Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 399313 times)

Offline bingit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #640 on: December 08, 2014, 01:33:20 AM »
Just curious , all these prices being quoted ( $40 a month for just internet) are they the total price for the month or do you still have to pay taxes and fees etc......?

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 08, 2014, 01:38:27 AM »
Just curious , all these prices being quoted ( $40 a month for just internet) are they the total price for the month or do you still have to pay taxes and fees etc......?
Final price.

Offline bingit

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 08, 2014, 01:44:23 AM »
Final price.
cuz it says something on their website about $5 monthly for modem rental..... is that an extra $5 or included in the price??

Offline ybeeds

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #643 on: December 08, 2014, 01:48:48 AM »
cuz it says something on their website about $5 monthly for modem rental..... is that an extra $5 or included in the price??
This seems to be a new thing... see comments above...
My office buzzes to the JewishMusicStream!!!

Offline bingit

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 08, 2014, 01:54:19 AM »
Just double checked on their website and they charge u $5 monthly for "modem fee" is there any way to get out of that? 

Offline ydbe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: daf yomi
« Reply #645 on: December 09, 2014, 12:16:54 AM »
see if you can buy your own compatible model. there was recently a deal for a motorola sb6121 for 39.99 (a refurb)

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »
see if you can buy your own compatible model. there was recently a deal for a motorola sb6121 for 39.99 (a refurb)
+1
That's exactly what I did. Waiting for the modem to be delivered. For everyone's info, and I posted this already but just to reiterate: Optimum just started charging a rental fee of $4.95/month for the modem for all new customers on Nov. 17. They give you the option of buying a modem for like $150 which is outrageous. Also, they only have 2 "approved" models listed on their website (meaning if you want to buy your own, you officially only have 2 models to choose from). When I asked the rep on the phone if I can bring my own modem, she said that if it's not an "approved" model, the technician wouldn't connect it when he came to install. I asked if he would at least bring the line in and she said yes. So I said I would connect the wire to the modem myself (I hope I can mange this :) just kidding. If you can mange to plug in your computer, you should be able to manage connecting a coax cable to your modem). What exactly are they trying to pull by being this restrictive? Anyway, from what i understand, all I will need to do once I have the modem connected will be to have Optimum change the MAC address that they have listed in my account.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #647 on: December 09, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
...What exactly are they trying to pull by being this restrictive?
To get you to buy their modem perhaps?

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 09, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »
To get you to buy their modem perhaps?
I know, but it's not like it's a modem that they produce. They aren't making any money off of it that they couldn't make off any other modem by signing deals with other companies. And the tactic seems so blatant that I think enough people will catch on so that it won't take long for people to just start buying other modems elsewhere. Trying to force customers into a corner rarely works in the long run.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #649 on: December 09, 2014, 11:10:37 AM »
I know, but it's not like it's a modem that they produce. They aren't making any money off of it that they couldn't make off any other modem by signing deals with other companies. And the tactic seems so blatant that I think enough people will catch on so that it won't take long for people to just start buying other modems elsewhere. Trying to force customers into a corner rarely works in the long run.
Maybe they only managed a deal with those 2 companies...

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 09, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »
It seems like they have added 3 more modems to their list :
http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1791/~/optimum-online-ultra-50,-optimum-online-ultra-75-and-optimum-online-ultra-101
BTW, those companies make a bunch of other modems that should be compatible so why wouldn't they just offer those as well?

Offline bingit

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 09, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
So what is the cheapest modem I can buy that will work for optimum service?  (Reg speed...dont  need fast). And can I buy it on Amazon?

Offline deal12349

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 09, 2014, 11:24:52 PM »
Hi, does anyone know if the Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem will work with Optimum Internet?

Offline bingit

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 10, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »
Hi spoke to optimum today and was told that there are only 2 modems that are compatible with their service(2 different Arris models).....anybody have experience using different modems with optimum?

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 10, 2014, 06:42:20 PM »
As a optimum customer, I get free access to optimum wifi. In my area I find that TWC gives me better speed. Until today I was able to connect to TWC without providing additional login info. For some reason today it started asking me for login info. Anyone know whats changed?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 10, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »
As a optimum customer, I get free access to optimum wifi. In my area I find that TWC gives me better speed. Until today I was able to connect to TWC without providing additional login info. For some reason today it started asking me for login info. Anyone know whats changed?
Is there a CableWifi network? If yes, try that.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 10, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »
Is there a CableWifi network? If yes, try that.
It works but TWC is faster.
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »
Still can't login to TWC. If anyone is has an account and is comfortable letting me use it that would be very appreciated.

Offline Josef.koney

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 14, 2014, 08:03:51 PM »
Anyone want to split a account?

Offline Banillareloads

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 18, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
I started with a $50 promo just for internet 25/15. After year was up went up to $60. Ridiculousness. Tried HUCA few times couldn't get anywhere even after threatening to disconnect. Wanted to disconnect and open new accnt in wifes name. Called now again and decided to try retention one more time, asked for retention  team, did not have to beg etc. within 2 mins he gave me back old rate and threw in 50/25 speeds for free. It's a chanukkah miracle. Oh and did I mention I ordered an Obi this morning... Life is good