Author Topic: Best Family Sedan?  (Read 77638 times)

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Best Family Sedan?
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2011, 12:12:10 AM »
didnt realize

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Buy vs. Lease
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »
Perhaps this deserves its own (or belongs in a different) thread but with all the discussion re cars figured I could post here.

Im not looking to buy or lease a car so haven't really looked into it but just from observations I wonder.

It seems buying a car is about 100x the cost of leasing a car per month. Meaning a car you car you can get for $30k is $300/month.

So to reach the total cost of buying, you would have a leased car for 100 months or 8 years, 4 months.

Now obviously an almost 9 year old car would be worth something but the tradeoff is that you've had one car in that period instead of 3, so besides the "new car" factor servicing/fixing etc probably cost much more.

Or in a different scenario, after 6 years you want to sell your used car. Let's say you get $10k for it, if you would have leased that car would have cost you $21,600 and you would've had 2, again probably saving on servicing/upkeep.

So why do people buy cars?
Is my math way off?
Are there other variables that I've totally ignored/don't know about?
Or, is it getting the 25% off a new car which you just can't do on a lease? ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2011, 10:10:03 PM »
I think your numbers may be off.
The sticker on my car was ~$28K (Altima with Leather/SL Moonroof Package) and I paid $21K.  A 36 month lease would've been about $350/month or $12,600.
So basically I bought a 3 year old Altima for about $8,400.  I don't think I'll have a hard time at all flipping it after 3 years for a profit if I'm so inclined.

Plus I don't have to worry about getting dinged for any scratches/alleged damages to the car, any disposition fees, and any fees for going over 12K miles per year.
And my insurance is cheaper (currently paying $290/6 months for 2 drivers with full coverage) than had I leased it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:13:35 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »
Plus I don't have to worry about getting dinged for any scratches/alleged damages to the car.

+1, that's why I financed. It's also an asset which depending on ones situation could be very useful...

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »
Fair enough.

Just heard that the Lincoln MKZ was being leased for $300/month.
With a sticker price of $36k, figured $30k is a fair price for comparison.

Although, the factors definitely add weight to buying.

BOTOH, the money put down could be racking up miles ;)

Guess it depends on each ones situation, was just wondering...

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2011, 10:53:31 PM »
Fair enough.

Just heard that the Lincoln MKZ was being leased for $300/month.
With a sticker price of $36k, figured $30k is a fair price for comparison.

Although, the factors definitely add weight to buying.

BOTOH, the money put down could be racking up miles ;)

Guess it depends on each ones situation, was just wondering...
Did I get it right

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:38 PM »
Just wanted to post my experience.

I test drove a bunch of cars (Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry) and settled on the Hyundai Sonata Limited (the lowest level they have in leather). It seems like a pretty cool car and we are pretty excited about it.

Even though I posted before that I thought there was a big difference between a 4 and 6 cylinder engine when I test drove I didn't think it was that much of a idfference (and so far it seems fine). Definitely didn't seem to be worth the extra couple of thousand dollars or lost gas mileage, as Dan said.

In terms of price: Dan posted that he can get 20-30% of the sticker price, which is pretty impressive. I don't believe that most people will be able to reproduce what Dan was able to do. I will post my experience which I believe everyone can reproduce.

The sticker price was $27,495 and the first quote I recieved was 27k (obviously ridiculous). I went on AMEX ZAG and received an offer of $24,650. I emailed a bunch of the dealers in Baltimore and the best I received was $24,750. I then emailed all the dealers in New Jersey and received an offer of $24,292. I then emailed that offer to all the dealers in New York and Atlantic Hyundai said they could beat it by $300. I emailed them what additional fees will added and they said just DMV fees, taxes and 75 documentation fee 10 and 12.50. When I got to the dealership they honored the quote and what they brought out the papers with the total price they added a $379 dealership fee. I said I have it in writing that there will be no additional fees and because I had it in writing they honored that (actually took the $379 off the price of the car because they said that they have to charge this $379 fee) so in the end I paid $23,549 (which is 15% off the sticker). And I had a bunch of dealerships refusing to match even at $24,750.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:46:15 PM by Ergel »
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2011, 11:44:47 PM »
When I was helping my family out to buy a Town and Country a few years back I called a bunch of dealers in NY/Balt etc and then I called Detroit. When I came back to Baltimore I had dealers who didn't believe the low prices I was being offered and wanted to call to see for themselves. :)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »

I test drove a bunch of cars (Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry) and settled on the Hyundai Sonata Limited (the lowest level they have in leather). It seems like a pretty cool car and we are pretty excited about it.

Even though I posted before that I thought there was a big difference between a 4 and 6 cylinder engine when I test drove I didn't think it was that much of a idfference (and so far it seems fine). Definitely didn't seem to be worth the extra couple of thousand dollars or lost gas mileage, as Dan said.

In terms of price: Dan posted that he can get 20-30% of the sticker price, which is pretty impressive. I don't believe that most people will be able to reproduce what Dan was able to do. I will post my experience which I believe everyone can reproduce.

The sticker price was $27,495 and the first quote I recieved was 27k (obviously ridiculous). I went on AMEX ZAG and received an offer of $24,650. I emailed a bunch of the dealers in Baltimore and the best I received was $24,750. I then emailed all the dealers in New Jersey and received an offer of $24,292. I then emailed that offer to all the dealers in New York and Atlantic Hyundai said they could beat it by $300. I emailed them what additional fees will added and they said just DMV fees, taxes and 75 documentation fee 10 and 12.50. When I got to the dealership they honored the quote and what they brought out the papers with the total price they added a $379 dealership fee. I said I have it in writing that there will be no additional fees and because I had it in writing they honored that (actually took the $379 off the price of the car because they said that they have to charge this $379 fee) so in the end I paid $23,549 (which is 15% off the sticker). And I had a bunch of dealerships refusing to match even at $24,750.
To be fair, I got a $1,000 financing rebate and a $500 college grad rebate which lowered the price of my Altima.  Entirely possibly I could've wound up with the Sonata had the passenger seat been a bit higher-up or if they just made it height adjustable.
No mater though as we're absolutely in love with the Altima.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:36 AM »

Did you look into leasing the same car?
Was it a feasible option?

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2011, 12:55:59 AM »
I also just bought the sonata. I got the GLS Model for 18,000

I did negotiating by a few dealers.... I learnt on thing - all the ads are lies - They just want you to come in

I was thinking about the altima too... And at the time I got my sonata (in May) I did see good price options on the altima

Just a tip to the public... Research the rebates you are eligible before you speak to the dealer, and get a price from them... (without telling them what you are eligible for) then use the rebates to lower your price...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2011, 12:58:57 AM »
Just a tip to the public... Research the rebates you are eligible before you speak to the dealer, and get a price from them... (without telling them what you are eligible for) then use the rebates to lower your price...
+1

Offline interested

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »
just bought 2012 altima 2.5S for $18,100 + $900 finance charge. excluding finance charge it is a 30% discount of sticker price of $23,805. they told me they are losing $500 on the deal. Also i was able to put $6000 on my credit card.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2011, 11:02:57 AM »
they told me they are losing $500 on the deal.
lol

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
Another point when it comes to leasing vs. buying is that from what I've heard, when you lease, you pay at least an extra $1000 in the first month.

The issue with your math is that it also doesn't take into account what happens after 10 years (sounds kinda like this administration's health care plan). When you lease, you just keep paying and paying. When you buy, you can have a car for much longer than that, and after those 100 months, it's totally free (aside from repairs).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »
Another point when it comes to leasing vs. buying is that from what I've heard, when you lease, you pay at least an extra $1000 in the first month.

The issue with your math is that it also doesn't take into account what happens after 10 years (sounds kinda like this administration's health care plan). When you lease, you just keep paying and paying. When you buy, you can have a car for much longer than that, and after those 100 months, it's totally free (aside from repairs).
If the payback period was 10 years then I would have leased.  I think it's much less than that especially with negotiation.

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
Even according to the calculations listed above, it would only have been a bit over 8 years, and less than that when you calculate in the down payments.

I wasn't calculating in negotiations, but the price/lease ratio may be different depending on the car. For example, a toyota camry has a base price of about 22,000, I think - but there were deals to lease it for $200 a month.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »
the price/lease ratio may be different depending on the car.
It most definitely will be different based on the model and its predicted residual value.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
A friend of mine leased a Accord and at the time of signing negotiated the buyout price. He will end up (if he buys it) paying about $18,500!

they told me they are losing $500 on the deal.

They are losing money on the sale of the car... but they really are making money from the incentives they get form the car manufactures
I read this before I bought a car - http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html - a lot of useful info to know before walking into a dealership.