Author Topic: Amazon launching new 5℅ back card for Amazon purchases  (Read 13503 times)

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Amazon launching new 5℅ back card for Amazon purchases
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
Big meh.

Can already get 5% back (and more) by buying GC at drug or office supply stores.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:42 AM »
Can already get 5% back (and more) by buying GC at drug or office supply stores.

doesn't equal
Big meh.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
There are probably people who would be able to milk this for a lot of money and have other ways of maxing out their IP's.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline ariIs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Big meh.

This is way easier - no going to the store, loading GCs, etc.
Not clear if these are UR points, or 'amazon' points that can only be used for amazon or cash back.
If these are UR points, it's pretty good for a no-annual fee card.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
There are probably people who would be able to milk this for a lot of money and have other ways of maxing out their IP's.
Yes, there are some people on the planet who, despite having multiple inks per spouse, and multiple blue cash's per spouse,  will still spend over a million bucks a year on 5x categories.

For those people, of whom there are very few, this card may be useful.

To everyone else, big meh. Or perhaps even worse, this amazon card with ear you *less* than some other options.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »
per spouse  ;D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
This is way easier - no going to the store, loading GCs, etc.
Not clear if these are UR points, or 'amazon' points that can only be used for amazon or cash back.
If these are UR points, it's pretty good for a no-annual fee card.
This card is effectively cash back (as they are Amazon points), it's not UR points.

And buying and loading Amazon credit is going to get even easier at many retailers with Amazon cash loads.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:50:43 PM by AJK »

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:47:20 PM »
And there are some people who are single and only have one IP
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
And there are some people who are single and only have one IP

Being single is no excuse for having one IP. And not having (multiple) Blue Cash and other 5x cards.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
Yes, there are some people on the planet who, despite having multiple inks per spouse, and multiple blue cash's per spouse,  will still spend over a million bucks a year on 5x categories.

For those people, of whom there are very few, this card may be useful.

To everyone else, big meh. Or perhaps even worse, this amazon card with ear you *less* than some other options.
There are some people that don't say "big meh" to something that may be useful to many people just because they have a strategy that works better for their personal tastes and habits.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »
Being single is no excuse for having one IP. And not having (multiple) Blue Cash and other 5x cards.
5/24 + starting too late in this game= one IP

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »
There are some people that don't say "big meh" to something that may be useful to many people just because they have a strategy that works better for their personal tastes and habits.

And my point is that, if one is doing it right, this card *should* be a big meh. Especially for people that are on DDF. Not sure what you're not following.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
Right is relative.
JTZ

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 01:15:17 PM »
Right is relative.

That 7.5% > 5% is objective and not really debatable.

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »
Big meh.

Completely disagree. I don't like buying Amazon stuff on gift cards. I will use gift cards when I get a significant discount like Lowe's Amex offers but I'd much rather have 5% cash back to spend on Amazon over using an ink plus to buy gift cards, even if those points are worth 7.5% back. The credit card protection benefits, lack of cash flow issues, and not having to deal this the hassle are worth the extra 2.5% if a credit card is going to give me 5% value for no hassle or effort. Last week I was going to use a credit card to return a suit I bought on Amazon 2 months ago. Unfortunately when I looked I saw that I bought the suit on a gift card. That's $140 right there. There are other times I've used extended warranties on Amazon purchases. I'd rather use a credit card that has those benefits vs. gift cards that have no benefits.

Plus, the extra 2.5% is only for travel. I do travel but not that much. I already have a lot of Chase points between my wife and I. It's going to take awhile to use those points. Especially since using the Chase points for anything but flights is dicey. Hotels sometimes offer better rates/deals through other sites or I usually use AirBnb when travelling with my family. Costco typically gives me much better rates for car rentals. So figure it will probably take me somewhere in the range of 3-7 years to consume my current balance of Chase points, if not longer. The present value of the 7.5% lowers that number closer to 5%. I'll take the 5% cash that I can use on my next month's Amazon purchases.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
If you bought a suit 2 months ago then it still qualifies for holiday returns.

Besides, how will the Amazon CC help you with extended returns exactly??

If you want a warranty that will pay out or if you want return protection you won't get help from this card anyway.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
If you bought a suit 2 months ago then it still qualifies for holiday returns.

Besides, how will the Amazon CC help you with extended returns exactly??

If you want a warranty that will pay out or if you want return protection you won't get help from this card anyway.
I checked and it was purchased before the holiday returns on 10/30. Can't return it.

Does the Amazon CC not have extended returns and warranty protection? I'm pretty sure I used the second year warranty before on that card. Wasn't fun but not too terrible either. Had to fill out a few things and send back. If it doesn't have return protection then that may change the equation a bit. I have a possible trip to Hawaii a year from now and a trip to Israel three years from now as our only trips coming up on the horizon.But we already have almost 1 million combined Chase and Amex points. After a while there's some diminishing returns from additional points.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
No return protection and Chase warranty coverage is a joke compared to AMEX.

Your reasons are sound, but they aren't reasons to use this card.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
No return protection and Chase warranty coverage is a joke compared to AMEX.

Your reasons are sound, but they aren't reasons to use this card.
I've used the Chase warranty coverage twice and it wasn't so bad. Have never used Amex so I don't have a point for comparison. It wasn't an enjoyable experience but it also wasn't ridiculous. I'd put it at a headache but usable. Maybe I'll use gift cards for smaller purchases and an Amex for the larger purchases that may need some protection.

Truth is that I still have about $300 in gift cards from the most recent Lowe's $10 off $50 Amex offer. I used that one to buy $600 in Amazon gift cards for $480.