Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 405314 times)

Offline bbbb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #380 on: January 13, 2014, 11:20:01 PM »
Fyi-we had optimum (voice, cable and internet) for a few months. I was highly unimpressed with the quality of their service. Phone service went down frequently for absolutely no reason and wait times for repairs if they actually had to send someone out were long. Problems were frequently not resolved even after the agent/techs said they were. I'm much happier with my verizon service.

Offline avrumy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
Fyi-we had optimum (voice, cable and internet) for a few months. I was highly unimpressed with the quality of their service. Phone service went down frequently for absolutely no reason and wait times for repairs if they actually had to send someone out were long. Problems were frequently not resolved even after the agent/techs said they were. I'm much happier with my verizon service.
Depends where you live etc. where I am its exactly the opposite. Everyone says stay away from Verizon and only go with optimum.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
As I mentioned, I got my new bill for 59.95, another increase from 54.95. I called up Optimum and the lady was obnoxious. I asked to speak to a superior, so she transferred me.

After looking at my account for about a minute, the guy reduced my monthly fee to 39.95 a month for the next 12 cycles! Since my cycle started on the first of the month, this month was prorated - bringing it to 48.98 for the month, but next month until January 31st 2105 I'm at 39.95!

So my advice is, after explaining your situation to the rep, and her saying...well, we have no promotions going on...ask to be transferred to her boss and try your luck. Obviously there is always huca too....
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline bbbb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
Just make sure the prorating actually happens-we had several bad experiences with their billing department.  We were told that our service was being prorated, but it took several billing cycles before the prorating actually showed up.  I lost count of how many times i called and spoke with different reps. Even after I cancelled my service, they continued to bill me for monthly service.  Keep an eye on your statements; don't pay them without going through them carefully.

Offline avrumy

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 16, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
I just got off the phone with optimum and they told me since i have had 3 yrs now at discounted rates they can not give it to me anymore- the only thing they can do is give me triple play for $85 a month. Any ideas? thanks

Offline ybeeds

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #385 on: January 16, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
I just got off the phone with optimum and they told me since i have had 3 yrs now at discounted rates they can not give it to me anymore- the only thing they can do is give me triple play for $85 a month. Any ideas? thanks
HUCA
My office buzzes to the JewishMusicStream!!!

Offline raphy781

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 16, 2014, 05:47:39 PM »
As I mentioned, I got my new bill for 59.95, another increase from 54.95. I called up Optimum and the lady was obnoxious. I asked to speak to a superior, so she transferred me.

After looking at my account for about a minute, the guy reduced my monthly fee to 39.95 a month for the next 12 cycles! Since my cycle started on the first of the month, this month was prorated - bringing it to 48.98 for the month, but next month until January 31st 2105 I'm at 39.95!

So my advice is, after explaining your situation to the rep, and her saying...well, we have no promotions going on...ask to be transferred to her boss and try your luck. Obviously there is always huca too....
IME the CS reps tell you they can't do anything for you. Make sure you speak with the retentions department.

Offline avrumy

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 16, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »
IME the CS reps tell you they can't do anything for you. Make sure you speak with the retentions department.
I did. I guess ill HUCA

Offline avrumy

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 22, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »
I spoke with opptimum today and they said if I would have tv then they can lower the rate to 74 but if I just want phone and internet there is nothing they can do and the lowest they can do is 98. Any advice?

Offline yoruel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:11 PM »
I spoke with opptimum today and they said if I would have tv then they can lower the rate to 74 but if I just want phone and internet there is nothing they can do and the lowest they can do is 98. Any advice?
Take the package with TV(and dont buy a TV)
Do they care if you are using the TV package?

Offline avrumy

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »
Take the package with TV(and dont buy a TV)
Do they care if you are using the TV package?
no! So they coming next week to give me the box. based on the comments here i still paying alot. its 76 + tax. Until now i never payed tax not sure why not. and not sure why now i will be- what changed?

Offline youG

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
no! So they coming next week to give me the box. based on the comments here i still paying alot. its 76 + tax. Until now i never payed tax not sure why not. and not sure why now i will be- what changed?

I got internet and TV a few months ago for the same reason and when they came to instal my TV I told the guy I don't plan on using it he said if I reject the cable box I save about 7.50 a month- which I did

Offline muttman

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 26, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »
I wanna switch my account to my wifes name so I can have triple play for $89.99 (I currently pay $104).

Anybody know if I can keep my phone number?
I take no responsibility for the results of your actions

Offline michael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:38 PM »
by rotating it, how long will I be without service?

Does anyone know the answer?

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 26, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »
I wanna switch my account to my wifes name so I can have triple play for $89.99 (I currently pay $104).

Anybody know if I can keep my phone number?
Prolly not, port it out and back in if the number is important to you.

I heard or a way to get the promo rate again, if you have multiple floors you can tell them that you're moving to the other floor/basement, then it's like a new account, and you get the promo price again. They'll send down a tech to do the move, but he'll be more than happy to leave it the way it is, and tell him that you'll have your own wiring guys to it neatly. These guys get paid on the job, and all the want is your signature. I'm not sure yet what happens to the phone number when you do this, I'm going to try it one of these days.

Offline muttman

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 26, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »
Prolly not, port it out and back in if the number is important to you.

I heard or a way to get the promo rate again, if you have multiple floors you can tell them that you're moving to the other floor/basement, then it's like a new account, and you get the promo price again. They'll send down a tech to do the move, but he'll be more than happy to leave it the way it is, and tell him that you'll have your own wiring guys to it neatly. These guys get paid on the job, and all the want is your signature. I'm not sure yet what happens to the phone number when you do this, I'm going to try it one of these days.

Thanks for the info.

I think I will try to port it out and then back in.

Any suggestions on where I can port it to?

Online thejerseyguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 26, 2014, 11:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I think I will try to port it out and then back in.

Any suggestions on where I can port it to?

When I switched to optimum I had to pay 40 dollars to port my number into optimum.

Offline muttman

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 26, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »
When I switched to optimum I had to pay 40 dollars to port my number into optimum.

That's fine.

I am trying to figure out how to port my number from optimum to someplace temporarily and then back to optimum under a new account name.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 27, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »
That's fine.

I am trying to figure out how to port my number from optimum to someplace temporarily and then back to optimum under a new account name.
Use Google Voice. $20 to port in.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #399 on: January 27, 2014, 12:30:13 AM »
Got today by mail a offer for business accts for $29 (or was it $25?) phone/internet/TV for 1 year