Author Topic: Best Family Sedan?  (Read 77840 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Best Family Sedan?
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2011, 11:42:14 PM »
I can't record it, it already happened.
I don't follow this Dave Ramsey guy, but from what I've heard him quoted as saying he sounds quite foolish. (Use a debit card instead of a credit card ::) ) I'd take him on in a debate any day.
They don't care if you pay cash.  The opposite is true-they make more money and can lower the price if you finance instead of paying cash.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
I can't record it, it already happened.
I don't follow this Dave Ramsey guy, but from what I've heard him quoted as saying he sounds quite foolish. (Use a debit card instead of a credit card ::) ) I'd take him on in a debate any day.
They don't care if you pay cash.  The opposite is true-they make more money and can lower the price if you finance instead of paying cash.
Would you consider doing this as an agent for others and charging a fee? :)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2011, 12:28:40 AM »
+1
On the last car i bought after bargaining the car down 5k below KBB (used car), adding cash to the picture didnt do a thing.

Offline Nitantnel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »
I've had success negotiating prices of 20-40% off the asking prices for new cars by negotiating with hundreds of dealers nationwide.  If you are a good negotiator I don't think you'll save much by buying a car that's a few years old (and probably out of warranty too).
Dan,
If you can negotiate successfully for new cars and bring down the price up to 20-40 %, you should be able to negotiate for used cars and bring down the price to the same amount? Do they make less money off used cars and therefor can't afford to reduce the price!?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »
Dan,
If you can negotiate successfully for new cars and bring down the price up to 20-40 %, you should be able to negotiate for used cars and bring down the price to the same amount? Do they make less money off used cars and therefor can't afford to reduce the price!?
Every dealership in the nation has the exact the same new car.  One has no real advantage over the other, so they must compete on price as it's all apples and apples.

For used cars they claim theirs are better, etc. and don't have to compete on price as it's not exactly the same.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
Every dealership in the nation has the exact the same new car.  One has no real advantage over the other, so they must compete on price as it's all apples and apples.

There are other things they can use to compete: Options, fees, service, payment arrangements etc.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »
There are other things they can use to compete: Options, fees, service, payment arrangements etc.
Options for the cars?  Those should be the same everywhere?
Fees are more or less the same though unscrupulous dealers may start creating fake fees.
Payment arrangements are handled through Nissan financing and the rebates are the same everywhere.

Service could be a differentiator for some folks.  There's an Acura/Infiniti dealer by CLE that lets buyers swing by there before their flight, get chauffeured to the airport 2 minutes away, and they park your car in their lot for free and drop off your car at the airport when you return.
Now that's service!

But besides for that I think most people buy based solely on price in this industry.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »
But besides for that I think most people buy based solely on price in this industry.

It's a known fact that cars are an emotional purchase :P

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
from what I've heard him quoted as saying he sounds quite foolish. (Use a debit card instead of a credit card ::) )
I don't think he'll say that a debit card is better value then Credit Card, I imagine it's about not going into debt.
For every person churning and/or making a killing off miles how many people do you think there are who are going into debt and paying a ton in interest and fees? (which might be why they allow all the churning...)

Edit: in other words I assume he's saying that most people don't have the discipline & self control to only spend what they can afford and live within their means when always paying by CC.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:09:11 PM by whYME »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
I don't think he'll say that a debit card is better value then Credit Card, I imagine it's about not going into debt.
For every person churning and/or making a killing off miles how many people do you think there are who are going into debt and paying a ton in interest and fees? (which might be why they allow all the churning...)
Nope, his beliefs are much more extreme than that.
This article was the first google hit:
http://www.daveramsey.com/article/the-truth-about-credit-card-debt/

Absolute rubbish IMHO.
"Myth: Aren't there positive uses of a credit card? Like rebates and airline miles?
Truth: Responsible use of a credit card does not exist."
"There is no positive side to credit card use."
"If you "have to" use plastic, I suggest a debit card. I use them for travel and the occasional convenience of ordering something over the Internet or phone. Other than that, I use cash."
"You cannot beat the credit card companies."

Gimme a break ::)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
Nope, his beliefs are much more extreme than that.
This article was the first google hit:
http://www.daveramsey.com/article/the-truth-about-credit-card-debt/

Absolute rubbish IMHO.
"Myth: Aren't there positive uses of a credit card? Like rebates and airline miles?
Truth: Responsible use of a credit card does not exist."
"There is no positive side to credit card use."
"If you "have to" use plastic, I suggest a debit card. I use them for travel and the occasional convenience of ordering something over the Internet or phone. Other than that, I use cash."
"You cannot beat the credit card companies."

Gimme a break ::)
OK, you're right. the guy is nuts.

but I still think my original statement is correct. most people are  not coming out ahead using CCs (If I'm not mistaken the average CC debt per US household is about 11k)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
OK, you're right. the guy is nuts.

but I still think my original statement is correct. most people are  not coming out ahead using CCs (If I'm not mistaken the average CC debt per US household is about 11k)
I can't argue with that.
But I think a good majority of DDF users manage to beat the card companies while spending responsibly.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
I can't argue with that.
But I think a good majority of DDF users manage to beat the card companies while spending responsibly.
+1

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »
I can't argue with that.
Agreed.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2011, 10:56:39 PM »
I can't argue with that.
While I agree with you, he has a decent point when he writes:

"When you pay cash, you can "feel" the money leaving you. This is not true with credit cards. Flipping a credit card up on a counter registers nothing emotionally. A study of credit card use at McDonald’s found that people spent 47% more when using credit instead of cash. This is money you could have saved!"

Every time I go to Walmart for example, and rack up a bill on things I 'need', I would think twice if I had to pay cash!
I always pay my CC bills on time, but I would definitely spend less if using cash. When I was in Israel and using cash, every time I went to a restaurant or store, I thought twice about what I was buying, how much it costs, and I saw how often I was going back to the ATM!

I love not having to think before buying things, but he is correct that most people would spend less without CC's.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2011, 11:12:16 PM »
"When you pay cash, you can "feel" the money leaving you. This is not true with credit cards. Flipping a credit card up on a counter registers nothing emotionally. A study of credit card use at McDonald’s found that people spent 47% more when using credit instead of cash. This is money you could have saved!"

Correlation doesn't (necessarily) equal causation. In the McDonald's example it could very well be that (at least some) McDonald's customers who use a credit card can afford more than those who don't even own a credit card.

So long as you spend responsibly, spending more isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lets say I (hypothetically) have a stingy acquaintance, credit cards are a good thing in this aspect He's able to get over his emotional hangup about parting with his money, and buy the things he has to.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »
Occasionally when I buy something that I totally don't need and only got because there was a deal posted on Dansdeals, I think that DD costs me $$.

But then I remember the thousands of dollars I've saved both buying things I DO need (at sale prices), the 10's of boxes of free diapers, and the hundreds of thousands of mileage and free flights I've taken!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »
Occasionally when I buy something that I totally don't need and only got because there was a deal posted on Dansdeals, I think that DD costs me $$.

But then I remember the thousands of dollars I've saved both buying things I DO need (at sale prices), the 10's of boxes of free diapers, and the hundreds of thousands of mileage and free flights I've taken!

It's like I like to say about Costco: People often times come out of Costco spending as much as they would've spent elsewhere, but at least they got more and/or better value than elsewhere.

Offline Nitantnel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
Lets say I (hypothetically) have a stingy acquaintance, credit cards are a good thing in this aspect He's able to get over his emotional hangup about parting with his money, and buy the things he has to.

Describes me perfectly!  ;D

Back on topic here, I still think you can get real good deal on used cars. With a new car, there is only so much the dealer can afford to discount - they need to make some money - with used cars however, they can convince the seller it is worthless..Etc. Etc., thereby getting a good deal for themselves; and you - if you have the talent - can also convince them that it is worthless. Especially buying repossessed cars, those are known to be sold at huge discounts!

For me this would not work, though. Car dealers usually know more about people than about cars, there is no chance I will be able to get my way...  :-\

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2011, 02:45:21 AM »
While I agree with you, he has a decent point when he writes:

Every time I go to Walmart for example, and rack up a bill on things I 'need', I would think twice if I had to pay cash!
I always pay my CC bills on time, but I would definitely spend less if using cash. When I was in Israel and using cash, every time I went to a restaurant or store, I thought twice about what I was buying, how much it costs, and I saw how often I was going back to the ATM!

I love not having to think before buying things, but he is correct that most people would spend less without CC's.
And then he goes onto say that people should use debit cards instead of credit cards.
Maybe there is a difference in how you spend between cash and plastic, but between plastic and plastic, really?

And then you lose all of the protections and benefits that credit cards give you.