Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 399129 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 11:03:42 PM »
Done it a few times already (different name). The last time I called they offered to through in a $200 AMEX gift card if I take phone service too for a total of $60 a month, which I gladly accepted although I had to pay $40 to port my number and $20 for a tech to come down. Did this about 8 months ago.

I tried again, agent + supervisor, no luck.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 11:42:57 PM »
I tried again, agent + supervisor, no luck.

Did you already cancel yet? You'd first have to cancel (and maybe wait a few weeks like i did?), then call with another family members name and ask them what's the best promo they have for internet. I don't know if their still giving out the $200 GC's, but they most likely have anther promo out. Just make sure to say you only want internet and theill then try to bribe you to take phone service too (actually TV too).

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 11:45:01 PM »
Did you already cancel yet? You'd first have to cancel (and maybe wait a few weeks like i did?), then call with another family members name and ask them what's the best promo they have for internet. I don't know if their still giving out the $200 GC's, but they most likely have anther promo out. Just make sure to say you only want internet and theill then try to bribe you to take phone service too (actually TV too).

Thanks for the suggestion.

1. Two weeks without internet? :o ???
2. I don't need the phone service.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline sim

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 11:45:51 PM »
i had internet and phone for 59 after the year switched to my wife got the $59 plan and 200 gc. when i was discussing this with the rep he told me if u switch to adifferent provider (even for a day) and then switch back to optimum your eligible for the promo

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 12:07:28 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.

1. Two weeks without internet? :o ???
2. I don't need the phone service.

1) I borrowed someones portable Clear (I think it's like $40 a month) for the duration. I definitely couldn't breathe without it for that long ;).
2) Then see if they'll give you just internet at the 29.99 price. BTW, they give me the option of getting the reduced price for internet alone too, the promo was just for adding the landline, BUT, the promo will run for two years instead of one (previously).

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 12:08:34 AM »
i had internet and phone for 59 after the year switched to my wife got the $59 plan and 200 gc. when i was discussing this with the rep he told me if u switch to adifferent provider (even for a day) and then switch back to optimum your eligible for the promo

Cool, how long ago?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 12:37:36 AM »
ive had luck saying i was thinking of switching to fios and they offered to extend the promo... and no fios was not available at the address at the time... when i moved i said i was coming from fios and they matched my "existing" fios plan :)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 12:44:58 AM »
ive had luck saying i was thinking of switching to fios and they offered to extend the promo... and no fios was not available at the address at the time... when i moved i said i was coming from fios and they matched my "existing" fios plan :)

Hmmm, but I bet you've got double/triple play, no?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »
Hmmm, but I bet you've got double/triple play, no?

at the original address where they extended promo its just internet. my new address i have the triple play + dvr and boost for under $100 after taxes... mind you i have never plugged a phone into the modem (its just cheaper to have it then cancel it and lose triple play benefits), tho i have my gv number forwarded to it so it displays the caller id on tv :)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:04 AM »
at the original address where they extended promo its just internet. my new address i have the triple play + dvr and boost for under $100 after taxes... mind you i have never plugged a phone into the modem (its just cheaper to have it then cancel it and lose triple play benefits), tho i have my gv number forwarded to it so it displays the caller id on tv :)

Nerd :P

I've mentioned Fios each time I called, no luck so far.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 12:55:47 AM »

Switch to contract-free DSL and then signup again as a new cable customer switching over from DSL.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 12:59:02 AM »

meh i have been using gv as my home phone for the past year or so and its just great :)

can you try saying the fios is offering you internet for $34.95 at the higher speed? This was you pay a little more so they might be inclined to keep you on as well as you get the boost... (which is the only way to get decent speed on ool anyway..)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:17 AM »
meh i have been using gv as my home phone for the past year or so and its just great :)

can you try saying the fios is offering you internet for $34.95 at the higher speed? This was you pay a little more so they might be inclined to keep you on as well as you get the boost... (which is the only way to get decent speed on ool anyway..)

I'll try that. I'm happy with the basic Optimum, I have boost @ work and it isn't too much faster.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 01:08:38 AM »
I'll try that. I'm happy with the basic Optimum, I have boost @ work and it isn't too much faster.

could be your area. here we only get like 5/1 on regular and 27/5 on boost...

but give it a try.. gl

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »
could be your area. here we only get like 5/1 on regular and 27/5 on boost...

but give it a try.. gl

Could it be they're giving me a hard time because I use too much bandwidth? I often do 5 gigs or more a week.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 01:15:33 AM »
Could it be they're giving me a hard time because I use too much bandwidth? I often do 5 gigs or more a week.

i doubt it.. how much is up? ive been home since monday night and have done 18.44 GB of which 17.92GB is down...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 01:24:12 AM »
i doubt it.. how much is up? ive been home since monday night and have done 18.44 GB of which 17.92GB is down...

I don't think I can beat that. Most (80% is my guess) is down.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 01:26:14 AM »
I don't think I can beat that. Most (80% is my guess) is down.

then you should be fine.. i havent heard of ool capping or anything of the sort for download amounts, only for upload (happened to me once, upgrading to boost removes that cap thingy..)

Offline sim

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »
Cool, how long ago?
beginning of april

Offline Zeeeeks

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »

What I did was have them schedule the cancellation, then called back that I wont be able to be there at that time and I need to reschedule unless they could do something for me.