Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 405641 times)

Offline ybeeds

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #420 on: February 07, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
I'm curious why someone would signup for voice if you can get an Ooma or simillar VOIP and run it with an Internet only plan. why pay $60+ when Internet only is $49. The device would pay for itself in under a year.
I do. The cons of it are fairly simple... Power outage or internet outage makes you landline-less, and the quality & options are more limited when using most voip services... It also slows down your internet, and makes phone calls a bit choppy when downloading...
My office buzzes to the JewishMusicStream!!!

Offline Ez

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 07, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »
I did try the obi and the quality want the greatest, is the ooma landline quality?

I'm using Ooma for a while and am very happy with the call quality.

Offline Ez

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 07, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »
I do. The cons of it are fairly simple... Power outage or internet outage makes you landline-less, and the quality & options are more limited when using most voip services... It also slows down your internet, and makes phone calls a bit choppy when downloading...

Optimum phone relies on internet the same as any other VoIP service, so when their internet is down, their phone goes down with it.

Offline YG

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 09, 2014, 06:08:45 AM »
That is true, however on the other hand I had tried a speed test while I had the boost, and the speeds were about the same - So its all bull.
its not bull I had the same issue when i first got boost I called them up and they sent a tech to fix it now I get the 50 download

I cant compare as I initially signed up with boost, but accoring to speedtest.net I am getting 58.43/29.15 on a highly spec'd laptop on an ethernet cable, and 28.23/18.78 on my iphone 4s over wifi.

Offline mb1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 28, 2014, 11:28:13 AM »
I'm curious why someone would signup for voice if you can get an Ooma or simillar VOIP and run it with an Internet only plan. why pay $60+ when Internet only is $49. The device would pay for itself in under a year.
Optimum phone relies on internet the same as any other VoIP service, so when their internet is down, their phone goes down with it.
I think that optimum has dedicated bandwidth for their voice service.

Offline Ez

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
I think that optimum has dedicated bandwidth for their voice service.

I think they don't, but even if they do, it's just a setting in the router which Ooma does as well.

Offline mb1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 28, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »
I think they don't, but even if they do, it's just a setting in the router which Ooma does as well.

Maybe your right that they don't, but if they do, it's not a setting that Ooma can also do.

Offline jackb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 01, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
I have optimum voice for my home line and ooma for my business line. Optimum is better than ooma as far as voice quality. With ooma I sometimes have a slight delay...... optimum IME is landline quality

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 04, 2014, 12:41:02 AM »
I called Optimum with a speed issue and they offered to send me a router for free. Sounds too good to be true right?

So I get the router and set it up and what do you know? Now there's an optimum hotspot radiating from my house!! I did a little googling ( here and here)and it seems this is their way of getting hotspots set up all around! They claim that there's no security issues or speed issues.
ASSUMING that is true, my only concern would be that I don't want people camping outside my house in their cars using the connection.

Anyone else encounter this?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:48:17 AM by MarkS »

Offline ybeeds

• View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #429 on: March 04, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »
I called Optimum with a speed issue and they offered to send me a router for free. Sounds too good to be true right?

So I get the router and set it up and what do you know? Now there's an optimum hotspot radiating from my house!! I did a little googling ( here and here)and it seems this is their way of getting hotspots set up all around! They claim that there's no security issues or speed issues.
ASSUMING that is true, my only concern would be that I don't want people camping outside my house in their cars using the connection.

Was wondering where they station all their "tens of thousands of hotspots around the country" and how they power them... now I get it... you may want to check how many watts it uses compared to your old one...

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 04, 2014, 01:17:28 AM »
Was wondering where they station all their "tens of thousands of hotspots around the country" and how they power them... now I get it... you may want to check how many watts it uses compared to your old one...
The silly thing is that it doesnt even have such far range so basically its just a marketing ploy for optimum more than actually being usefull to their customers. Although I guess in a more urban area one router could help a bunch of people.

Offline ayman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #431 on: March 04, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »
I find their public hotspots very helpful in NYC.

So TY for helping to improve that!!  ;D
Buy discounted gift cards from me.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 04, 2014, 01:24:53 AM »

Well where I live unless you drive down my block and park your car in front of my house it won't do much for you. For that reason, I don't think it will cost me any extra in electricity.

This site http://daviddaniels.com/2011/04/ever-wonder-what-a-wifi-hotspot-router-looks-like-this-may-be-in-your-neighborhood-too/ claims that they also have routers hanging from phone lines.

Offline ybeeds

• View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #433 on: March 04, 2014, 01:26:58 AM »

they are def very helpful sometimes... however, if private people are footing the electric bills unknowingly, I think it's wrong of them...

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #434 on: March 04, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »
Not disagreeing with that per se, although they aren't complaining about the free router...
Was just saying that it has been a very useful feature for me. Do competing companies offer this as well?
Buy discounted gift cards from me.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline popcorn1508

• View Profile
  • Programs: national executive elite, hertz presidents circle
« Reply #435 on: March 04, 2014, 03:48:59 AM »
I got a reg router from optimum

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 04, 2014, 09:27:46 AM »
I got a reg router from optimum
What brand? Sagemom? Are you sure there is no Optimum SSID now in the area?

Offline DoGo

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 04, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

where do you live, I can let you know?!
What brand is yours?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 04, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 05, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »
just finished my second year with optimum & after multiple HUCA's they Are unwilling to extend the the promo price for another year,what I'm thinking of doing is shutting down my account & signing up as a new user with a different SSN.

My question is, is there any way to port out my number & then port it back on the new account, & would they realise