Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 407467 times)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #1400 on: May 07, 2020, 05:23:28 PM »
Since when you get a new IP when you restart your router?
  Never knew it was so easy to get a new IP address just by restarting your router?
  If that was in fact true there would be no need for a VPN when ordering or using fake accounts in the US.
as MYI said: modem, not router.
ועוד
restarting modem may or may not reissue IP. business account (or if you pay extra) you get a static IP (necessary for hosting etc.) otherwise the optimum will refresh your IP at their discretion.
additionally, some violations (e.g. copyright content) will be directed to you via ISP, which has your IP address recorded (unless you VPN)

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 07, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »
as MYI said: modem, not router.
ועוד
restarting modem may or may not reissue IP. business account (orand if you pay extra) you get a static IP (necessary for hosting etc.) otherwise the optimum will refresh your IP at their discretion.
additionally, some violations (e.g. copyright content) will be directed to you via ISP, which has your IP address recorded (unless you VPN)
FTFY

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 14, 2020, 05:55:09 PM »
Tier: Optimum100
I've been paying $49.99 for the last 3 years. On my latest bill they upped the price to $69.99.
I called in to try to get it reduced back to the original price and the rep said that the Discount team isn't available due to COVID and I should count myself lucky because I'm still receiving a discount of $23.50, and there's nothing they'll do until that expires and my price goes up to $93.49.
No Fios in my area. Any way to get my bill back to where it was?

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1403 on: May 14, 2020, 06:00:30 PM »
Tier: Optimum100
I've been paying $49.99 for the last 3 years. On my latest bill they upped the price to $69.99.
I called in to try to get it reduced back to the original price and the rep said that the Discount team isn't available due to COVID and I should count myself lucky because I'm still receiving a discount of $23.50, and there's nothing they'll do until that expires and my price goes up to $93.49.
No Fios in my area. Any way to get my bill back to where it was?
They are a bunch of ganavim.

There's no Verizon FiOS in Brooklyn?

When I have a few minutes I have to call and give him a piece of my mind.
 They started charging me 120 called and they went down to 90 but upped my speed to 400 which I do not need.
  I'll be happy paying fifty sixty bucks with 200 Mbps.

Your best option is to call and speak to the customer support team that closes your account and tell them you wish to close your account and see if they offer you any plans, many times they offer a discount and if they don't, just tell them you know what I'm going to rethink about it and obviously don't close your account.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 14, 2020, 06:15:58 PM »
I met a tech this morning, and he said that they need to upgrade some equipment on Route 9. It can be done overnight; they are just waiting for approval from "the brass".
Today it's much better. Maybe they did the upgrade. If you're in Lakewood, has your service improved?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 14, 2020, 06:20:52 PM »
They are a bunch of ganavim.

There's no Verizon FiOS in Brooklyn?

When I have a few minutes I have to call and give him a piece of my mind.
 They started charging me 120 called and they went down to 90 but upped my speed to 400 which I do not need.
  I'll be happy paying fifty sixty bucks with 200 Mbps.

Your best option is to call and speak to the customer support team that closes your account and tell them you wish to close your account and see if they offer you any plans, many times they offer a discount and if they don't, just tell them you know what I'm going to rethink about it and obviously don't close your account.

There are areas that have Fios. Just not my block.
I'll try to call the retention team. So sick of dealing with them...

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:53 PM »
There are areas that have Fios. Just not my block.
I'll try to call the retention team. So sick of dealing with them...
Ok, my turn to (maybe) help you now. :)
Every rep by Optimum is like a different company. You can try calling again and try your luck. Maybe mention COVID, it's working for other industries.
Next you can call to cancel, but you need to sound confident. They'll usually offer you a deal.
Hatzlocho!

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 14, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »
Ok, my turn to (maybe) help you now. :)
Every rep by Optimum is like a different company. You can try calling again and try your luck. Maybe mention COVID, it's working for other industries.
Next you can call to cancel, but you need to sound confident. They'll usually offer you a deal.
Hatzlocho!
Thanks! Like a different company... lol

I tried the COVID route but his idea of helping me was to transfer me to the billing and payment dept to get a payment extension which is not what I want...

My plan now is to try another agent or two (based on how long my patience holds out). After that I'm going to the retention team. I think at that point I'll be so fed up I'll be oozing confidence

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 14, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
Thanks! Like a different company... lol

I tried the COVID route but his idea of helping me was to transfer me to the billing and payment dept to get a payment extension which is not what I want...

My plan now is to try another agent or two (based on how long my patience holds out). After that I'm going to the retention team. I think at that point I'll be so fed up I'll be oozing confidence
Originally I wrote "like a different world" but I toned it down. Believe me, it's incredible how disorganized they seem.
Keep trying...hopefully it'll work out.
If none of the above works, you can get someone וואס קען די מלאכה to speak on you behalf. This has worked well for others.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:35:50 PM by ae123 »

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 15, 2020, 12:11:49 PM »
@ae123 @myi thanks for the recommendations!

Here's how it went:
Called regular customer service and put myself in line for a callback. Got one an hour later. Went through the same annoying shpiel as with the first rep. Was too upset to keep trying and asked her to transfer me to the retention team.

Got transferred within minutes. Here's a basic transcript:
Me: My bill got raised from $49.99 to $69.99 last month. Things are difficult as is- I simply can't afford the extra $20 right now.
Rep: Not to worry. I can help. We don't have a promo on the Optimum 100 right now, but I can offer you Optimum 200 at $53.99. If you enroll in autopay (which I already am) I'll drop it to $48.99.
Me: Crying tears of joy and thanking him and all his generations.
Rep: I'll make sure to put in a credit for last month too so you'll see that on your next bill as well.
Me:  :) ;) ;D ::) :'(

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1410 on: May 15, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »

Here's how it went:
Called regular customer service and put myself in line for a callback. Got one an hour later. Went through the same annoying shpiel as with the first rep. Was too upset to keep trying and asked her to transfer me to the retention team.

Me: My bill got raised from $49.99 to $69.99 last month. Things are difficult as is- I simply can't afford the extra $20 right now.
Rep: Not to worry. I can help. We don't have a promo on the Optimum 100 right now, but I can offer you Optimum 200 at $53.99. If you enroll in autopay (which I already am) I'll drop it to $48.99.
Rep: I'll make sure to put in a credit for last month too so you'll see that on your next bill as well.
Wow that's amazing! Good for you. And I'm so happy to hear there is someone with opening ears there. Gives me the strength to call again.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 15, 2020, 03:33:47 PM »

Here's how it went:

You're welcome.
Glad it worked out.
Although, I would have gotten a name and confirmation number as Optimum has a tendency to make conversations disappear.
Keep an eye on your bill.
Also, these promos/offers usually end after a year so you may want to jot it down in your calendar.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 15, 2020, 03:56:04 PM »
You're welcome.
Glad it worked out.
Although, I would have gotten a name and confirmation number as Optimum has a tendency to make conversations disappear.
Keep an eye on your bill.
Also, these promos/offers usually end after a year so you may want to jot it down in your calendar.

I had a moment there when I was wondering if I'll actually see it...
I called back to check and the rep confirmed that my account has been upgraded to Optimum200 and my price is 48.49/month.

Offline israshot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: May 18, 2020, 04:43:30 PM »
I called today the retention line and got a $10 statement credit.

Offline elya

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 18, 2020, 04:49:03 PM »
My bill was raised by $20 a month ago, I called and cancelled my service, then signed up for Altice Advantage which is free for 60 days (Due to Covid) and then $14.99 a month.

Offline israshot

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 18, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
My bill was raised by $20 a month ago, I called and cancelled my service, then signed up for Altice Advantage which is free for 60 days (Due to Covid) and then $14.99 a month.
Thank you! I was looking for a cheaper option. I'm gonna switch to that plan too.

Offline elya

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 18, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
Thank you! I was looking for a cheaper option. I'm gonna switch to that plan too.
Officially only available to customers who have never had service with them, or have been disconnected for at least 60 days. But they were able to do it for me after after being disconnected for just 2/3 days.

Offline israshot

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 18, 2020, 05:06:54 PM »
Officially only available to customers who have never had service with them, or have been disconnected for at least 60 days. But they were able to do it for me after after being disconnected for just 2/3 days.
I was able to request the service and appointment before canceling my Optimum service.

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 18, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
Any verification of eligibility for altice advantage?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 19, 2020, 12:56:57 AM »

Optimum has a $15 plan? Good to know, thanks.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)