Author Topic: Delta sweepstakes win up to 100,000 miles - no purchase necessary  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
You could enter a sweepstakes to be one of 7 winners to win up to 100,000 Delta miles. you can enter all your household members too.
here's the link: http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/DeltaSweepstakes.aspx?id=1761
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
IX. ALL PRIZE TERMS AND CONDITIONS: All winners are required to comply with any and all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. The prize winners will be solely responsible for all federal, state and/or local taxes, and for any other fees or costs associated with the prize they receive. The winners receiving a prize valued over $600.00 will be required to sign the Affidavit, and return it within five (5) days of notification. A winner may be required to provide Sponsor with a valid social security number before a prize will be awarded for tax reporting purposes. An IRS Form 1099 will be issued in the name of a Winner. Non-compliance may result in disqualification.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Quote from: Delta Sweepstakes
IX. ALL PRIZE TERMS AND CONDITIONS: All winners are required to comply with any and all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. The prize winners will be solely responsible for all federal, state and/or local taxes, and for any other fees or costs associated with the prize they receive. The winners receiving a prize valued over $600.00 will be required to sign the Affidavit, and return it within five (5) days of notification. A winner may be required to provide Sponsor with a valid social security number before a prize will be awarded for tax reporting purposes. An IRS Form 1099 will be issued in the name of a Winner. Non-compliance may result in disqualification.

If they're giving you a 1099 valuing miles at $0.028/mile, then taxes on the miles can end up being more than what these miles are worth...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus

If they're giving you a 1099 valuing miles at $0.028/mile, then taxes on the miles can end up being more than what these miles are worth...
They're valuing them at 2cpm according to the rules.
So at a 33% fed+state+local marginal tax rate you'll get a $2,000 1099 and owe $660 on 100,000 miles.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
They're valuing them at 2cpm according to the rules.
So at a 33% fed+state+local marginal tax rate you'll get a $2,000 1099 and owe $660 on 100,000 miles.

My taxes are more like 40%  fed+state+local...

If the $2,000 bumps you to a higher tax bracket then you're going to be paying the bracket difference for all of your income.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
But if it bumps you to a higher tax bracket then you're going to be paying the bracket difference for all of your income.
Nope, common misunderstanding.
Marginal rate means that only earnings in the higher bracket are taxed at the higher rates.
Everyone pays the same lower rates in each bracket and as it climbs up you pay the higher rates on earnings within each higher bracket.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nope, common misunderstanding.
Marginal rate means that only earnings in the higher bracket are taxed at the higher rates.
Everyone pays the same lower rates in each bracket and as it climbs up you pay the higher rates on earnings within each higher bracket.

Thanks for teaching me something new. At a 40% tax rate, I'm going to have to pass on this sweepstakes.

Offline APoshiterYid

• View Profile
If the $2,000 bumps you to a higher tax bracket then you're going to be paying the bracket difference for all of your income.
Even our beloved government is not backward enough to create a system that you would lose money by making money. There is no way that if you made 199,000 you would be taxed 34% and then with those extra $2k putting you at 201,000 you would pay 38% on all of your income; you just pay that extra 4% on the last $1k.
If you have my email PLEASE don't PM me :)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Even our beloved government is not backward enough to create a system that you would lose money by making money. There is no way that if you made 199,000 you would be taxed 34% and then with those extra $2k putting you at 201,000 you would pay 38% on all of your income; you just pay that extra 4% on the last $1k.

What you're saying makes sense. Although people do lose out (by becoming ineligible) on thousands of dollars in government handouts (e.g. foodstamps, section 8 etc.) by earning a few hundred dollars more.

Offline APoshiterYid

• View Profile
What you're saying makes sense. Although people do lose out (by becoming ineligible) on thousands of dollars in government handouts (e.g. foodstamps, section 8 etc.) by earning a few hundred dollars more.
Right, I was barring Transfer Payments, of course. Either way, I just signed up- thanks OP! :)
If you have my email PLEASE don't PM me :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Delta sweepstakes win up to 100,000 miles - no purchase necessary
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »
+1.
Lots of other credits and deductions do have income limits.  So it is possible to lose more money than you make by going over various thresholds.
All the more reason for a use tax system that encourages saving instead of a system that discourages higher work/production/GDP.

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Delta sweepstakes win up to 100,000 miles - no purchase necessary
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
ll the more reason for a use tax system that encourages saving instead of a system that discourages higher work/production/GDP.
I am a big fan of the "Fair Tax" system. Did you ever read the book?

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9