Author Topic: How I Booked My Brother...  (Read 17483 times)

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Re: How I Booked My Brother...
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
I'm not sure if i understand this...
If i want to book from ORD to OGG (or anywhere in Hawaii for that matter) I should break it down and look for flights lets say, from ORD-LAX-OGG?
Making stopovers is not an issue I just don't know if i fully understand the strategy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
I'm not sure if i understand this...
If i want to book from ORD to OGG (or anywhere in Hawaii for that matter) I should break it down and look for flights lets say, from ORD-LAX-OGG?
Making stopovers is not an issue I just don't know if i fully understand the strategy
Searching just the HI flight expands your possibilities. 
For AA search for LAX/SFO/DFW/ORD-HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH.  Then work backwards to piece it together with a stopover if necessary.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »
Searching just the HI flight expands your possibilities. 
For AA search for LAX/SFO/DFW/ORD-HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH.  Then work backwards to piece it together with a stopover if necessary.
Ok, so lets say I search AA and find the ticket i need with a stopover. How would i book it with BA miles?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
Ok, so lets say I search AA and find the ticket i need with a stopover. How would i book it with BA miles?
PUTPAC.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »
k thanks. I'll call tomorrow when they open
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:17:49 PM by Yellow »

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 01:15:54 AM »
Thanks dan!
Looked online and found segments for ORD-LAX-LIH and LIH-LAX-ORD for the return

Stopovers are no problem for me so this works. It didn't come up online when i just put in ORD-LIH

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 01:23:46 AM »
Thanks dan!
Looked online and found segments for ORD-LAX-LIH and LIH-LAX-ORD for the return

Stopovers are no problem for me so this works. It didn't come up online when i just put in ORD-LIH
No problem, when are you going?

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
No problem, when are you going?
Jan 14th after shabbas until thurs jan 19th
Wish i could stay longer but my Rabbi had qualms with the whole int. dateline thingy...  :'(

We will be staying in LA sat. night and leaving on the 1st flight out from LAx to LIH on sunday...

Offline lechaim2life

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »
What airlines did you search? I tried searching AA in segments but couldn't find anything to LIH for cheap miles around that time? I was looking to go from LAX to LIH Jan 12 if possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »
Wish i could stay longer but my Rabbi had qualms with the whole int. dateline thingy...  :'(
Call Lipa's Rabbi, Rabbi Aaron Dovid Gancz.
His 90 minute long drasha on the subject that I heard last Shavuos is downright brilliant and captivating.
Wish there was a recording of it...

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
What airlines did you search? I tried searching AA in segments but couldn't find anything to LIH for cheap miles around that time? I was looking to go from LAX to LIH Jan 12 if possible.
I searched on BA.com and searched each segment separately. Then called and gave 'em the flight numbers

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »
Call Lipa's Rabbi, Rabbi Aaron Dovid Gancz.
His 90 minute long drasha on the subject that I heard last Shavuos is downright brilliant and captivating.
Wish there was a recording of it...
i've heard his shiur on the topic. although he doesn't outright tell you to do 2 days shabbos in HI, I'd be surprised if he was ready to be "matir"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 12:14:57 AM »
i've heard his shiur on the topic. although he doesn't outright tell you to do 2 days shabbos in HI, I'd be surprised if he was ready to be "matir"
I'm not sure I heard the same shiur you did as the maskana was that in Hawaii (and pretty much in any place besides for Pago Pago and other places located within a couple degrees of the international dateline) you do shabbos on the local Saturday.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:19:44 AM by Dan »

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 12:59:11 AM »
I'm not sure I heard the same shiur you did as the maskana was that in Hawaii (and pretty much in any place besides for Pago Pago and other places located within a couple degrees of the international dateline) you do shabbos on the local Saturday.
i heard it from him circa morristown 2006. he quoted a letter from the rebbe with 3 shitos, 1 of which says what you mention. his understanding of the letter was that it was possible for any of the shitos to be valid, and he sounded kind of uncertain re HI and alaska

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 01:06:02 AM »
i heard it from him circa morristown 2006. he quoted a letter from the rebbe with 3 shitos, 1 of which says what you mention. his understanding of the letter was that it was possible for any of the shitos to be valid, and he sounded kind of uncertain re HI and alaska
Apparently in the past 5 years then he has refined the drasha, as now as has some extremely geshmak proofs for AK/HI. 

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 01:17:27 AM »
the proofs for that shita are very geshmak and have been around for as long as the shita (halacha from birkas hachama, etc.)
his 'doubt' was re the Rebbe's shita. (unless he's since found proofs for that)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »
the proofs for that shita are very geshmak and have been around for as long as the shita (halacha from birkas hachama, etc.)
his 'doubt' was re the Rebbe's shita. (unless he's since found proofs for that)
What can I say, from the drasha I heard from him I heard no doubts.
If anyone sees him, feel free to clarify.

Offline Dovi84w

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »
Was wondering if anyone could advise me, I want to reserve flights for my wife and I from NY to Kaui . I found availability on aa for march 25th f0r Jfk flight #3 to Lax and 285 to Lih and Flight 266 and 30 respectively for return flights on the 29th. I would like to use my BA miles but for some reason they don't have that availability and speaking to reps from aa and ba did nothing to change that.  Any advice on how to use BA miles to get there in that time frame? any input would be appreciated. thanks

Offline mguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
Was wondering if anyone could advise me, I want to reserve flights for my wife and I from NY to Kaui . I found availability on aa for march 25th f0r Jfk flight #3 to Lax and 285 to Lih and Flight 266 and 30 respectively for return flights on the 29th. I would like to use my BA miles but for some reason they don't have that availability and speaking to reps from aa and ba did nothing to change that.  Any advice on how to use BA miles to get there in that time frame? any input would be appreciated. thanks

When people here talk about there being "availability", they usually mean the saver/low-mileage availability. I believe you can only book through BA if you see MileSAAver  availability on aa.com. I just checked that JFK-LAX flight and it isn't available. Maybe that's why you're having trouble...

Offline Dovi84w

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:16 AM »
ok thanks. is this something that changes closer to that date generally, or this means date is locked out and gotta use aa miles?