Author Topic: Dispute Credit pull?  (Read 106614 times)

Offline jsk173

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dispute Credit pull?
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2016, 03:36:37 AM »
No but his posts do.

Which of his posts? He posted something that refuted the legal statute that was posted?

You're engaging in childish tribalism over nothing.

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2016, 06:13:27 AM »
This thread is pathetic. All 3 of you should get a life. Can't believe I wasted the time to read it, would have never believed this same thing continues on for 19 pages (in Tapatalk at least).

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
This thread is pathetic. All 3 of you should get a life. Can't believe I wasted the time to read it, would have never believed this same thing continues on for 19 pages (in Tapatalk at least).
-1 . 4 pages
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline TAVI

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »
Now i have to preempt this by saying that i dont know much about the legal side of credit pulls, or legal matters in general. Sure don't know what prompted me to read this entire thread this lovely Sun afternoon.

but to me the attacks on jsk173 seemed unfair. Now i dont know if there's any previous bad blood between some of you (like other threads or topics), or whether there are hidden loyalties or friendships in play here, but i'm even more puzzled by the fact that it is done by established forum members.

now, JSK, i have no clue whether you have any use for my advice (and you probably don't) - but to me, you made valid logical arguments (no idea if right / wrong), that have not received any valid response, and it sounds like you know that, so why play into this whole thing? to me it seemed that you were being taunted, and you are just not going to get acknowledgment from the other side, whether right or wrong.

anyways, my 2 cents
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:50:11 PM by TAVI »

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
Now i have to preempt this by saying that i dont know much about the legal side of credit pulls, or legal matters in general. Sure don't know what prompted me to read this entire thread this lovely Sun afternoon.

anyways, my 2 cents
you obviously didn't read the entire thread
my 2 cents

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
now, JSK, i have no clue whether you have any use for my advice (and you probably don't) - but to me, you made valid logical arguments (no idea if right / wrong), that have not received any valid response, and it sounds like you know that, so why play into this whole thing? to me it seemed that you were being taunted, and you are just not going to get acknowledgment from the other side, whether right or wrong.

I'm astonished it went on as long as it did. On every other board I've ever been on, if someone resurrects a two-month-old thread, they better have a very good reason. But here, the guy did so, in a strident manner, and then both refused to post any supporting evidence and played a silly game of change-the-subject when it was established he was wrong about the legalities. The whole thing was bizarre; I felt like I was on an internet version of "Candid Camera."

Then, while claiming I'm some sort of troll/troublemaker, they went and started rehashing this in not one but two other threads in the Just Schmooze area, including one that calls me out by name. Truly bizarre, especially if "dropping this" was what everyone supposedly wanted.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
I'm astonished it went on as long as it did. On every other board I've ever been on, if someone resurrects a two-month-old thread, they better have a very good reason. But here, the guy did so, in a strident manner, and then both refused to post any supporting evidence and played a silly game of change-the-subject when it was established he was wrong about the legalities. The whole thing was bizarre;I felt like I was on an internet version of "Candid Camera."

Wow, you sound like such a victim. It must feel crazy to be blindsided like that.

Children, can you say today's DDF "word of the day"? Passive-aggressive. That's right. Now say it with me. Passive-aggressive.

Learning can be such fun.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
Wow, you sound like such a victim. It must feel crazy to be blindsided like that.

Children, can you say today's DDF "word of the day"? Passive-aggressive. That's right. Now say it with me. Passive-aggressive.

Learning can be such fun.

I was passive-aggressive? No.

Passive-aggressive is when a person, e.g., stridently resurrects an old thread but then refuses to post anything in support of his strident position.

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
I was passive-aggressive? No.

Passive-aggressive is when a person, e.g., strident resurrects an old thread but then refuses to post anything in support of his strident position.

I have not been following you around nor have i followed any of your "discussions" but one thing you have got to learn!

Not everything needs a response 
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2016, 04:54:20 PM »
you obviously didn't read the entire thread

Unfortunately i did. but i have to say that i did only "glance through" some parts of it, as it did get quite repetitive at times, so it is possible i missed something specific you are referring to. 

having said that, i did not read any of the other thread discussions referred to above, so my overall assessment is based solely on what transpired in this thread. 

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
Unfortunately i did. but i have to say that i did only "glance through" some parts of it, as it did get quite repetitive at times, so it is possible i missed something specific you are referring to. 

Sadly, you didn't miss anything specific. If you read comments #27 to #29 and then from #170 forward, you read the whole sorry thread.

Offline yochiek93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2016, 06:27:53 PM »

having said that, i did not read any of the other thread discussions referred to above, so my overall assessment is based solely on what transpired in this thread.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=7467.msg1604259#msg1604259 http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=7467.msg1604014#msg1604014
Just read these and tell me what you think

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2016, 06:46:59 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=7467.msg1604259#msg1604259 http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=7467.msg1604014#msg1604014

The first link is to the statute. The second link is to some guy's erroneous opinion of the statute.

As anyone with decent reading comprehension will see, nothing in the statute says anything about hard vs. soft pulls, and sections (3)(F)(i) and (3)(F)(ii) give banks the right to pull an existing customer's credit at any time for purposes of account review.

This is where JTZ will come along and say, "But no banks actually do it!" — which wasn't the point. Banks don't often do hard pulls because they don't want to annoy existing customers, but it would be LEGAL for them to do it. Likewise, stores rarely give change in nickels and dimes, not because it's illegal, but because they don't want to annoy customers.

This really isn't hard; not sure why some people here insist on making it hard.

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »

1st of all, thank you for the links, as there was truly 0 chance i was going to reread this thread :).

I do think that the statue itself listed in first link doesn't clearly address the issue, at least to an inexperienced layman like me, as it doesnt clarify what would be a valid reason for "account review" or the frequency with which such reviews can occur. Though i'm sure there are sub-statues or precedence that likely address these questions. I'm assuming that late / missed payment would for sure be one of those reasons.  Also, i'm sure there is other info dictating when hard / soft pulls can be used, and in my personal experience only soft pulls are used for account maintenance, but again its not clear from quoted text.

the lawsuit link seems more promising, and i agree that the general sense of the article does seem to be that financial institutions can't just hard pull when they want to, but based on below text, it sounded to me that the situation here wasn't banks pulling credit on existing customers as part of an account review process, but rather hard pulling prospective clients even though they haven't fully finalized the loan application, even after promising to soft pull them. Again, i'm by no means a lawyer, so maybe i'm just mis-interpreting the text.

((The settlement class includes anyone on whom SoFi ran a “hard” credit inquiry between Nov. 20, 2013, and Aug. 13, 2014, in connection with a student loan refinancing or a personal loan who never finished the process of funded a loan nor uploading the documentation.    The class action began with a complaint in November 2014 from consumer Shawn Heaton saying that SoFi falsely represented to prospective borrowers that it ran soft credit inquiries that wouldn’t affect a credit score, violating the FCRA and California’s Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies Act and Unfair Competition Law))

Just to be clear, although i'm of the opinion that banks can't just hard pull your credit (based on my personal experience and anecdotal evidence gathered from credit departments) and the fact that they just don't do it is good enough for me. Thus i do believe that a specific legal reason does exist, but don't think it has been presented in this thread yet.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
Also, i'm sure there is other info dictating when hard / soft pulls can be used, and in my personal experience only soft pulls are used for account maintenance, but again its not clear from quoted text.

No. There's absolutely nothing, anywhere in credit law, that distinguishes between "hard" and "soft" credit pulls.

Just to be clear, although i'm of the opinion that banks can't just hard pull your credit (based on my personal experience and anecdotal evidence gathered from credit departments) and the fact that they just don't do it is good enough for me. Thus i do believe that a specific legal reason does exist, but don't think it has been presented in this thread yet.

We're back to where the thread started: If it's illegal for banks to make a so-called "hard" pull of one's credit for purposes of account review, it should be easy to cite the relevant statute(s) forbidding it.

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:01 PM »
No. There's absolutely nothing, anywhere in credit law, that distinguishes between "hard" and "soft" credit pulls.

We're back to where the thread started: If it's illegal for banks to make a so-called "hard" pull of one's credit for purposes of account review, it should be easy to cite the relevant statute(s) forbidding it.

JSK, I understand that you are looking for a hard "ink on paper" proof, and hopefully someone with credit law expertise can shed some light, if such exists, but it sure ain't me.

if i understand correctly, the counter-argument to your point is based on "inference" of bank / FI actions in reality and the assumption that it is based on legal precedence.

any-hows, its just credit law, not worth losing sleep over it :) 

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »
if i understand correctly, the counter-argument to your point is based on "inference" of bank / FI actions in reality and the assumption that it is based on legal precedence.

Sure, but after two months, no one has been able to cite a single statute that backs up their assumption.

(I agree that it's not worth losing sleep over.)

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2016, 10:16:01 PM »
Sure, but after two months, no one has been able to cite a single statute that backs up their assumption.

(I agree that it's not worth losing sleep over.)
Maybe off topic...what year of law school are you currently in?
Your hangup with citing chapter and verse is very interesting.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2016, 10:18:54 PM »
Maybe off topic...what year of law school are you currently in?
Your hangup with citing chapter and verse is very interesting.

It's not a "hang up." You can't sue a bank without citing a law that was violated.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2016, 10:23:28 PM »
It's not a "hang up." You can't sue a bank without citing a law that was violated.
Really? There is a whole body of common law that is not codified which allow you to sue in equity rather than in law. You dont always need a statute.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.