Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 399273 times)

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #1240 on: February 05, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
Spoke to retention department, problem fixed. Always worth a try.

What was the issue ?

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 06, 2019, 06:06:31 PM »
Anyone else notice that optimum started charging late fees earlier than in the past, and added a new "Network Enhancement Fee" of $2.50
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 06, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
Anyone else notice that optimum started charging late fees earlier than in the past, and added a new "Network Enhancement Fee" of $2.50

Yes just this month!! The "Network Enhancement Fee" was added  >:( >:( >:( I am fuming because when I switched from fios back in October the sales guy promised me unequivocally and many times over that there are absolutely no other fees.

(Technically, he was right..until now)
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 06, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »
Yes just this month!! The "Network Enhancement Fee" was added  >:( >:( >:( I am fuming because when I switched from fios back in October the sales guy promised me unequivocally and many times over that there are absolutely no other fees.

(Technically, he was right..until now)
Why would you switch from fios to cable  :-\
["-"]

Online stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 06, 2019, 10:10:32 PM »
Why would you switch from fios to cable  :-\

I had 50/50 with fios and they raised my price to over $60! With optimum I have 200/35 for $44.99 well...now $47.49  :(
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: February 07, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »
I'm very happy with Optimum in Brooklyn. Speed is fast (100) and it's pretty reliable. I wouldn't switch to FIOS even if it was available.
Verizon has horrible CS plus I don't want that huge box(es) in my living room. I know a few people in Monsey that switched to FIOS and then moved back to Optimum. They are lucky their competition is so bad.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
["-"]

Offline lowvoltageguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: February 10, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »
Is there a way for a optimum account holder to see the web sites or history etc from themselves or anyone using their login to access optimum WiFi?

In other words does optimum WiFi hotspot keep a web browsing record that can be accessed by the account holder or is provided by optimum upon request?
It's worth too much.

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: February 10, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/07/20/nyregion/thruway-s-tolls-to-end-in-96-with-federal-aid.html
Can you explain the relevance to this thread?
Is there a way for a optimum account holder to see the web sites or history etc from themselves or anyone using their login to access optimum WiFi?

In other words does optimum WiFi hotspot keep a web browsing record that can be accessed by the account holder or is provided by optimum upon request?
It's certainly not available to the account holder online and I doubt Optimum even tracks it as that would only be a liability for them.
But I gotta say I can't help but wonder why you're asking...

Offline lowvoltageguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: February 10, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »

Quote from: googwallet
But I gotta say I can't help but wonder why you're asking...
[/quote

That's a great question... Sometimes for business I use the company's login and they changed the password. I'm not sure why. Now I didn't do anything online other than software/firmware downloads from our dealer account. So... In case they start pointing fingers I wanna know if I can tell them go ask the ISP.
It's worth too much.

Online Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: February 15, 2019, 12:31:53 PM »
For those in Brooklyn who aren't on promo plans, how much are you paying per month? Last summer when I called to complain about rising rates, they offered me a double play promo that if they added TV to my Internet, it would actually be cheaper than just Internet.

But now they raised the price of the TV, and when I called to remove it, they said that the cheapest Internet only plan is around $70+tax, and that's with me owning my own modem!

I currently have Optimum 100 as part of the Double Play promo, but he said lowering my speed wouldn't save me any money. Before I HUCA, I want to know what to ask for. Please let me know what plan/speed you have and what you're paying for it, thanks.

Offline brodes18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, UA 1K, AA Platinum
« Reply #1251 on: February 15, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
For those in Brooklyn who aren't on promo plans, how much are you paying per month? Last summer when I called to complain about rising rates, they offered me a double play promo that if they added TV to my Internet, it would actually be cheaper than just Internet.

But now they raised the price of the TV, and when I called to remove it, they said that the cheapest Internet only plan is around $70+tax, and that's with me owning my own modem!

I currently have Optimum 100 as part of the Double Play promo, but he said lowering my speed wouldn't save me any money. Before I HUCA, I want to know what to ask for. Please let me know what plan/speed you have and what you're paying for it, thanks.

Ran into a similar issue last year. I've since moved and have a new promo plan on a new account.

The main number is usually not able to do anything useful. To get your price down, call retention dept directly.

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 17, 2019, 07:38:30 PM »

They have a plan for $24.99 for 10mbps. They may not offer it initially but if you keep on asking for it they will let you have it. I believe there is also a plan for 25mbps for about $39.99. They try to sell you the higher ones, but if you are insistent about getting the lower speed, they will eventually cave in.

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 19, 2019, 03:13:51 AM »
They have a plan for $24.99 for 10mbps. They may not offer it initially but if you keep on asking for it they will let you have it. I believe there is also a plan for 25mbps for about $39.99. They try to sell you the higher ones, but if you are insistent about getting the lower speed, they will eventually cave in.
Yup, I had the $24.95 plan for a couple of years until I cancelled last month (just in time to avoid that extra little fee). Upload speed is much slower, about 1Mbps.

Online Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: February 20, 2019, 10:12:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. I actually asked retention about those plans, and they told me that they had been discontinued and only people who were grandfathered in could still keep them, but nobody can sign up for them anymore. However, checking here (https://www.optimum.net/pricing-packages), it looks like they lied to me, as their web page still shows Optimum 10 for $24.95 and Optimum 20 for $29.99. I currently have 100. In practice, how much will I notice the different between 100 and 20 (especially for things like streaming)?

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 21, 2019, 12:17:46 AM »
Just did my annual ritual of threatening to leave unless they extend the promo pricing.

Extended the $39.99 for another year & raised speed from 100 to 200

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: February 21, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
I cannot seem to find a reasonably priced modem with a phone jack that works for optimum. Want to stop paying the $10 monthly fee. Any ideas?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: February 21, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »
I cannot seem to find a reasonably priced modem with a phone jack that works for optimum. Want to stop paying the $10 monthly fee. Any ideas?
What speed do you have?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 21, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
If you have around 50mbps than you can get cisco dpq3212 for $34 on eBay item # 253713296571

Or Arris tm822a / tm822g (I have one if you want to buy for $20)

If you have higher then you can get the Arris tm1602
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 21, 2019, 03:01:58 PM »
If you have around 50mbps than you can get cisco dpq3212 for $34 on eBay item # 253713296571

Or Arris tm822a / tm822g (I have one if you want to buy for $20)

If you have higher then you can get the Arris tm1602

I have 100mbps. Thank you!