Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 399217 times)

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #1020 on: July 24, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
Where do you see 100mb for $40 no contract?
Online on optimum.com. Or you can call in.

Offline beeweegee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 24, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »
On Friday I called again and told them my price just went up to $70 a month for 50 or 60mb (including modem rental fee) while on their website they are offering 100mb speed for $40 no contract. Anyway after a brief hold her tells me my new price is $45 (inc $5 for modem rental fee) for 100mb speed and I'll be receiving a new modem in the mail.
That is while I got a letter several weeks ago that my monthly fee is going up to$70 and getting bombarded with calls from Optimum to pay even more for faster internet! What the Chutzpah? They wanted me to pay more then I was paying while on their website they offer more for less.. Sounds like cellphone carrier practice to me. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with their service.
;D ;D

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 24, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
On Friday I called again and told them my price just went up to $70 a month for 50 or 60mb (including modem rental fee) while on their website they are offering 100mb speed for $40 no contract. Anyway after a brief hold her tells me my new price is $45 (inc $5 for modem rental fee) for 100mb speed and I'll be receiving a new modem in the mail.
That is while I got a letter several weeks ago that my monthly fee is going up to$70 and getting bombarded with calls from Optimum to pay even more for faster internet! What the Chutzpah? They wanted me to pay more then I was paying while on their website they offer more for less.. Sounds like cellphone carrier practice to me. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with their service.
You got it all wrong, cellphone carriers are like cable providers, they're just not as bad.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline lowvoltageguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 24, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
😂
It's worth too much.

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 25, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »
I've called twice with the same issue and response both times was there's nothing that they can do.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline lowvoltageguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 25, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »
If u can use another name (wife etc) close the account and reopen on a new name. There is no reason the price should keep on going up every year like the rent in Brooklyn and it's not adjusted according to inflation. If they can offer better plans for cheaper for new customers w/no contract then they are just holding on for dear life to your extra dinero.
It's worth too much.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 25, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
If u can use another name (wife etc) close the account and reopen on a new name. There is no reason the price should keep on going up every year like the rent in Brooklyn and it's not adjusted according to inflation. If they can offer better plans for cheaper for new customers w/no contract then they are just holding on for dear life to your extra dinero.
Same last name at same address doesn't matter?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline lowvoltageguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 25, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »
I never tried it but earlier in the thread I was told to try/do it. Did you tell them you will switch providers?
It's worth too much.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 25, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »
I never tried it but earlier in the thread I was told to try/do it. Did you tell them you will switch providers?
Yup, still no go.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline lowvoltageguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 25, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
I would try to cancel and order under a new name new account maybe under a maiden name.
It's worth too much.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1030 on: July 25, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »
Bumped into this thread only because I've been bombarded with phone calls from optimum for the past few weeks and I'm paying just for the modem and internet(no phn,use a different company)around $64 and now wants for another $10 to upgrade for the 100mps? Seems I'm getting ripped off.

Will definitely take a look on their website if it's still there, any chance you have a direct link to the offer? (or I will just check to see if I can find it.)

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 25, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
some offers exclude address currently (or recently?) getting service

Offline lowvoltageguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 25, 2017, 09:11:11 PM »
@myi
Here's the link
https://order.optimum.com/Buyflow/Storefront

Enter your address. I entered my address but "not" my apartment number, that may make a difference. Then u can select which of the three services u want.

Here's a pic of what I selected.

It's worth too much.

Offline myi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1033 on: July 26, 2017, 02:09:52 AM »
@myi
Here's the link
https://order.optimum.com/Buyflow/Storefront

Enter your address. I entered my address but "not" my apartment number, that may make a difference. Then u can select which of the three services u want.

Here's a pic of what I selected.

Thanks.
  Will definitely try to call tomorrow and see what can be done.

I appreciate the reply and the picture.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 18, 2017, 11:38:03 AM »
They just added a modem fee this month. >:(

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: August 18, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »
you can buy a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for $80 on amazon

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #1036 on: August 21, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
You got lucky that they didn't add it until now.
I bought a refurbished modem on ebay 5 months ago for ~$25 and it's been fine. No need to pay modem rental or high price for your own modem.

I also followed others on this thread and went down to Optimum 10. It's just fine and now paying just $25 a month total.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 21, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
You got lucky that they didn't add it until now.
I bought a refurbished modem on ebay 5 months ago for ~$25 and it's been fine. No need to pay modem rental or high price for your own modem.

I also followed others on this thread and went down to Optimum 10. It's just fine and now paying just $25 a month total.
did you try get the promotional Optimum 20 for $20/mo?

Offline ydbe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: daf yomi
« Reply #1038 on: August 21, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »
Like Avid Reader, I downgraded to the optimum 10 plan for $25. I didn't try to get the optimum 20 offer, because I think it is just for 1 year, then I have to go through  the hassle of dealing with customer service to get the lower rates again. Am I making a mistake by doing this? On the one hand I could be getting a better deal, but what if I can't downgrade after the year?  They have given people a hard time, myself included.  Plus, I don't often watch videos, though I like sporting events. So far the speed seems fine.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #1039 on: August 22, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »
Yes I tried but they wouldn't give it to me.