Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Visa  (Read 817408 times)

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Sapphire Visa
« Reply #2320 on: October 14, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
I just closed  this account, how long shall I wait to reapply a new card in order to get the bonus again?

Thanks again.
No real time limit.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline jnjose

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: October 14, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
No real time limit.

One more question, if I could simply close old sapphire preferred visa and reopen a new one to get bonus again. Why here so many people are discussing about switching visa to MasterCard?  Downgrade and upgrade?

Sorry for these naive questions.

Thanks again.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 14, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »
One more question, if I could simply close old sapphire preferred visa and reopen a new one to get bonus again. Why here so many people are discussing about switching visa to MasterCard?  Downgrade and upgrade?

Sorry for these naive questions.

Thanks again.
Not a problem, you have to start somewhere. Reading through the forums will definitely help you.

One should not really close a credit card, as it can negatively affect your credit score. By switching from a Visa to MC or other way around, when you apply for the new card and possibly get rejected, you can say you need the other type of card. The bank can then "close" your old card and give you the new one and can earn a bonus. This will not hurt your score.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline jnjose

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 14, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
Not a problem, you have to start somewhere. Reading through the forums will definitely help you.

One should not really close a credit card, as it can negatively affect your credit score. By switching from a Visa to MC or other way around, when you apply for the new card and possibly get rejected, you can say you need the other type of card. The bank can then "close" your old card and give you the new one and can earn a bonus. This will not hurt your score.

Thanks for your kindness. 

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 20, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »
I wanted to reapply for the Chase Sapphire Plus.  When I called to downgrade, they wouldn't let me downgrade to the Freedom, they just downgraded me to the free Sapphire.  Will this prevent me from getting a sign up bonus if I apply to the Sapphire plus again?  If so, can I switch the free Sapphire to the mastercard?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: October 20, 2013, 05:02:14 PM »
I wanted to reapply for the Chase Sapphire Plus.  When I called to downgrade, they wouldn't let me downgrade to the Freedom, they just downgraded me to the free Sapphire.  Will this prevent me from getting a sign up bonus if I apply to the Sapphire plus again?  If so, can I switch the free Sapphire to the mastercard?

The Sapphire and sapphire preferred are two different products AFAIK.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2326 on: October 20, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »
The Sapphire and sapphire preferred are two different products AFAIK.
Yup they are.

Offline Vosizderneias

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 20, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »
When u go from the preferred visa to the preferred mastercard, they check ur credit, right? If so any way to throw a 3 bm. Like while on phone to go to mastercard, also open 2 more cards...

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 20, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »
When u go from the preferred visa to the preferred mastercard, they check ur credit, right? If so any way to throw a 3 bm. Like while on phone to go to mastercard, also open 2 more cards...
They just switch it.

Not possible.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2329 on: October 20, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
No credit pull to switch.

Offline midnightinharlem

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: October 20, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »
Need some advice. I have the SP Visa, which I applied for in February 2013. The annual fee will be due February 2014, which I understand is when the 7% dividend posts. I have several other Chase cards: Freedom, United MP Explorer (applied Feb '13, will close if I don't get a retention offer), Ink Bold (applied Sep '13), and BA Visa (applied Sep '13).

I'd like to get the SP Visa bonus again, and apply for the Ink Plus card at the same time (may as well, right?). I'm targeting applying for these cards in early 2014. Should I wait to convert my current SP Visa to the WMC until the AF hits / 7% dividend posts, or just go ahead and do it now, then apply for the SP Visa and Ink Plus early next year?

If I want to apply for the SP Visa and Ink Plus in Mar '14, should I wait to convert in Feb '14? Or should I just apply for the new cards in January?

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 20, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
Need some advice. I have the SP Visa, which I applied for in February 2013. The annual fee will be due February 2014, which I understand is when the 7% dividend posts. I have several other Chase cards: Freedom, United MP Explorer (applied Feb '13, will close if I don't get a retention offer), Ink Bold (applied Sep '13), and BA Visa (applied Sep '13).

I'd like to get the SP Visa bonus again, and apply for the Ink Plus card at the same time (may as well, right?). I'm targeting applying for these cards in early 2014. Should I wait to convert my current SP Visa to the WMC until the AF hits / 7% dividend posts, or just go ahead and do it now, then apply for the SP Visa and Ink Plus early next year?

If I want to apply for the SP Visa and Ink Plus in Mar '14, should I wait to convert in Feb '14? Or should I just apply for the new cards in January?
Just FYI, you will probably have two pulls with this proposed applications. IMHO, you should convert your SP to a MC and then whenever you are ready to re-apply, it will be easier to get the card approved.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline midnightinharlem

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 20, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Marco. If I convert the SP to a MC, will I forfeit the 7% dividend? It's not a lot so I'm not really worried about it. Also, if I send an SM to convert it to a MC, can I continue to use the card until the MC arrives?

Finally, should I transfer out my UR points to my Chase Freedom before sending the SM?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:23:49 PM by midnightinharlem »

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: October 20, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Marco. If I convert the SP to a MC, will I forfeit the 7% dividend? It's not a lot so I'm not really worried about it. Also, if I send an SM to convert it to a MC, can I continue to use the card until the MC arrives?

Finally, should I transfer out my UR points to my Chase Freedom before sending the SM?
To the 2nd question you may use until the MC cards come and to the 3rd question You will not lose your points its the same account.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 20, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
To the 2nd question you may use until the MC cards come and to the 3rd question You will not lose your points its the same account.
Not sure about that. If you go online, you can easily transfer them over. Can't hurt.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 20, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »
Not sure about that. If you go online, you can easily transfer them over. Can't hurt.
Its not necessary just did it its considered the same account.

Offline midnightinharlem

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 20, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »
Thanks both of you. I'll transfer out the points in the abundance of caution. Is it recommended to SM or PUTPAC to convert to a Mastercard?

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 20, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »
Its not necessary just did it its considered the same account.
Same here.  Around three months ago, and I did not lose the points.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: October 20, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
Thanks both of you. I'll transfer out the points in the abundance of caution. Is it recommended to SM or PUTPAC to convert to a Mastercard?
Phone call should be sufficient.

Offline midnightinharlem

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 21, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »
Tried sending an SM, and was told that I couldn't product change since the card was open less than 12 months. True statement? Any chance I can HUCA?