Author Topic: Your Funny/Strange/Interesting/Random Story Thread  (Read 5198 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Your Funny/Strange/Interesting/Random Story Thread
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:32:10 PM »
This thread is for funny/strange/interesting/random stories that either happened to you or that you witnessed.
(I did not see such a thread so I figured I'll go ahead and start it.)

Here's mine: I was in the hospital in a jam-packed(!) elevator around lunch-break time. There was barely an inch to move and the doors were about to close. As usual, there's always this guy running over at the last second to activate the doors' sensors that it should open back up to let him in, so he shouldn't have to wait for next round. Well, in my case this guy was evidently rolling in dough with a nicely pressed suit etc... He came running with his small box of pizza in his hand and that was the only thing that actually made it into the elevator! ...uh, almost... It got squished from the closing doors. People from the elevator helped activate the sensors to have the doors open back up, but needless to say, the demolished pizza wasn't saved...  :o

Offline yakov116

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Your Funny/Strange/Interesting/Random Story Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »
This thread is for funny/strange/interesting/random stories that either happened to you or that you witnessed.

Here's mine: I was in the hospital in a jam-packed(!) elevator around lunch-break time. There was barely an inch to move and the doors were about to close. As usual, there's always this guy running over at the last second to activate the doors' sensors that it should open back up to let him in, so he shouldn't have to wait for next round. Well, in my case this guy was evidently rolling in dough with a nicely pressed suit etc... He came running with his small box of pizza in his hand and that was the only thing that actually made it into the elevator! ...uh, almost... It got squished from the closing doors. People from the elevator helped activate the sensors to have the doors open back up, but needless to say, the demolished pizza wasn't saved...  :o
Levaya details please
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »

This is more like a random story. (good for the story books.)
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »
How Can You "SM_LE"
Without *"I"* ?

How Can You Be "F_NE"
Without *"I"* ?

How Can You "W_SH"
Without *"I"* ?

How Can You Be "N_CE"
Without *"I"* ?

How Can You Be "FR_END"
Without *"I"* ?

*"I"* Am Very Important!

But This *"I"* Can Never Achieve "S_CCESS" nor Can "LA_GH" Without all of *"U"* ......
And

That Makes *"U"* More Important Than *"I"*..
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
*Beautiful   Message*!!

💬   If    You    Are    Right    Then     There    is     No    Need    to    Get    Angry ...

💬   And    If    You    Are    Wrong    Then    You     Don't     Have    Any    Right    to    Get    Angry.

💬   Patience    With    Family    is   Love .....

💬   Patience    With    Others    is   Respect.

💬   Patience     With     Self     is   Confidence   And   Patience   With   GOD   is   Faith.

💬   Never    Think    Hard    About    The    PAST ,    It    Brings    Tears...

💬   Don't    Think    More    About   The   FUTURE ,   It   Brings   Fear...

💬  Live   This   Moment   With   A   Smile ,  It    Brings   Cheer.

💬  Every     Test     in    Our    Life   Makes   Us   Bitter   Or   Better .....

💬   Every   Problem   Comes   To   Make   Us   Or   Break   Us  !

💬   The      Choice     is       Ours   Whether   We   Become   Victims   Or   Victorious.

💬   Beautiful   Things    Are    Not   Always   Good   But   Good  Things   Are   Always   Beautiful ......

💬   Do   You   Know    Why    God  Created   Gaps  between  Fingers ?  So     That     Someone ,    Who    is     Special    To    You ,   Comes    And   Fills   Those    Gaps ,   By   Holding   Your   Hand   Forever.

💬   " Happiness "   Keeps   You ....  Sweet   But   Being   Sweet   Brings   Happiness.

Do    Share    It  ,    With    All    The    Good    People   In   Your   Life.

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »

Post here:
Nice Stories that bring a smile

(Not really, but that thread deserved a bump)
^^^

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
Mods, please rename the thread "FWDs From Grandma."

TIA
LMAO
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline elit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »

TIA
lol... I think my grandmother's emails started going to spam

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »

TIA
Why does a thread have to be renamed just because someone hijacked it?  :o

Just imagine mods would rename every thread mesh hijacks to that topic... DDF would have a whole different look...  :-X

Offline myi

• View Profile

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 10:47:14 PM »
Interesting story told of last week by Rav Yisroel Reisman, which I saw thanks to @Yehudaa , I'm reposting it here from the emailed weekly sheets:

A Story with the Nod’e B’yehuda and the lesson therein.

I want to tell you a beautiful Nod’e B’yehuda story. It is very similar to Shlomo Hamelech where he used great wisdom to decide a Shaila. I am mentioning it not just for the story but for the lesson of the story. Once upon a time there was a wealthy man who traveled with a wagon driver from city A to city B. As they were driving through the forest, the wagon driver pulls over to the side, pulls out a knife and he tells his wealthy passenger take off your clothing, we are going to change clothing or I will kill you. He says what are you talking about?

He says look, I am a wagon driver and no one respects me, I have no money. You be the wagon driver. I am putting on your clothing, I am taking the goods you have, the money you have and we are coming to the other town and I am you and you are me. The wealthy man had no choice and he changed his clothing with the wagon driver and he starts driving the wagon.
As soon as they come in to town they drive straight to the Beis Din. He goes running in and says my wagon driver look what he did. He switched clothing with me, he pulled out a knife. The wagon driver who was now the “wealthy man” said what is he talking about, he is nuts. They argue.

The Bais Din says go to the Nod’e B’yehuda who is the Rav in town and go to him for a Psak. The Nod’e B’yehuda hears the Shaila, he says it is late in the evening, be here tomorrow morning early at 7 AM. I have a busy day tomorrow. Make sure you are in the waiting room by my office at 7 in the morning. They wake up early to Daven and to eat breakfast and they appear at 7 in the morning and the Nod’e B’yehuda is inside learning and says wait I have a Seder before Davening, wait. They are waiting from 7 until 8. At 8 the Nod’e B’yehuda says I need a few minutes as I am going downstairs to Daven, just wait. The Nod’e B’yehuda of course Davens more than a few minutes so when he comes up it is 9 – 9:15 or whatever it is and he comes up and they are waiting there in the waiting room. He says okay good. I appreciate that you are here and I will see you shortly.

He goes in and he has his morning Chavrusos and they are just sitting there, hungry and tired and just waiting for him. The day goes by with one thing or another. Don’t leave, in a few minutes I will see you. He Shleps them a whole day and they are furious. Finally they are sitting there maybe 10 hours – 11 hours and the Nod’e B’yehuda is going to Mincha, they are hungry and tired and they are both furious. What kind of behavior is this from the Nod’e B’yehuda. If you can’t see me until the afternoon why do you tell me to come in the morning? They are both upset.

As they are sitting there angrily and it is already 8 or 9 pm, the Nod’e B’yehuda opens the door and says Baal Hagala Kum Eshrt, wagon driver you come in first. The real Baal Hagala got up to go in. He gave himself away. The Nod’e B’yehuda understood that to fool people it takes a certain amount of presence of mind. When people get angry they do things that they wouldn’t normally do. His whole plan was to have them sit there for hours and get upset and get angry. Get angry? So he said Baal Hagala you come first and of course the Baal Hagala who had been called Baal Hagala for the past 30 years he got up and he gave it away. That is the Chochmo of the Nod’e B’yehuda and it is recorded in all of the biographies of the Nod’e B’yehuda.

Of course, the lesson is that when you get aggravated, when you get upset or you get angry we do things that are foolish. We don’t keep our heads on straight. We do things not according to the way that we had planned on. Anger is a terrible thing.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 12:45:19 AM »
Interesting story told of last week by Rav Yisroel Reisman, which I saw thanks to @Yehudaa , I'm reposting it here from the emailed weekly sheets:

I thought the punchline was going to be that the real wagon driver waited patiently (being used to waiting around for others), while the Gvir got upset that he was kept waiting.

Offline zevi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 08:57:18 AM »
I thought the punchline was going to be that the real wagon driver waited patiently (being used to waiting around for others), while the Gvir got upset that he was kept waiting.
+1

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 09:42:51 AM »
Maybe that was Plan A. When that wasn't panning out, he went with Plan B, which worked perfectly...

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 11:48:40 PM »
This beautiful story was sent out today by Yaakov Brown in honor of the yahrzeit of Rav Meir Shapiro

On Sunday, January 1st, 2020, a young man in his thirties was spending the afternoon with his wife and children near their home in Yerushalayim. After many hours of fun, it had begun to get dark outside, so they all got into their car and headed home to begin the usual nighttime routine.

It had been a long day, and he was looking forward to finally putting his feet up for a bit. But after entering the house, it suddenly dawned on him that in just a couple hours, some 100,000 Yidden would be gathering in MetLife Stadium and Barclays Center to celebrate the 13th Siyum HaShas! He wasn’t sure why the thought had entered his mind to begin with, but he wondered: ‘how could I just sit at home on this incredible day? Shouldn’t someone go to Rav Meir Shapiro’s kever to celebrate the Siyum HaShas with him? It is HIS siyum, after all!’

“All right. Back in the car, everyone!” he announced. So, the whole family piled back into the car and off they went. He didn’t live far from Har HaMenuchos and it didn’t take long to get there. However, he had never been to Rav Meir Shapiro’s kever before so he didn’t quite know where to go once he arrived at the Beis Hachaim. It was pitch dark and the place was empty. Nobody to ask. No signs in sight. Even a quick search on his phone yielded no results.

It was getting late and they were growing more tired, cold, and hungry by the minute. ‘Why did I even come out here? I don’t learn The Daf – in fact, I don’t learn much of anything at all! Sadly, my American schedule doesn’t allow for a consistent chavrusa-shaft; the long workdays hardly leave time for any spiritual growth whatsoever! But I WANT to learn. I WANT to grow. I came here to daven at the kever of a tzaddik who taught us that consistency is the key. He taught us that what is even more important than the Daf, is the Yomi… and I want to be a part of it.’

Just then, he spotted some chassidim davening with their Rebbe at the kever of the Chida. He waited until they were finished and asked them in his best Hebrew where Rav Meir Shapiro was buried. They pointed him in the right direction, and a short car-ride later, they came to an edifice that was clearly designed to resemble Yeshivas Chachmei Lublin. He knew he had arrived.

Meanwhile, nearly 6,000 miles away, over 100,000 Yidden had just begun the Siyum HaShas festivities in New York – an enormous display of commitment and Kiddush Hashem, transforming The Lubliner Rav’s dream into reality one page at a time. But here, on Har HaMenuchos, the young man stood alone. He approached the kever and trembled in awe before the man who had made it all possible. He davened. He cried. He begged Hashem for a chelek of His precious Torah. He wanted – NEEDED – to make learning a part of his life, and he davened that the merit of Rav Yehuda Meir Shapiro should propel him in this spiritual endeavor… With no words left to be said, and no tears left to be shed, the young father of three quietly took leave of the ohel. He carefully retraced his steps down the moonlit steps, got back in the car, and took his family home.

The very next day, after he happened upon R’ Sruly Bornstein and his high-octane Lakewood Daf Yomi shiur (which is an entirely different story in and of itself), he began the 14th global cycle of Shas with Brachos daf beis and hasn’t missed a daf since. Today, eight masechtos later, he still savors each blatt as if it were his first. Each volume of Gemara becomes his best friend, as one by one they testify that he has touched every page. In turn, he can attest that every page has truly touched him as well.

And how do I know all of this is true?

Because the young man in the story…………is me.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
Please note: Although this thread is really meant for

funny/strange/interesting/random stories that either happened to you or that you witnessed.

there already is a thread for that, and many of the stories posted here have NOT been personal stories, so I choose to ignore that instruction and to use this thread for nice stories that I wish to share, regardless of the protagonist.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile