmus test to see if someone is a racist or not, is how he or she might treat someone without any prior experience with that individual, just based on external features.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2017, 10:54:29 PM »
I was debating the last while whether or not I should brand this comment as racist and post it here. (I haven't decided yet...  :P)

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 09, 2017, 10:56:35 PM »
I was debating the last while whether or not I should brand this comment as racist and post it here. (I haven't decided yet...  :P)
We need a separate thread but it won't last.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2017, 10:58:49 PM »
We need a separate thread but it won't last.
One of my considerations was leaving for friday. So I did!  :P