Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 399263 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Optimum internet
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »
I've had optimum internet for several years now. After 12 months or so, my monthly fee went up from $29.95 to $49.95, so I closed my account and switched to a new account on a different name. I'm thinking of doing this again now that another year is up, anyone know if it'll work again?

Also, do any of you know if Optimum is currently running any promotions? (Preferably for internet only, but Internet + phone might be an option as well).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:49:23 PM »
When you canceled did you say why?
Don't know if it still works, but I've had friends that got the promo rate extended for many, many years
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:51:28 PM »
When you canceled did you say why?
Don't know if it still works, but I've had friends that got the promo rate extended for many, many years

Yes, I only tried once, said I couldn't afford more than $29.95, the 'disconnection department' guy kept saying he can only discount the more expensive packages (e.g. internet + phone or internet + TV). Do you think I should keep trying?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 11:56:03 PM »
Yes, I only tried once, said I couldn't afford more than $29.95, the 'disconnection department' guy kept saying he can only discount the more expensive packages (e.g. internet + phone or internet + TV). Do you think I should keep trying?
can't hurt to try 3-4 more times
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline jong

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »
i had the promo go on for as long as i liked, up until today, when i switched to fios. i did have the triple play package, but with optimum, ime, ive had the reps do whatever i wanted just by asking enough times

Offline champ1ons26

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AMEX PLATINUM, CHASE SAPHIRRE, BRITISH AIRWAYS, CITI AA
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:24:09 AM »
ive had no luck with getting the discount rate i have tried numerouse times

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:25:05 AM »
ive had no luck with getting the discount rate i have tried numerouse times

What plan do you have? What price are you paying?

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:42:27 AM »
I had the double play and after a year all i got was a $15 credit which only lasted one month and for me cancelling was tough because I had to port my number but if all you have is internet call and cancel they know you have  nothing to lose and from what i hear internet only customers usually get the discount because optimum doesn't have any leverage on them.   

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 12:46:55 AM »
I had the double play and after a year all i got was a $15 credit which only lasted one month and for me cancelling was tough because I had to port my number but if all you have is internet call and cancel they know you have  nothing to lose and from what i hear internet only customers usually get the discount because optimum doesn't have any leverage on them.   

The problem is there's no good competition in my area. I think the only viable alternative for me is DSL. Fios isn't yet available on my block.

Offline champ1ons26

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AMEX PLATINUM, CHASE SAPHIRRE, BRITISH AIRWAYS, CITI AA
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »
I have only the internet plan. canceled phone a while ago im paying the same as AsherO

Offline muttman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »
The problem is there's no good competition in my area. I think the only viable alternative for me is DSL. Fios isn't yet available on my block.

The reps usually know this and they offer the discounts to costumers where FIOS is available. But then again, I think if you keep on calling you should convince a rep to give you the special price for a year
I take no responsibility for the results of your actions

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »
I have double play and was paing $60 for the first year. At the end of the year they wanted to raise it to $85!!

I contemplated opening a new optimum account under my wifes name and getting a new signup bonus (Ipod) and another year at $60.

Optimum said they wouldn't port a numer from one person to a new account at the same address. I then considered opening a verizon account for one month, then porting that back to a new optimum account in my wifes name. All the porting and new account would have negated the signup bonus and involved alot of logistics.

Although I had been told by many people that Optimum doesn't budge on the price, I convinced a rep to give me a rate of $65 for phone + internet!!!!

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
when porting to prepaid cellphone porting is free.

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
@elikay
That's exactly what I did I ported to ppc.now I'm gonna port back in to ov

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »
I bet this was brought up numerous times, so excuse me for asking:
In this thread, and in many others, I see this idea of trying your luck with other Rep. Don't the CSR write down every conversation you have with them?
I understand this may help getting a discount, as chances are they won't read up, but if they do I would be quite embarrassed.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:03:40 AM »
I bet this was brought up numerous times, so excuse me for asking:
In this thread, and in many others, I see this idea of trying your luck with other Rep. Don't the CSR write down every conversation you have with them?
I understand this may help getting a discount, as chances are they won't read up, but if they do I would be quite embarrassed.

It's always worth it to keep trying. This morning I had a charge I was trying to get removed from my sprint bill.

I spoke to several reps who all referenced a previous time that this charge was credited and refused to do it again. This morning I called and the rep didn't check the notes (or that I called 5 times last week and was told no...) and immediately credited my account.

Offline muttman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »
I have the triple play + a DVR
I pay 75.99 plus tax  the total comes out to like $78
I take no responsibility for the results of your actions

Offline Zeeeeks

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »

I don't have DSL in my area either... I called a couple times and finally got a rep that gave me the $29.95 for the year.

Offline Shua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
I have the triple play + a DVR
I pay 75.99 plus tax  the total comes out to like $78

How are you getting it for so cheap? When I had triple play it cost $108 for triple play + DVR. Since my year is up and they wouldnt let me change it to my wife's name at the same address, so I said I would switch to direct TV and they gave me triple play for another year!

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
I've had optimum internet for several years now. After 12 months or so, my monthly fee went up from $29.95 to $49.95, so I closed my account and switched to a new account on a different name. I'm thinking of doing this again now that another year is up, anyone know if it'll work again?

Also, do any of you know if Optimum is currently running any promotions? (Preferably for internet only, but Internet + phone might be an option as well).

Done it a few times already (different name). The last time I called they offered to through in a $200 AMEX gift card if I take phone service too for a total of $60 a month, which I gladly accepted although I had to pay $40 to port my number and $20 for a tech to come down. Did this about 8 months ago.