Author Topic: Israeli cell phone company Hacked, check to see if you were targeted..  (Read 13052 times)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Israeli cell phone company Hacked, check to see if you were targeted..
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
Shame. I wonder why the "hacker" decided to release the information a year after it was obtained. Probably more likely an inside job. Either way, the company can use some help in their handling of the situation. No apology, just a try to move the link. Like that will help, it's on every WhatsApp group by now. It's a major breach of privacy and they are pretending it's small leak with outdated information...
Maybe the list was sold to some Nigeria "firm" that specializes in credit card numbers of other ppl.

Offline Twin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
I work for cellularisrael.com  ☺
My history of posts should show that....

my mother is on the lis and she was never contacted.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
I know of 2 people that had active cards and were not contacted. they both called bank this morning to cancel the card
Mistakes can happen, but excuses that are not true dont look good
my mother is on the lis and she was never contacted.
To be devil's (not really but you know what I mean...) advocate: did these, non-contacted, people use cellularisrael.com themselves? Becuase I assume that cellularisrael.com contacted the individuals that gave them the affected card trough the email address the has on file. So if your brother used your mother's CC for cellularisrael.com and gave his own email address he'd been the one contacted and not your mother. (hope no-one expects them to do people searches for all these names and trace them down, no company breached have ever done that. The most a company can be asked to do is inform the people that had the account with them.)

Offline danny.arnold

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
Cellular Israel response is shocking! Their handling of situation is atrocious and the lie spewing gotta stop. Did anyone see an actual apology?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2017, 02:13:26 PM »
Cellular Israel response is shocking! Their handling of situation is atrocious and the lie spewing gotta stop. Did anyone see an actual apology?
Whoa whoa! Tone down a bit, the overly exaggerated language does not make your point being truer. Which lies exactly? And is that shocking? And what if there was no apology?

Offline bitbythedog

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:48 PM »
What are they supposed to apologize about , that a Vietnamese hacker stole information from them . ?

[scroll]...איזה הוא חכם[/scroll]

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »
What are they supposed to apologize about , that a Vietnamese hacker stole information from them . ?
Yes precisely. Compare their letter to other letters released from companies that had a security breach. In the latter, the information wasn't even released and they still send out an email informing anyone involved. Because that's how you need to treat the situation.

In this case, they knew about it a year ago and didn't say anything because they thought they could get away with it. Now that's it's public, they are giving some lousy explanation without any apology for people's personal information circling around the public.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
People have gotten letters in the mail. Just not everyone

Offline bitbythedog

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
Yes precisely. Compare their letter to other letters released from companies that had a security breach. In the latter, the information wasn't even released and they still send out an email informing anyone involved. Because that's how you need to treat the situation.

In this case, they knew about it a year ago and didn't say anything because they thought they could get away with it. Now that's it's public, they are giving some lousy explanation without any apology for people's personal information circling around the public.
No one knew the extent of it until recently . customers that were suspected to have information breached were notified immediately. Recently they found out more and reached out to whomever still had active cards.

Professional enough if I was judging. You just don't know the whole picture so your quick to throw someone under the bus.

Try building a proper picture before you jump to conclusions.
[scroll]...איזה הוא חכם[/scroll]

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
No one knew the extent of it until recently . customers that were suspected to have information breached were notified immediately. Recently they found out more and reached out to whomever still had active cards.

Professional enough if I was judging. You just don't know the whole picture so your quick to throw someone under the bus.

Not professional at all IMHO. "Active cards"? It's doesn't matter if the the card is active or not (neither do they truly know because expired doesn't mean inactive).

My point is that having names and addresses leaked to the public is enough to warrant a notification and an apology to everyone involved. The credit card is information is frankly irrelevant in this regard.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »

Not professional AT ALL.
The minute they notice a breach they should be preparing to notify ALL customers.
They had no idea to the extent of the breach?
So what! It doesn't mean that customers that were potentially breached don't have the benefit of knowing that their data was stored insecurely and was potentially stolen!
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
Their site seems to be compliant I heard the breach happened in middle of a security update and is waay outdated.

"Compliant" and credit cards stored in plain text do not go together.
Even if there's an excuse for storing credit card numbers, there's no excuse for not encrypting the information.

Rather it sounds like this company was storing everyone's full data in an excel sheet or an unsecured database and it was hacked.
Instead of deflecting blame they should admit that their security practices were non-existent and that ALL customers should have a right to be notified.
Visibly Jewish

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
It shouldn't be about what the company has to do, vs what the company should have done.

If the company is having that debate, they are failing at consumer service and protection.

This discussion, this thread, this news should have been out over a year ago.

They claim everyone was contacted, yet over numerous forms of social media I keep seeing comments saying they were never commented.

Did the company think this would be hidden forever? Maybe they hoped so?

#fail.

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
About a year ago our database was hacked and there was an unauthorized access to our customers' information. Since them we added many security features and encryption, involved the appropriate authorities and raised the level of awareness, to continue to protect the information of our customers.

Recently if has come to our attention that the the information is still available online. We have already reached out the the web hosting of that site as well as the domain registrar to have it removed, however it seems that this is not a simple quick process. All of the available information is outdated and unusable as we contacted our  loyal customers to cancel their card (if we haven't heard from them that they have already done so).  Feel free to contact us if you have any more questions or comments.

Dovy Schwarzmer
CellularIsrael.com
When was this notice sent out? Either way, "about a year ago" to late.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2017, 10:55:45 PM »
When was this notice sent out? Either way, "about a year ago" to late.
Maybe they sent it out a year ago, when it happened?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 12:35:25 AM »
Is it just me or does anyone else find the title funny? Targeted? Sounds like a good thing on these forums...

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2017, 01:00:29 AM »
"Compliant" and credit cards stored in plain text do not go together.
Even if there's an excuse for storing credit card numbers, there's no excuse for not encrypting the information.

Rather it sounds like this company was storing everyone's full data in an excel sheet or an unsecured database and it was hacked.
Instead of deflecting blame they should admit that their security practices were non-existent and that ALL customers should have a right to be notified.
If their site wasn't PCI compliance then there will be some lawsuits. Unless there are different laws in Israel.

Anyone?

Offline danny.arnold

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2017, 02:43:45 PM »
For all of you who are defending CI: My name and info is on that list and the info is ACTIVE and not outdated. I did not receive any notice from CI till after the story broke yesterday. And the notice as you can see makes up some shabby excuses and spews lies. If there is a lawsuit I would love to join. I am furious that my info was public for over a year without CI informing me.

Online myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else find the title funny? Targeted? Sounds like a good thing on these forums...
I found it a bit funny as well, what a coincidence. ;) lol

Don't use chrome on your phone? Find in page works well for me.
That's an app? Or you can view it like that after its saved as a file. I know with a BlackBerry you can use find on page while in the browser. 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
I found it a bit funny as well, what a coincidence. ;) lol
    That's an app? Or you can view it like that after its saved as a file. I know with a BlackBerry you can use find on page while in the browser. 
In the browser you can search just like Ctrl f on desktop.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)