Author Topic: Driving Ticket in Israel  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Driving Ticket in Israel
« on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:13 AM »
This is DW writing for my husband.  He traveled to Israel.  On the way from the airport to his lodgings the cops pulled them over.  Someone was driving my husband but since it was not a taxi my husband received a ticket for not buckling up in the back seat! The cop told him that there is a new system in place linking his passport to this ticket.  Is this true? What happens if he goes home without paying? Would he be successful in contesting the ticket based on the fact that he was unaware of the law as in his home state it's not required to buckle up in the back seat?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Driving Ticket in Israel
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:04:16 AM »
This is DW writing for my husband.  He traveled to Israel.  On the way from the airport to his lodgings the cops pulled them over.  Someone was driving my husband but since it was not a taxi my husband received a ticket for not buckling up in the back seat! The cop told him that there is a new system in place linking his passport to this ticket.  Is this true? What happens if he goes home without paying? Would he be successful in contesting the ticket based on the fact that he was unaware of the law as in his home state it's not required to buckle up in the back seat?
Though you can always try contesting a ticket that excuse will not fly over there. 
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline 1356Abe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Driving Ticket in Israel
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:43:42 AM »
Never show your passport to Israeli police officer. That is the only way they have of keeping a record on you.
How much is ticket? Might be worth it to get a new passport.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 04:17:25 AM »

Never show your passport to Israeli police officer. That is the only way they have of keeping a record on you.
Classis misconception.
Either way if they want your passport they will get it.

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:57:41 AM »
Classis misconception.

Not giving it makes them want it less.

Its weird that the cop actually went after a Chutznik for a seat belt ticket. I personally wouldn't pay for it and see how it plays out. That's just me.

I doubt they'll stop you from leaving the country although I may be wrong. I've yet to meet someone who was stopped at the border for not paying a ticket.

Offline 1356Abe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
Classis misconception.
Why do you say that?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »
Why do you say that?
Do you really think that your passport isn't in the system? How do you think you got into the country? By the guy asking you your name and taking your word for it? This isn't a third world country. Do you also believe the story about the guy who fooled the cop into thinking his Costco card was his license from the country of Costco? I didn't say they will, rather they could.
Also if they really want it they will make someone bring it if you claim its not on you, or they will take you in until someone brings it. You may get away with it but to say there's nothing they can do is naive.

Offline 1356Abe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »
Do you really think that your passport isn't in the system? How do you think you got into the country? By the guy asking you your name and taking your word for it? This isn't a third world country. Do you also believe the story about the guy who fooled the cop into thinking his Costco card was his license from the country of Costco? I didn't say they will, rather they could.
Also if they really want it they will make someone bring it if you claim its not on you, or they will take you in until someone brings it. You may get away with it but to say there's nothing they can do is naive.
No, you get into the country by showing your passport. And being that it's not a third world country if you give them your passport then they have a way of tracking you if you don't give them your passport they don't have a way of tracking you. That is why I was saying you never give them your passport unless they force you to give it to them. I'm not sure what it has to do with the Costco story but I'm guessing that you see some connection. And just for the record I got pulled over numerous times and every time they asked me for my passport and I said I do not have it and after like a couple of minutes of deliberating what they were going to do that just told me to drive off. Never did I get a ticket for a moving violation.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »

No, you get into the country by showing your passport. And being that it's not a third world country if you give them your passport then they have a way of tracking you if you don't give them your passport they don't have a way of tracking you. That is why I was saying you never give them your passport unless they force you to give it to them. I'm not sure what it has to do with the Costco story but I'm guessing that you see some connection. And just for the record I got pulled over numerous times and every time they asked me for my passport and I said I do not have it and after like a couple of minutes of deliberating what they were going to do that just told me to drive off. Never did I get a ticket for a moving violation.

They can track you by your info on your drivers license.
As I said before they can, though that doesn't mean they will.

Offline 1356Abe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 12:47:23 PM »

They can track you by your info on your drivers license.
As I said before they can, though that doesn't mean they will.
Do you have any proof to what you are saying? That is absolutely false, they have no way of keeping record of an American license.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
Do you have any proof to what you are saying? That is absolutely false, they have no way of keeping record of an American license.
I never said using the license number. By looking up name and other info. And yes, this happened to me 2 months ago, I didnt think it was possible either but after asking around I found at least 4 others also.
Also I have been through the legal system here so I have some grasp of what's possible.

Offline 1356Abe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »
I never said using the license number. By looking up name and other info. And yes, this happened to me 2 months ago, I didnt think it was possible either but after asking around I found at least 4 others also.
Also I have been through the legal system here so I have some grasp of what's possible.
Your name and what other info? There are thousands of people with the same name

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
Your name and what other info? There are thousands of people with the same name
Address, DOB... Everything is on it.
You can doubt it all you want, just remember that your doubt doesn't make something any less true.

Offline 1356Abe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
Address, DOB... Everything is on it.
You can doubt it all you want, just remember that your doubt doesn't make something any less true.
It sounds quite interesting to me that they're able to keep a record of your address but they're not able to keep a record of your license number. And besides if that's the case then why are they always demanding your passport?

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 02:07:34 PM »
Thanks.  :)

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 02:10:39 PM »
It sounds quite interesting to me that they're able to keep a record of your address but they're not able to keep a record of your license number. And besides if that's the case then why are they always demanding your passport?
I have no idea, nor do I have any idea what process they need to go through to get it, although at which point prior to getting pulled over did they have your license number? May not be worth it for them to track you down. When I got pulled over I gave them a false number and they awkwardly came back with the real number. Took them at least 10 minutes though.

Offline Lushkab

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:54 PM »
I got a parking ticket in Israel, should i pay it? Will the rental company (BUDGET) deduct from my CC ?
I'm not planning going back to Israel anytime soon

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 01:27:52 AM »
I got a parking ticket in Israel, should i pay it? Will the rental company (BUDGET) deduct from my CC ?
I'm not planning going back to Israel anytime soon
see here
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=28779.225
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 02:35:21 AM »
They ask for your passport to see if you are there legally and how long.

You can send in a letter to explain and see if they will change the ticket to a warning, or if that does not help,go to court and explain to judge.  Be respectful!
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 05:33:01 AM »
I finally got some internet (in TK lounge ;)), so I can write for myself (thanks DW!  :D ).
First of all thanks to all who weighed in. I actually decided to pay it (it's 250 shekel), however, every time I called, they couldn't find it in the system. So I left, with nary a mention of it at PP conrtrol. So now the question is if I should send in the בקשה להשפט with the excuse that in NJ it's not required, or should I just ignore it. It's definitely not worth getting a new PP, as that is more expensive than the ticket. Any thoughts? Thanks!