Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 399316 times)

Offline sammy n

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #860 on: December 24, 2015, 08:00:46 AM »

I don't believe they offer phone service only without internet.
-1 my parents have it.

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 24, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »
-1 my parents have it.

In any case even if they do offer and they most certainly don't provide you an Optimum smart router.

Offline sammy n

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 24, 2015, 10:12:41 AM »

In any case even if they do offer and they most certainly don't provide you an Optimum smart router.
Not sure what a "smart router" is but they'll definitely gave some type of big black router.

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 24, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »
Not sure what a "smart router" is but they'll definitely gave some type of big black router.
I think your talking about the modem?

Offline sammy n

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 24, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »

I think your talking about the modem?
You may be correct on that. I'll have to check it out and see what it is exactly.

Offline Malachi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 24, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »
I have just phone service with no internet with optimum. I now want to get Internet as well. Will. I qualify for the promotional rate as a first time customer. I want to keep my phone number.
anyone?
Denny Crane

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 24, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »
anyone?
You should qualify.

I moved to a new address after having Optimum internet at my old place for 6 months. The phone rep cancelled my old plan, and then gave me another full year at the promo rate.

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 25, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »
For years I paid $29.95 with extensions of the promo. This year they raised me to $49.95 but threw in high-speed. Now they tell me the promo ended, and the next year will be $59.95 for regular speed, $64.95 for high-speed - without phone! Have people been able to do better than this lately, and if so, how? If not, any other reasonable alternatives in Brooklyn?

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 25, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
For years I paid $29.95 with extensions of the promo. This year they raised me to $49.95 but threw in high-speed. Now they tell me the promo ended, and the next year will be $59.95 for regular speed, $64.95 for high-speed - without phone! Have people been able to do better than this lately, and if so, how? If not, any other reasonable alternatives in Brooklyn?
Why not put it in wife's name.  New customer

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 26, 2015, 07:34:30 PM »
can the new customer take over the same phone number? as I want to keep that or do I need to port out and back in

Offline Malachi

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: December 26, 2015, 11:28:59 PM »
You should qualify.

I moved to a new address after having Optimum internet at my old place for 6 months. The phone rep cancelled my old plan, and then gave me another full year at the promo rate.
thanks.
Denny Crane

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 27, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. To do that, do I need to shut down my existing account, return their modem, etc., and then open a new account and have them come and reinstall everything? That would obviously be a big pain (and would leave me without Internet for a little while). If not, how can I seamlessly continue my account by convincing them that a new name at the same address is a brand new account and qualifies for promotional pricing? I only have Internet, not phone, if that makes a difference.

Offline Ask5599

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 27, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. To do that, do I need to shut down my existing account, return their modem, etc., and then open a new account and have them come and reinstall everything? That would obviously be a big pain (and would leave me without Internet for a little while). If not, how can I seamlessly continue my account by convincing them that a new name at the same address is a brand new account and qualifies for promotional pricing? I only have Internet, not phone, if that makes a difference.
you might have to pay the new $5 monthly modem fee

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 28, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
you might have to pay the new $5 monthly modem fee
It's currently waived for the first year.

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 29, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »
Follow-up: I called retention yesterday. The guy said there are no promotions and the best he can offer me is $59.95. I asked about canceling service, and he told me that if I try to cancel and then reconnect OR have another relative reconnect, they will do some public data records search, and anybody who lived at my house while I had it will NOT get the new customer promo.

I was about to give up hope, when he then told me that if I want to decrease my speed from 50/25 to 5/1, I could have it for $29.95. I was discussing with him how that would practically impact my ability to email, web browse, etc., and he then said he'd hate to see me do it and offered me a $10 credit for the next 3 months (so I'm still paying the $49.95 I had until now). He said there may be new promos out during that time.

Anyone else have any better luck recently getting a better offer from retention? If not, does anybody know anything about the 5/1 service and if it's worth it to save $ (I couldn't even find the plan mentioned online)? Or is there any other reasonable alternative ISP in Brooklyn?

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 29, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »
Follow-up: I called retention yesterday. The guy said there are no promotions and the best he can offer me is $59.95. I asked about canceling service, and he told me that if I try to cancel and then reconnect OR have another relative reconnect, they will do some public data records search, and anybody who lived at my house while I had it will NOT get the new customer promo.

I was about to give up hope, when he then told me that if I want to decrease my speed from 50/25 to 5/1, I could have it for $29.95. I was discussing with him how that would practically impact my ability to email, web browse, etc., and he then said he'd hate to see me do it and offered me a $10 credit for the next 3 months (so I'm still paying the $49.95 I had until now). He said there may be new promos out during that time.

Anyone else have any better luck recently getting a better offer from retention? If not, does anybody know anything about the 5/1 service and if it's worth it to save $ (I couldn't even find the plan mentioned online)? Or is there any other reasonable alternative ISP in Brooklyn?
Can you take his $29.95 offer, and then call and add Ultra 50 for $4.95 a month?

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 29, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
Can you take his $29.95 offer, and then call and add Ultra 50 for $4.95 a month?
no.
I got the $29.95 offer by mail. tried to upgrade like that, no go. the $5 offer is from "optimum online" (25/5) not from "optimum basic" (5/1).
(see here http://www.optimum.com/home-internet-service/broadband/  bottom of page).

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 30, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
no.
I got the $29.95 offer by mail. tried to upgrade like that, no go. the $5 offer is from "optimum online" (25/5) not from "optimum basic" (5/1).
(see here http://www.optimum.com/home-internet-service/broadband/  bottom of page).
I have had the 5/1 for 3 months already and assuming your not relying on your internet for Netflix, it's fine. The only pain points are downloads and uploads of actual files which are rather slow.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 30, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »
I have had the 5/1 for 3 months already and assuming your not relying on your internet for Netflix, it's fine. The only pain points are downloads and uploads of actual files which are rather slow.
Youtube is fine ?

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 30, 2015, 09:19:22 AM »
Youtube is fine ?
For 480 yes, for HD you need to wait a big longer to load