Author Topic: The New DDMS!  (Read 153305 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: The New DDMS!
« Reply #740 on: June 07, 2022, 02:36:46 AM »
Infinite scroll can be annoying if the back button doesn't bring you back to the original spot.
This feature is buggy on the site.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 07, 2022, 02:51:51 AM »
Infinite scroll can be annoying if the back button doesn't bring you back to the original spot.
This feature is buggy on the site.
Turns out you can outgrow DDF but never DDMS!!

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #742 on: June 07, 2022, 03:01:56 AM »
Nah, DDF has always been more addictive and stimulating.

We have DDMS to keep the mornos and the gypsies entertained & busy so they don't flock to DDF.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #743 on: June 07, 2022, 06:35:27 AM »
We have DDMS to keep the mornos entertained & busy so they don't flock to DDF.
Well that explains why we haven't seen you around here.

(Triggered, and spends the next 6 months on DDF arguing this point ;) )

Nice to see you around these parts and thanks for the feedback!
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 07, 2022, 08:35:47 AM »
Here are my thoughts.

I love the actual redesign. Makes the site much more contemporary and modern, and much more eye pleasing. But it exacerbates something that has been irking me recently about DDMS, which maybe can be fixed with minor tweaks.

The nature of DDMS is that people check it multiple times a day to make sure they don't miss a good deal. Up until about 6-12 months ago, just by clicking on the site you were able to see the last deal or two, and you knew right away if any deals were added since the last visit. For the last months, however, often more than one deal was stickyed at the same time, which made the default view after opening the site meaningless - the same two sponsored posts could be there for days at a time. In order to see if anything new was posted, you had to scroll down, which is annoying if you are checking a site multiple times a day.

I didn't speak up then, because I understood that ad revenue drove the site, and I am happy to do that extra step in reverence to the ads.

This new update makes it even worse. The featured deals block takes up the whole screen when you open the site. You now have to scroll further, past stickyed posts, to see if a new deal was posted. And while I know that the featured deals and the stickyed posts are the lucrative ones, at this point I think they are serving as a significant detriment to the classiness that makes DDMS so enjoyable. Yes, Lakewood Scoop surely makes ad revenue, but I'm sure DDMS has no intention of following in their footsteps...  :P

I think that there may be a simple design fix that can be implemented, but I'm not sure what. Maybe some sort of duel heading bar. Even just putting a box near the top that says "Latest deal" - with a single deal in there, already lets viewers know if anything was added since their last visit.

Not trying to complain, just to share honest feedback about something that has been nagging me. I wonder if others felt the same...

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #745 on: June 07, 2022, 09:04:52 AM »
@YitzyS Great feedback! Thanks!

The featured deals you see now aren't what they will be. I see why it looks annoying now, but it's more likely to be a mix of the best deals alive right now to the most popular deals from previous days people may have missed. Like a digest of the best and most popular deals.

As for the other parts, we have something in the works :)

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 07, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »
Here are my thoughts.

I love the actual redesign. Makes the site much more contemporary and modern, and much more eye pleasing. But it exacerbates something that has been irking me recently about DDMS, which maybe can be fixed with minor tweaks.

The nature of DDMS is that people check it multiple times a day to make sure they don't miss a good deal. Up until about 6-12 months ago, just by clicking on the site you were able to see the last deal or two, and you knew right away if any deals were added since the last visit. For the last months, however, often more than one deal was stickyed at the same time, which made the default view after opening the site meaningless - the same two sponsored posts could be there for days at a time. In order to see if anything new was posted, you had to scroll down, which is annoying if you are checking a site multiple times a day.

I didn't speak up then, because I understood that ad revenue drove the site, and I am happy to do that extra step in reverence to the ads.

This new update makes it even worse. The featured deals block takes up the whole screen when you open the site. You now have to scroll further, past stickyed posts, to see if a new deal was posted. And while I know that the featured deals and the stickyed posts are the lucrative ones, at this point I think they are serving as a significant detriment to the classiness that makes DDMS so enjoyable. Yes, Lakewood Scoop surely makes ad revenue, but I'm sure DDMS has no intention of following in their footsteps... 

I think that there may be a simple design fix that can be implemented, but I'm not sure what. Maybe some sort of duel heading bar. Even just putting a box near the top that says "Latest deal" - with a single deal in there, already lets viewers know if anything was added since their last visit.

Not trying to complain, just to share honest feedback about something that has been nagging me. I wonder if others felt the same...
I respectfully agree

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 07, 2022, 09:30:53 AM »
Here are my thoughts.

This new update makes it even worse. The featured deals block takes up the whole screen when you open the site. You now have to scroll further, past stickyed posts, to see if a new deal was posted. And while I know that the featured deals and the stickyed posts are the lucrative ones, at this point I think they are serving as a significant detriment to the classiness that makes DDMS so enjoyable. Yes, Lakewood Scoop surely makes ad revenue, but I'm sure DDMS has no intention of following in their footsteps...  :P

These complaints can easily be fixed by moving the sticky ads to a pop up, and use a ticker for the popular deals. No one will miss a popular deal again! They also can simply remove the sticky and sponsored tag so no one will know the difference. 
Visibly Jewish

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 07, 2022, 09:43:57 AM »
These complaints can easily be fixed by moving the sticky ads to a pop up, and use a ticker for the popular deals. No one will miss a popular deal again! They also can simply remove the sticky and sponsored tag so no one will know the difference.
Lol

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #749 on: June 07, 2022, 09:50:56 AM »

And then replace Dan and JJ's posts with JCN articles

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #750 on: June 07, 2022, 10:14:26 AM »
@YitzyS Great feedback! Thanks!

The featured deals you see now aren't what they will be. I see why it looks annoying now, but it's more likely to be a mix of the best deals alive right now to the most popular deals from previous days people may have missed. Like a digest of the best and most popular deals.

As for the other parts, we have something in the works :)

So instead of having stickied ads and the rest of the posts in descending order, you’re going to have an algorithm decide what I want to see? Can we have a legacy version for nostalgia-prone users?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 07, 2022, 10:16:48 AM »
So instead of having stickied ads and the rest of the posts in descending order, you’re going to have an algorithm decide what I want to see? Can we have a legacy version for nostalgia-prone users?
ElonsDeals

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #752 on: June 07, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »
Can we have a legacy version for nostalgia-prone users?
Did anyone actually use legacy mode?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 07, 2022, 10:37:13 AM »
ElonsDeals

It already was that with Dan being a Tesla shill

/s
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline pinigee

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 07, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »
I like the new redesign gives it a fresher look.

My two cents, to be able to better filter searches, Currently it looks like it searches the entire site and sorts it by date (which i believe is an upgrade from before, not sure though). I would add a date range filter on the search and a category filter. I encountered sometimes to be looking for a specific post however the results only showed me new ones and had to go to a few pages down to find what i need, as well as the category, sometimes when you search "Hyatt" you can may be looking for a hotel deal and sometimes about a Credit card sign up offer.

Offline E R K

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 07, 2022, 01:29:30 PM »
Did anyone actually use legacy mode?

yup

And where is the scroll down arrow?

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #756 on: June 08, 2022, 12:29:37 PM »
Anyway to have name in comments sync with DDF usernames?

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 08, 2022, 12:36:56 PM »
I'm conflicted about the redesign.

Regarding the search, is there anyway to search by date? It seems to sort the results by some random metric.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 08, 2022, 01:08:15 PM »
It seems to sort the results by some random metric.
Relevance?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 08, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »
Anyway to have name in comments sync with DDF usernames?
I don't think a SMF WP bridge will ever happen unfortunately.