Author Topic: Keeping Up With The Kushners  (Read 229495 times)

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping Up With The Kushners
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »
Just saying,  this weekends EO,  which appears to have been done in some haste,  without initial clarity regarding green card holders etc.  was also put out Friday night and shabbos,  when the mashgiach wasn't available.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2017, 05:18:12 PM »
Just saying,  this weekends EO,  which appears to have been done in some haste,  without initial clarity regarding green card holders etc.  was also put out Friday night and shabbos,  when the mashgiach wasn't available.
nor was his trusted lawyer Jason Dov
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2017, 07:31:07 PM »

Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »

interesting. So if the Donald would observe parts of Shabbat, then things would be slightly calmer, more professional.
Let the official work begin each Monday.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Online aro123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »

Maybe he can get a heter based on this. Its real pikuach nefesh

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 29, 2017, 07:46:23 PM »
Comes to show you how much of a need there is for leniency in hilchos shabbos here
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
Maybe he can get a heter based on this.
If you can get one to basically go out partying this should be a piece of cake.  :)
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2017, 01:20:46 AM »
Ask Cheesecake.
He's asking about your fix.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2017, 01:24:12 AM »
It bothers me that ppl are so  righteously up in arms over this when they are very likely comitting serious issuray doraysa in commenting and reporting on it
You're claiming to know people's motivation? Or are you paskening that it's assur to point out when a widely reported "heter" is a misapplication of halachah?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2017, 06:23:18 AM »
He's asking about your fix.
I fixed it for you not me.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2017, 07:52:41 AM »
Comes to show you how much of a need there is for leniency in hilchos shabbos here
Au contraire, if only Trump would also be observing shabbos these eos would never have been signed.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
If you can get one to basically go out partying this should be a piece of cake.  :)
Not really. It all depends on what exactly is prohibited. I'll take the liberty of writing my feelings on the topic and hope it'll go down well.

When a human being tells us "don't light a fire" he's human and doesn't necessarily express what he means. To be upright people we should assume, a. He doesn't want there to be a fire, not lit by you or by anyone else, b. He may want you to sit in the dark, etc.

When G-D tells us "don't light a fire" that's exactly what he means.

Now here it gets complicated. There are 2 things the Talmudic sages did. A, based on their divine intuition (רוח הקודש) they were able to interpret G-Ds commandments and explain what is intended. B, they created many rules so that we stay far away from transgressing any prohibition.

The second category, they have every right to say it doesn't apply in certain cases. Although some may call it a loophole, that's not really what it is.

For example, when Jared Kushner were to get a ride on Shabbos, he's not lighting a fire, he's not even having a fire lit for his cause. Joe Smith gets an annual pay check to drive for the secret service. The secret service has a year round responsibility to protect the first family. When the secret service decided that to protect the life of the first family while walking in the street is impossible and ask Joe Smith to drive a car (light a fire) he's doing it for his own good, not for anyone elses.

While you may say that they should've stayed home instead, if you think about how not necessarily is any prohibition being violated, in a situation when dealing with leaders of countries I can understand why many a Rabbi would permit it.

Editor's note: I'm no practising Rabbi and have no idea on what basis the heter was given, nor do I care, these are just some thoughts that crossed my mind.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2017, 09:27:50 AM »
I fixed it for you not me.
Au contraire.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
Not really. It all depends on what exactly is prohibited. I'll take the liberty of writing my feelings on the topic and hope it'll go down well.

When a human being tells us "don't light a fire" he's human and doesn't necessarily express what he means. To be upright people we should assume, a. He doesn't want there to be a fire, not lit by you or by anyone else, b. He may want you to sit in the dark, etc.

When G-D tells us "don't light a fire" that's exactly what he means.

Now here it gets complicated. There are 2 things the Talmudic sages did. A, based on their divine intuition (רוח הקודש) they were able to interpret G-Ds commandments and explain what is intended. B, they created many rules so that we stay far away from transgressing any prohibition.

The second category, they have every right to say it doesn't apply in certain cases. Although some may call it a loophole, that's not really what it is.

For example, when Jared Kushner were to get a ride on Shabbos, he's not lighting a fire, he's not even having a fire lit for his cause. Joe Smith gets an annual pay check to drive for the secret service. The secret service has a year round responsibility to protect the first family. When the secret service decided that to protect the life of the first family while walking in the street is impossible and ask Joe Smith to drive a car (light a fire) he's doing it for his own good, not for anyone elses.

While you may say that they should've stayed home instead, if you think about how not necessarily is any prohibition being violated, in a situation when dealing with leaders of countries I can understand why many a Rabbi would permit it.

Editor's note: I'm no practising Rabbi and have no idea on what basis the heter was given, nor do I care, these are just some thoughts that crossed my mind.
Appreciate your view on this. I will make my view short and to the point.
"Kosher Switch"

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
Appreciate your view on this. I will make my view short and to the point.
"Kosher Switch"
Would being driven to the hospital for a medical emergency on Shabbos be Kosher Switch?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Would being driven to the hospital for a medical emergency on Shabbos be Kosher Switch?
According from what I have been told/learned here, no. Look we can go through all these scenarios but that will serve no useful purpose. I am not judging them. I am giving an outsiders personal view on this.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 30, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
According from what I have been told/learned here, no. Look we can go through all these scenarios but that will serve no useful purpose. I am not judging them. I am giving an outsiders personal view on this.
I'm just saying that there may be more exceptions that aren't a "loophole" which an outsider can accept (although I don't agree this one in particular).

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 30, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »
I'm just saying that there may be more exceptions that aren't a "loophole" which an outsider can accept (although I don't agree this one in particular).
For the inauguration I might be persuaded but I don't think so. For going out partying afterwards, Kosher Switch.  :)

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 30, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »
one thread I'm happy to see go OT :)