Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 404564 times)

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #1700 on: February 18, 2021, 11:02:09 AM »
We got that one too.
Keep in mind that it supports a 2nd phone line too.
Yes

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 18, 2021, 11:08:51 AM »
Have Optimum 300 and get constantly around 200 Mbps using wifi with a mesh system which is normal for optimum as they never give you the real Mbps
Paying for 300 and the mesh system giving you 200 doesn’t necessarily mean the issue is on the Optimum side..

Plug computer directly into modem via Ethernet cable and run a Speedtest. This will tell you if you’re getting what you pay for and it’s being lost in your house, or if it’s coming in short.

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 18, 2021, 11:32:58 AM »
Have Optimum 300 and get constantly around 200 Mbps using wifi with a mesh system which is normal for optimum as they never give you the real Mbps
Maybe run a speed test while hard-wired to the router to see if the mesh system or the modem or Optimum is the issue.

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #1703 on: February 18, 2021, 11:49:41 AM »
Paying for 300 and the mesh system giving you 200 doesn’t necessarily mean the issue is on the Optimum side..

Maybe run a speed test while hard-wired to the router to see if the mesh system or the modem or Optimum is the issue.
Actually getting almost 300mbts when connected directly to router guess I lose 50-100 when using wifi. But the modem can defiantly handle 300 so no need to buy the more expensive modem

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 18, 2021, 04:12:36 PM »
Can we keep this thread “life insurance free”?
Okay.

It's like Joe Biden. You may get a cheap unimposing guy but he'll do a weak job at best.

Better?   ;)

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 18, 2021, 06:00:58 PM »
FTFY

I know people who specifically don't have a router, because they don't want their children to access their internet, or to even know that their is internet access]. Rather they plug their computers into the modem with an Ethernet cable, which puts internet directly from the modem to their computers, and they don't have wifi access in their home.
If you don't want WiFi and have more than one computer or device that needs internet access, you still want a router, just not a wireless router. If you plug more than one device into the modem, don't you have to pay extra for additional IP addresses?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 18, 2021, 06:02:44 PM »
If you don't want WiFi and have more than one computer or device that needs internet access, you still want a router, just not a wireless router. If you plug more than one device into the modem, don't you have to pay extra for additional IP addresses?
As my governor would say, that question is above my pay grade.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: February 18, 2021, 07:15:16 PM »
Most home modems (especially the older ones) only have 1 port for Ethernet out. If you want more then that hardwired (not wireless), you can plug in a switch.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: February 18, 2021, 07:20:27 PM »
Most home modems (especially the older ones) only have 1 port for Ethernet out. If you want more then that hardwired (not wireless), you can plug in a switch.

A switch is dumb, it just routes the traffic between ports. Your modem would have to be set up for DHCP, as the default gateway, etc (likely the case already). If it doesn’t do that and/or want to do other fancier stuff (like having reserved IPs for certain computers on your network, custom DNS, etc) then you can use a router that’ll do all that for you.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: February 19, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »
A switch is dumb, it just routes the traffic between ports. Your modem would have to be set up for DHCP, as the default gateway, etc (likely the case already). If it doesn’t do that and/or want to do other fancier stuff (like having reserved IPs for certain computers on your network, custom DNS, etc) then you can use a router that’ll do all that for you.
My comment was on YitzyS's post which I assumed was referring to either a modem (without built in router) with multiple Ethernet ports or a modem (without built in router) with one Ethernet port into which you plug a switch. Either way, each computer or device you plug in would need its own publicly routable IP address. Whether static or dynamic, I assumed Optimum charges extra for more than one at a time.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: February 19, 2021, 01:45:09 PM »
My comment was on YitzyS's post which I assumed was referring to either a modem (without built in router) with multiple Ethernet ports or a modem (without built in router) with one Ethernet port into which you plug a switch. Either way, each computer or device you plug in would need its own publicly routable IP address. Whether static or dynamic, I assumed Optimum charges extra for more than one at a time.
My post was just to correct a post that stated a "need" for a router. I was merely saying that I know people who use internet without it. Those are the type of people who make sure their kids are sleeping and then take their laptop out of their lockboxes ("eh, ah Lakewood style safe, eh") and plug it into their modems with an Ethernet cable to check their emails to see if their new sefer has shipped already from Eretz Yisroel ("ah geveldike sefer, it's the first time anyone wrote a pirush on Reb Boruch Ber's letter about college! It's going to sell like hot latkas!")

No, I was not saying that the type of people who spend enough time on DDF to get up to page a hundred-and-whatever in the Optimum internet thread would find just a modem sufficient for their intervesh needs.

**Disclaimer: this post was written with the intent to provide good natured humor. Please don't make this Exhibit E (or wherever we're holding) in the discussion about the State of the Forums.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 01, 2021, 04:04:44 PM »
I actually set my own up without having to call them, was real simple, disconnected my old one.. put in my new one and went on to the optimums website and synced it automatically.
Where on the site is the option to sync a new modem?

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1712 on: April 01, 2021, 04:21:43 PM »
Where on the site is the option to sync a new modem?
First disconnect your old one...
 Or rather Google how to set up a new modem you got with Optimum.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 01, 2021, 04:30:48 PM »
First disconnect your old one...
 Or rather Google how to set up a new modem you got with Optimum.
Ended up calling them to set up.
A little shaky right now - not always is there a dial tone.
We'll see as the day goes along.
Seems almost to easy to be without a hitch.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 15, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Just spoke to Optimum and $14.99/mo Altice Advantage is eligible for $5 autopay discount bringing the total monthly bill down to just $9.99.

CSR had to set up the autopay discount separately. Hopefully not a case of DROPR...

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 15, 2021, 12:11:32 PM »
Just spoke to Optimum and $14.99/mo Altice Advantage is eligible for $5 autopay discount bringing the total monthly bill down to just $9.99.

CSR had to set up the autopay discount separately. Hopefully not a case of DROPR...
"You can have an additional $5 discount for 3 months if you choose to enroll in auto-pay at time of sale."
So your $9.99 is real, but just for 3 months.

https://www.alticeadvantageinternet.com/
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 15, 2021, 12:13:10 PM »
"You can have an additional $5 discount for 3 months if you choose to enroll in auto-pay at time of sale."
So your $9.99 is real, but just for 3 months.

https://www.alticeadvantageinternet.com/

Interesting, the CSR didn’t say that, let’s see how it plays out.

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 15, 2021, 12:13:49 PM »
Interesting, the CSR didn’t say that, let’s see how it plays out.
I got it for 3 months and then it was done.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 15, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »
interesting; i'm now eligble for this.
I currently have regular optimum service (optimum 20 or 10, $25/30 mo)
in the past, I've been unable to sign up for this without 1st canceling
now the website lets my address sign up, even with current service intact...

also; it automatically includes autopay discount:
Auto Pay and Paperless Billing Discount
-$5.00
Modem
$0.00
* Pricing with Auto Pay Discount
$0.00 for months 1-2
$9.99 for months 3-5
$14.99 starting month 6

ETA:
Your online order has been received and canceled due to your existing account at this address.

If you’d like to change or add on additional services to your existing account, please call 1-800-333-4857.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:28:13 PM by gozalim »

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 30, 2021, 01:58:35 PM »
@ae123 @myi thanks for the recommendations!

Here's how it went:
Called regular customer service and put myself in line for a callback. Got one an hour later. Went through the same annoying shpiel as with the first rep. Was too upset to keep trying and asked her to transfer me to the retention team.

Got transferred within minutes. Here's a basic transcript:
Me: My bill got raised from $49.99 to $69.99 last month. Things are difficult as is- I simply can't afford the extra $20 right now.
Rep: Not to worry. I can help. We don't have a promo on the Optimum 100 right now, but I can offer you Optimum 200 at $53.99. If you enroll in autopay (which I already am) I'll drop it to $48.99.
Me: Crying tears of joy and thanking him and all his generations.
Rep: I'll make sure to put in a credit for last month too so you'll see that on your next bill as well.
Me:  :) ;) ;D ::) :'(

Looks like a year has passed- newest bill arrived for $68.49. Time to give the retention department a ring.