Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 399220 times)

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #1340 on: February 26, 2020, 11:22:25 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2

netgear r6700v2

Ditto. Bought this and has been fine.

+1

I used to buy my own. They never worked as well as the leased ones and had to be replaced frequently. $10 a month is worth it for peace of mind.

$10/month is almost as bad as paying for shipping
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: February 26, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
Say what you want, but my rented router always works well without a hitch, and is very fast and never frustrating. When I used my own, I had to deal with lagging and timeouts fairly frequently. To me, it’s worth $10 to avoid this hassle.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: February 26, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »
This sounds like the kind of fear-mongering an Optimum rep would tell someone on the phone to try convincing them not to buy their own. I strongly disagree.
I bought my modem on 1/18/16 for $55 on eBay and it still works perfectly fine with 100/mbps. Had I been paying $10 a month, I would have been out $490. That's a $435 savings. Even if I had to replace it multiple times, I would still come out ahead.
I answered the question that was asked. Obviously, I don't think it's the better choice to rent - a few lines before that, I wrote:
I bought ARRIS SurfBoard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem over 5 years ago. I used it for Time Warner and later brought it to another neighborhood and used it for Optimum.
Here is one more answer to the question that was asked: If you only need service short term and you will pay more by buying than by renting, you would want to rent.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1343 on: March 05, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »
Optimum 10         Register up to 3 devices
Optimum 60         Register up to 10 devices
Optimum 100       Register up to 15 devices
Optimum 200       Register up to 15 devices
Optimum 300       Register up to 15 devices

Don't remember who asked...
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 07, 2020, 08:52:13 PM »
Does anyone use their optimum smart router they give you for free?

Now why would i use that free device?
  Would that allow me to still use my google home throughout my home?
As well why would i want to expand their hotspot for optimum, and have people park in front of my home sitting on their phones while they have good optimum connection?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 07, 2020, 09:46:54 PM »
Does anyone use their optimum smart router they give you for free?

Now why would i use that free device?
  Would that allow me to still use my google home throughout my home?
As well why would i want to expand their hotspot for optimum, and have people park in front of my home sitting on their phones while they have good optimum connection?
Because it's free.

The only way to know is to test it out.

If you're in Brooklyn it might be a concern but in Lakewood I highly doubt that would happen enough to affect you in any reasonable way.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 07, 2020, 09:50:56 PM »
Because it's free.

The only way to know is to test it out.

If you're in Brooklyn it might be a concern but in Lakewood I highly doubt that would happen enough to affect you in any reasonable way.
Saying good, Now can i connect my google homes to it? meaning i have three homes, would that allow me to connect all three Vs having one by my computer?
While i can now have one by my main floor where my ring doorbell will receive stronger connections?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 08, 2020, 11:22:41 PM »
Is it only me or is there a slowdown in brooklyn area?

Can someone try? Here's a link to test on your own; just google the words 'speed test' and a page with a button will pop up, if you don't mind to tell me what the results are? thanks.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 15, 2020, 12:34:51 PM »
Whats the best way to test my Internet speed?

Eta my internet is slow, and this is what optimum recommended.

http://alticeusa.speedtestcustom.com/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:56:54 PM by myi »

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 15, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
speedtest.net

Online TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: March 15, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »
Is it only me or is there a slowdown in brooklyn area?

Can someone try? Here's a link to test on your own; just google the words 'speed test' and a page with a button will pop up, if you don't mind to tell me what the results are? thanks.
What numbers were you getting ?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 15, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »
speedtest.net
Make sure you have an ad blocker for this site, lots of ads load on that site, or use this site without any ads.

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 15, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »

First connect directly with Ethernet cable to modem and do a speed test. See if it's good. If yes then connect router and do the same with cable. If yes then do wireless. Odds are it's the equipment
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 15, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
First connect directly with Ethernet cable to modem and do a speed test. See if it's good. If yes then connect router and do the same with cable. If yes then do wireless. Odds are it's the equipment
Tried both ways i have 30mbps and im paying for 400mb.

They're ripping me off, i found a plan for the same exact MB for $64.99 and $100 amazon gc with free installation and enter coupon code optimum10 for $10 off.
 That price is for life! Now i need some time to kill to haggle with them.

https://order.optimum.com/Buyflow/Products

Has anyone left them and came back to them 30 days later to get a new plan?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 15, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »
Tried both ways i have 30mbps and im paying for 400mb.

They're ripping me off, i found a plan for the same exact MB for $64.99 and $100 amazon gc with free installation and enter coupon code optimum10 for $10 off.
 That price is for life! Now i need some time to kill to haggle with them.

https://order.optimum.com/Buyflow/Products

Has anyone left them and came back to them 30 days later to get a new plan?
   Here's the t&c and it seems as long as you weren't with them for the past 30 days you should be fine and be eligible to RE-subscribe to the plan, and with the Amazon gc you need 12 months.

400 MBPS INTERNET OFFER DISCLAIMER
OFFER for new residential customers. Former accts. prev not in good standing or have disconnected srvc within past 30 days or for seasonal move not eligible. Restrictions apply. Offer is not transferrable, may not be combined w/other offers, is limited to advertised level of srvc, and is not available in all areas. Other terms & conditions apply. PRICE FOR LIFE (PFL): Applies to base price for internet or internet/video service, equipment charges and optional phone service. All other fees, surcharges and taxes subject to change. Must maintain all srvcs at req’d level and be in good standing to maintain PFL pricing. PFL pricing applies to life of current account holder and is non-transferrable. EQUIP & TAXES & FEES: Free standard installation with online orders. Modem-lease will be charged $10.00 a month. Depending on location, some or all service and equipment rates, plus certain add’l charges, are subject to state and/or local fee. A Network Enhancement Fee of $3.50, all other fees, equipment charges, surcharges and taxes will be added to the monthly bill. OPTIMUM INTERNET: Minimum system requirements and equipment configurations apply. Speed claims: Advertised speed for wired connection. Up to 400 Mbps Download/up to 40 Mbps Upload. Many factors affect speed, see optimum.com/speedfactors. Actual speeds may vary & are not guaranteed. Unlimited data subject to reasonable network management practices employed to minimize congestion or other service degradation. Free Smart Router available with leased modem. Limit 1 router per household. Terms & conditions apply. CONTRACT BUYOUT: Must provide copy of bill from competing provider, in same name and at same address, showing early termination fee (ETF) amount and that you were an active customer with the competitor at time of sale without a past due balance. Bill may be submitted by email to proofconfirmation@alticeusa.com or by mail to Altice USA, Attn: Sales Support, 200 Jericho Quadrangle, 2nd Floor, Jericho, NY 11753. Once all documents are received, you will receive a bill credit covering ETF amount up to max of $100 within 6-8 weeks provided account is maintained in good standing. 30-day money back guarantee is only for the monthly fee. Optimum must be contacted within first 30 days of service to receive full refund. AMAZON.COM GIFT CARD: Amazon.com offer is not available to individuals who have previously participated in an Optimum Amazon.com gift card promotion within the past 12 months. Amazon.com Gift Card will be mailed to customers who maintain promotion and remain in good standing with no past due or returned payments throughout first 90 days after account activation. Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Limit 1 per customer. Other terms & conditions apply. All rights reserved. Amazon.com is not a sponsor of this promotion. Except as required by law, Amazon.com Gift Cards cannot be transferred for value or redeemed for cash. Amazon.com Gift Cards may be used only for purchases of eligible goods at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites. Restrictions apply, see www.amazon.com/gc-legal. Alexa is a service of Amazon and is operated on Amazon’s systems. Hands-Free Voice Control with Altice One requires the installation of the Altice One Alexa Skill. Your use of Alexa and the Altice One Skill is subject to your agreements with Amazon and Amazon’s privacy policy. Altice is not affiliated with Amazon and is not a party to or responsible for your agreements with Amazon or for its products and services. Pricing, offers, and terms subject to change and discontinuance w/o notice. All services may not be avail in all areas. All trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owner. Optimum, the Optimum family of marks and Optimum logos are registered trademarks of CSC Holdings, LLC. ©2020 CSC Holdings, LLC, a subsidiary of Altice USA, Inc.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 15, 2020, 03:20:32 PM »
https://www.optimum.net/pages/security/mcafee.html

Anyone use the Mcafee software they offer?

I find the mcafee slows and bugs your computer.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 15, 2020, 03:24:37 PM »
What numbers were you getting ?
35mbps

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 21, 2020, 10:01:40 PM »

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 21, 2020, 10:50:45 PM »
I bought ARRIS SurfBoard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem over 5 years ago. I used it for Time Warner and later brought it to another neighborhood and used it for Optimum.
I just signed up for 300Mbps service. I gave the MAC of the SB6121 to the technician who came to install it and asked him to get it working without coming inside, which he was able to do. After getting slow results from my speed tests, I realized that this 4 X 4 modem technically can't communicate at 300Mbps. Off to eBay to buy a better model...

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 22, 2020, 12:55:57 AM »
Up or down?
They told me i need a tech to come down, had one scheduled for last week Wednesday but I was ganna get hit over my head if he would have came ,so he was cancelled.
  35 upload and 40 Download.