Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 405432 times)

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #1600 on: January 11, 2021, 07:10:43 PM »
Seems like some people are mixing up modem and router over here.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #1601 on: January 11, 2021, 07:59:34 PM »
Not true. You can use a compatible modem as long as you don't get voice through them.
Do you have 1 Gig with ur own modem?
or anyone here can tell me they have 1 Gig and use there own modem I do not think its possible

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 11, 2021, 09:06:53 PM »
Seems like some people are mixing up modem and router over here.
Modem=brings wired internet into your home
Router=spreads internet wirelessly around your home

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 11, 2021, 09:44:07 PM »
or anyone here can tell me they have 1 Gig and use there own modem I do not think its possible
It is 100% possible. You may have to find a normal rep to activate it on your account, but it will work. I can recommend a few models.

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 11, 2021, 10:52:14 PM »
There might be two types of (almost) 1Gbps service with optimum. One type is just a faster version of the other cable services and is limited to about 50Mbps upload. The other type goes over fiber optic cable and has upload speeds that are also (almost) 1Gbps.

For the former, my understanding was that if you buy your own cable modem that can handle the speed, just plug it in and activate it online.

Offline E.c

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: January 11, 2021, 10:59:36 PM »
When I called today they assured me that I can use my own modem. I ended up paying $68.50 for 1 gb with optimum modem included

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 12, 2021, 12:03:08 AM »
There might be two types of (almost) 1Gbps service with optimum. One type is just a faster version of the other cable services and is limited to about 50Mbps upload. The other type goes over fiber optic cable and has upload speeds that are also (almost) 1Gbps.

For the former, my understanding was that if you buy your own cable modem that can handle the speed, just plug it in and activate it online.
That is 100% correct. My mistake for assuming that @Joel was talking about the cable version, and not the fiber version. Unfortunately, the fiber ONT/router combo they give out does not support bridge mode yet, either, although the same device does elsewhere ( Parent company Altice in France uses it).

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #1607 on: January 12, 2021, 12:08:01 AM »
When I called today they assured me that I can use my own modem. I ended up paying $68.50 for 1 gb with optimum modem included
If you can get ur own modem it will be $10 cheaper. But guessing its not possible

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 13, 2021, 09:25:49 AM »
Modem=brings wired internet into your home
Router=spreads internet wirelessly around your home
FTFY
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: February 01, 2021, 07:45:34 AM »
Interesting article in the Asbury Park Press about Optimum service in Howell, NJ.

Howell 'horrible' Optimum internet service gets Township Council attention
Alex N. Gecan
Asbury Park Press

HOWELL - Imagine your internet going out. Now imagine it going out when you have to work from home, and your children have to attend school from home. Hundreds of Howell residents have been dealing with just that.

After Optimum subscribers reported more and more problems over the pandemic summer, the township began asking that users keep them in the loop, and have collected 678 specific complaints so far, according to township Manager Brian Geoghegan.

The Township Council has gone so far as to ask a state regulator to halve Optimum's rates to local subscribers.

Meanwhile, attorneys for the township and representatives from Altice USA, which operates Optimum, are hammering out a renewal of the provider's franchise agreement with the town.

"We've been having a lot of issues throughout town," Geoghegan told the Asbury Park Press in a phone interview. "Anytime we've had contact with Optimum or Xfinity or Comcast these days, they're blaming it on everyone working from home, kids home-schooling. ... They're having a hard time keeping up with it."

Altice has "worked closely with the town over the last few months as we continue to invest in our network, products and services to support the increasing demands of our customers, including undertaking recent network activity to improve broadband reliability and performance and launching faster broadband speeds, including our 1 gigabit speed tier," Janet Meahan, a spokeswoman for Altice, said in an email inquiring after Howell subscribers' complaints.

Meahan added: "We are looking forward to continuing productive conversations with the Howell community and remain committed to delivering high-quality service and support to the community."

Shoddy internet service, specifically with Optimum, has been a constant topic at public meetings, with Mayor Theresa Berger describing Optimum's service as "horrible" in a September Township Council meeting and name-dropping Optimum as one of the issues she intended to take on in her new term, which began this month.

Internet access has become crucial to both professionals and students as the world continues to grapple with COVID-19. Around three fourths of students in the township's public K-8 district have opted to attend school in person, according to district officials.

But 60% of the Freehold Regional High School District, to which Howell also belongs, is now virtual, up from 40% last semester, according to district Superintendent Charles Sampson.

Most of Howell's only option for cable and internet is Optimum, which must provide service to the entire township, according to its franchise agreement. Verizon also has a franchise in town but its service is not widely available, making Howell something of a captive market for Optimum. Precise figures were not immediately available on how many Howell residents subscribe to each service, but Verizon's Fios service is available to less than 43% of the township, according to Broadband Now.

According to the complaints the township has received, subscribers are not just rankled at service outages, but also with billing increases.

"People are just generally frustrated, they're paying more for what is now worse service," Geoghegan said.

But while the complaints the township has collected give it ammunition at the bargaining table, they don't necessarily translate into an immediate remedy for the subscriber.

"When we started getting complaints, I tried telling people, it is a private company, there's not a lot we can do about it," Geoghegan said. "It would seem when they file a complaint with the (New Jersey) Board of Public Utilities it tends to get noticed."

It is the BPU that the Township Council asked to intercede.

In October, Berger and council members Evelyn O'Donnell and John Bonevich voted in favor of a resolution asking BPU to direct Altice to give Howell subscribers a 50% rate cut. Councilwoman Pamela Richmond was absent and Councilman Thomas Russo abstained.

The township has hired Andrew Bayer, a lawyer who specializes in litigation, municipal law and land use, to spearhead the negotiations.

The township first signed a franchise agreement, which requires the provider to offer service everywhere in town, in 2009, according to township records. At the time the provider was still called Cablevision.

The agreement does not exclude any other providers from moving in, and mandates that the provider pay annual fees to the township, which Geoghegan estimated to be around $300,000. Providers may also renew franchises directly through the BPU, as Verizon is doing.

Whether Verizon will become a realistic second option remains to be seen.

"We have reached out to them to encourage them to try and build out their network more," Geoghegan said. "They were very receptive but they haven an internal process. ... I don't know if that is actually going to happen."

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: February 01, 2021, 08:23:12 AM »
I see another network enhancement fee coming

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: February 01, 2021, 10:06:11 AM »
Interesting article in the Asbury Park Press about Optimum service in Howell, NJ.

Howell 'horrible' Optimum internet service gets Township Council attention
Alex N. Gecan
Asbury Park Press

HOWELL - Imagine your internet going out. Now imagine it going out when you have to work from home, and your children have to attend school from home. Hundreds of Howell residents have been dealing with just that.

After Optimum subscribers reported more and more problems over the pandemic summer, the township began asking that users keep them in the loop, and have collected 678 specific complaints so far, according to township Manager Brian Geoghegan.

The Township Council has gone so far as to ask a state regulator to halve Optimum's rates to local subscribers.

Meanwhile, attorneys for the township and representatives from Altice USA, which operates Optimum, are hammering out a renewal of the provider's franchise agreement with the town.

"We've been having a lot of issues throughout town," Geoghegan told the Asbury Park Press in a phone interview. "Anytime we've had contact with Optimum or Xfinity or Comcast these days, they're blaming it on everyone working from home, kids home-schooling. ... They're having a hard time keeping up with it."

Altice has "worked closely with the town over the last few months as we continue to invest in our network, products and services to support the increasing demands of our customers, including undertaking recent network activity to improve broadband reliability and performance and launching faster broadband speeds, including our 1 gigabit speed tier," Janet Meahan, a spokeswoman for Altice, said in an email inquiring after Howell subscribers' complaints.

Meahan added: "We are looking forward to continuing productive conversations with the Howell community and remain committed to delivering high-quality service and support to the community."

Shoddy internet service, specifically with Optimum, has been a constant topic at public meetings, with Mayor Theresa Berger describing Optimum's service as "horrible" in a September Township Council meeting and name-dropping Optimum as one of the issues she intended to take on in her new term, which began this month.

Internet access has become crucial to both professionals and students as the world continues to grapple with COVID-19. Around three fourths of students in the township's public K-8 district have opted to attend school in person, according to district officials.

But 60% of the Freehold Regional High School District, to which Howell also belongs, is now virtual, up from 40% last semester, according to district Superintendent Charles Sampson.

Most of Howell's only option for cable and internet is Optimum, which must provide service to the entire township, according to its franchise agreement. Verizon also has a franchise in town but its service is not widely available, making Howell something of a captive market for Optimum. Precise figures were not immediately available on how many Howell residents subscribe to each service, but Verizon's Fios service is available to less than 43% of the township, according to Broadband Now.

According to the complaints the township has received, subscribers are not just rankled at service outages, but also with billing increases.

"People are just generally frustrated, they're paying more for what is now worse service," Geoghegan said.

But while the complaints the township has collected give it ammunition at the bargaining table, they don't necessarily translate into an immediate remedy for the subscriber.

"When we started getting complaints, I tried telling people, it is a private company, there's not a lot we can do about it," Geoghegan said. "It would seem when they file a complaint with the (New Jersey) Board of Public Utilities it tends to get noticed."

It is the BPU that the Township Council asked to intercede.

In October, Berger and council members Evelyn O'Donnell and John Bonevich voted in favor of a resolution asking BPU to direct Altice to give Howell subscribers a 50% rate cut. Councilwoman Pamela Richmond was absent and Councilman Thomas Russo abstained.

The township has hired Andrew Bayer, a lawyer who specializes in litigation, municipal law and land use, to spearhead the negotiations.

The township first signed a franchise agreement, which requires the provider to offer service everywhere in town, in 2009, according to township records. At the time the provider was still called Cablevision.

The agreement does not exclude any other providers from moving in, and mandates that the provider pay annual fees to the township, which Geoghegan estimated to be around $300,000. Providers may also renew franchises directly through the BPU, as Verizon is doing.

Whether Verizon will become a realistic second option remains to be seen.

"We have reached out to them to encourage them to try and build out their network more," Geoghegan said. "They were very receptive but they haven an internal process. ... I don't know if that is actually going to happen."

How does this work? Any broadband internet provider has to pay the township for the privilege of offering service in that township? Is that standard?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Starting a "new" account for Optimum
« Reply #1612 on: February 11, 2021, 12:17:15 AM »
I pay too much for Optimum internet.
I got a postcard from them offering new customers internet for much less than I pay.
I want to use a different family member's name to start 'new' service.
How do I do this?

Cancel  my service first?
Will the 'new' account need proof of a lease or something?

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a "new" account for Optimum
« Reply #1613 on: February 11, 2021, 12:52:34 AM »
I got a postcard from them offering new customers internet for much less than I pay.
How do I do this?

Just call and ask for the retention department. They'll likely give you a discount on your current subscription.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: February 11, 2021, 12:55:18 AM »
Just call and ask for the retention department. They'll likely give you a discount on your current subscription.
+1
Might wanna check out fios as well
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: February 11, 2021, 12:56:50 AM »
+1
Might wanna check out fios as well
No fios on my block.  :(

Offline smart man

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: February 11, 2021, 02:20:45 AM »
How do I do this?

What’s the new customer offer that you received? I just priced optimum and they seem to be quite expensive.

Online ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: February 11, 2021, 08:31:20 AM »
It’s non-transferable, but I saw it on the optimum website.
Optimum.com/speed

As low as $25/ mon for internet. For 1 year
$40 for 300 Mbps ($5 less than fios)
Etc
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:54:39 AM by ckmk47 »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: February 11, 2021, 08:46:06 AM »
What’s the new customer offer that you received? I just priced optimum and they seem to be quite expensive.

They play shtick with the pricing, it varies by address and changes all the time. Not sure how they get away with it.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline smart man

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: February 11, 2021, 09:19:27 AM »
It’s non-transferable, but I saw it on the optimum website.
Optimum.com/speed

As low as $25/ mon for internet. For 1 year
$40 for 300 Mbps ($5 less than fios)
Etc
They play shtick with the pricing, it varies by address and changes all the time. Not sure how they get away with it.
Ye I saw those prices but when I actually called they said it’s more like $53-$57 after everything. I only have optimum on my block too, so I’m just going to have to do it. Unless there’s a smaller company that I can get?