Author Topic: Question about Chase balance Transfer  (Read 1024 times)

Offline husky007

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Question about Chase balance Transfer
« on: April 01, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.  ;)

Currently, I'm carrying a balance from a 0% APR balance transfer on my chase freedom card and plan to pay only the minimum due until the zero APR expires. Since the freedom card has some nice 5% categories in Q2, I was wondering if it's possible to take advantage of the bonus earning while avoiding incurring interest from the new purchases. I checked the T&Cs and realize that I won't have a grace period on purchases if I don't pay off the entire balance first (meaning any new purchase will immediately generate interest once it's posted unless I pay the statement balance in full beforehand). AFAIK, the CARD Act requires that card issuers apply payment amounts in excess of the minimum payment to the highest interest rate balance.

So my question is: if I make a payment that equals ($minimumDue + $newPurchases) BEFORE the new purchases, will the $newPurchases be applied to the new purchases, or the $newPurchase will still be applied to the remaining transferred balance rather than the new purchases, since the new purchases have not happened at that point of time?

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Chase balance Transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 01:12:04 AM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.  ;)

Currently, I'm carrying a balance from a 0% APR balance transfer on my chase freedom card and plan to pay only the minimum due until the zero APR expires. Since the freedom card has some nice 5% categories in Q2, I was wondering if it's possible to take advantage of the bonus earning while avoiding incurring interest from the new purchases. I checked the T&Cs and realize that I won't have a grace period on purchases if I don't pay off the entire balance first (meaning any new purchase will immediately generate interest once it's posted unless I pay the statement balance in full beforehand). AFAIK, the CARD Act requires that card issuers apply payment amounts in excess of the minimum payment to the highest interest rate balance.

So my question is: if I make a payment that equals ($minimumDue + $newPurchases) BEFORE the new purchases, will the $newPurchases be applied to the new purchases, or the $newPurchase will still be applied to the remaining transferred balance rather than the new purchases, since the new purchases have not happened at that point of time?
Don't know exact terms, but usually this is how the cc companies get u. ANY new purchase cancels out your non-APR rate...