Poll

What do you think of a system allowing DDF posts to be rated?

DDF really needs a wiki
16 (38.1%)
It would be awesome!
0 (0%)
I'm interested in trying it out.
8 (19%)
I'm undecided.
4 (9.5%)
It would suck.
8 (19%)
Just leave the forums as is.
6 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Would you benefit from a post rating system on DDF?  (Read 6367 times)

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
Re: Would you benefit from a post rating system on DDF?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »
Don't you think that all this dumb talk abt n00bs is encouraging them to go to other forums where they can get the info without harrassment- thereby being bad for dan.
Honestly I don't know why these discussions are even allowed. I know a bunch of people who decided to go elsewhere bec every thread ends up in a useless bicker.
I think if a mod has an issue with a post send a pm to the poster abt what the issue is.

+1
Until there is a system in place for nooBs to ask away, we really shouldn't be flaming them and telling them to search etc.  Alot of times they do, and they were already in the wrong board or they looked for the wrong keywords etc.
Not everyone is adept to the system, hence the term nooBs and we should try and help them, not get upset.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 12:16:24 AM »
Arguably the n00bs hurt the site by making it harder for anyone to find information and by discouraging the regulars (who actually contribute) to keep frequenting the site and providing answers to all these noobs' questions.

I'm not saying that's my position, but it's a valid counter-argument.
Hey, your new signature font make me dizzy. Can you modify it a bit for me?

Offline arie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 12:18:52 AM »
Hey, your new signature font make me dizzy. Can you modify it a bit for me?
was just gonna say the same thing. its just a bit too long, so when scrolling down, it seems like a post :D

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 12:27:17 AM »
was just gonna say the same thing. its just a bit too long, so when scrolling down, it seems like a post :D
No. I'm referring to the actual font. I doesn't look as clear as the font on the actual forums, and it gets me somewhat dizzy. (If he would only post once per day..... ;D ;D)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 01:59:17 AM »
So I think the poll should really be why don't you frequent the site- bec of noobs or bec of the useless bickering.

1. I wonder why you feel so threatened by it (or me?).
2. It's my poll, post your own if you have a different question.
3. It's about a software improvement, not about n00bs at all, so stop making it about something it isn't.

Until there is a system in place for nooBs to ask away, we really shouldn't be flaming them and telling them to search etc.  Alot of times they do, and they were already in the wrong board or they looked for the wrong keywords etc.
Not everyone is adept to the system, hence the term nooBs and we should try and help them, not get upset.

Just because they are n00bs, doesn't mean they don't have to conform to basic netiquette.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 04:49:44 AM »

Another issue is the same we had with with karma in the old days.
Someone gets angry at someone else and will downgrade all of his posts and then vice versa.

I feel the same.

And yes, the most helpful things would probably be a wiki, and a flame free thread for newbies to ask away.

+1

Makes sense. Let's keep the place friendly for them so they decide to stay, not intimidate them.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 12:47:17 PM »
I think another good idea would be to have new users redirected to a page with some basic info (how to search, forum rules etc.)
I doubt anybody will actually read it but at least there's an excuse to flame them ;0

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 12:49:27 PM »
I think another good idea would be to have new users redirected to a page with some basic info (how to search, forum rules etc.)
I doubt anybody will actually read it but at least there's an excuse to flame them ;0

lol. I already recommended this and I'm working on the post.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Q274

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
Ok, so a point was made in a diff topic by ashero and I must say that believe it or not I actually agree to- the point was that, a lot of times when you get a lot of topics started in a specific threadit makes it that you can miss a legit topic- this is especially unfourtanate in the deals type threads.

So I thought abt it and i had an idea- now I know very little so it might not make sense but I am sure it can be tweaked- here it is:
Every thread should have a report to mod type button where it is specific to disliking the place of the topic or disliking the topic period- if the mod gets x amount of those clicks for that topic that topic is either removed or replaced.
This way nobody is insulted bec nobody knows who "voted" and the topic isn't necessarily removed just replaced.
Maybe even start a thread for all misplaced topics.
Does this make any sense at all??

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Does this make any sense at all??
No.  If something is misplaced or deserves its own thread then just use the report to mod button.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.