Author Topic: QUESTION! Buying Amex gift card to meet requirements  (Read 11693 times)

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: QUESTION! Buying Amex gift card to meet requirements
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
But will this be al menas lehachzir?
Ah!!! the aweet smell of innocence

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »
is amazon payments safer? also do I sent is as Goods/Services or Cash Advance ? btw this is for amex threshold

No offense, but you require too much spoonfeeding. Do some reading, do some thinking, and I'll be happy to converse with you.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
No offense, but you require too much spoonfeeding. Do some reading, do some thinking, and I'll be happy to converse with you.

Hello-Do you say this to everyone? For the record I just went through 30+ min of reading and sifting through all these formus- Its impossible to get a clear cut answer...

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=1408.45

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=7526.msg87787#msg87787

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=3524.msg42517#msg42517

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=6437.msg85622#msg85622

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=6441.msg72439#msg72439

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »
Hello-Do you say this to everyone? For the record I just went through 30+ min of reading and sifting through all these formus- Its impossible to get a clear cut answer...

I don't say this to everyone.  But you keep asking questions about topics that have been discussed extensively where if there was a clear cut answer it would have been stated.

So perhaps you should conclude that if someone here had a clear cut answer you'd get one. We all come here to discuss ideas and sometimes TOFTT by trying things ourselves.

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »
I don't say this to everyone.  But you keep asking questions about topics that have been discussed extensively where if there was a clear cut answer it would have been stated.

So perhaps you should conclude that if someone here had a clear cut answer you'd get one. We all come here to discuss ideas and sometimes TOFTT by trying things ourselves.

So what should i do after searching? I mean isnt the whole point of the forum to ask/discuss ?

Offline nageeork

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
Need a quick response:I want to meet my 2500 threshold on my british air card. Im considering buying a 2000 dollar gift card from amex...Is it safe? meaning will chase or amex give me any problems?

I bought an amex giftcard with the amex platinum to reach the threshold (and b'h I got the points even though Amex cancelled the charge for the giftcard) and it triggered a f/r.

Offline Spiffster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »
Take a breath...

in your OP, you say it's for the BA card.  Now you're talking amex. 

How much time do you have left on what cards to meet what spending thresholds?

AP has been around for a couple years.  It's well-discussed here, on ft and fw.  The same for the mint (faq on ft has 99% of what you need to know).  Actually, most stuff we talk about has been around for a while.

And yes, while a main point point of these forums is to ask and discuss but it's also to learn.  Think of it like this: this is grad school.  We all have a certain level of knowledge about these topics and have certain amount of experience with them.  We've done this for a while and have an idea of how it all fits together, what works, what doesn't, etc...   You're coming across as a new kid asking freshman-level questions who won't go to the library or get a textbook.  We can't just give you the answers because you won't understand how it all fits together.  You need to do the basic-level work yourself - we can't do your own homework for you.

My intuition tells me you're running out of time and are frantic.  Take a deep breath and slow down.  Missing out on a spend threshold is a bummer but it's not life or death.  There will be more offers....

So what should i do after searching? I mean isnt the whole point of the forum to ask/discuss ?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »
Take a breath...

in your OP, you say it's for the BA card.  Now you're talking amex. 

How much time do you have left on what cards to meet what spending thresholds?

AP has been around for a couple years.  It's well-discussed here, on ft and fw.  The same for the mint (faq on ft has 99% of what you need to know).  Actually, most stuff we talk about has been around for a while.

And yes, while a main point point of these forums is to ask and discuss but it's also to learn.  Think of it like this: this is grad school.  We all have a certain level of knowledge about these topics and have certain amount of experience with them.  We've done this for a while and have an idea of how it all fits together, what works, what doesn't, etc...   You're coming across as a new kid asking freshman-level questions who won't go to the library or get a textbook.  We can't just give you the answers because you won't understand how it all fits together.  You need to do the basic-level work yourself - we can't do your own homework for you.

My intuition tells me you're running out of time and are frantic.  Take a deep breath and slow down.  Missing out on a spend threshold is a bummer but it's not life or death.  There will be more offers....

Thanks Spiff ;)

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 12:58:45 AM »
What are the options to do with AMEX gift cards after you buy them besides spend them on everyday purchases?

can you cancel them immediately after getting them? or if not immediately how long must you wait?
and how do they refund them? refund to cc used to buy them? or check?