Author Topic: World Baseball Classic  (Read 7330 times)

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: World Baseball Classic
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 02:44:03 AM »
Shalom Tokyo! Israel plays TBD Sunday 6am ET. It is a "road" game but the 2 after that will be "home".
During Megilla. Interesting...

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
Don't know if this was done on purpose, but none of the games in their pools are scheduled for shabbos.
Do we know if they would play on Shabbos? I can't imagine this hasn't been brought up.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 08:22:50 AM »
Do we know if they would play on Shabbos? I can't imagine this hasn't been brought up.

I read somewhere that they played a condensed schedule (other groups didn't even start playing yet) so they wouldn't play on shabbos. Which is kinda strange because Israel doesn't care about sports in shabbos and none of the players seem religious.

Online Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
You guys are joking right? Shabbas and Purim are not considerations for scheduling.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 09:51:17 AM »
You guys are joking right? Shabbas and Purim are not considerations for scheduling.
I thought the rest of the world had a change of heart and are all pro-Israel now.  :)
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »
Btw @Dan, are you going to Tokyo next week? Don't lie and say you haven't thought about it!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:57:08 AM by Redbull3 »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_at_the_World_Baseball_Classic

Israel's schedule was positioned in a way that they would play the afternoon game on Friday, under any circumstances, in order to avoid the need to play on Shabbat, and the Saturday night game, should Israel need to play, would start after Shabbat was over.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
Especially since they are owned by Ted Cruz...
This is the only annoying part. They're still part of what used to be Gawker media, and the writers are all very political.

ETA: And if you think Ted Cruz tweeted that himself, I have a bridge to sell you. Not that it made it any less funny of course.

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »

Israel's schedule was positioned in a way that they would play the afternoon game on Friday, under any circumstances, in order to avoid the need to play on Shabbat, and the Saturday night game, should Israel need to play, would start after Shabbat was over.
Wow I stand corrected and shocked. Ftr that was the qualifiers in NY to determine the 16th team, which drew a lot of Jews if you remember and there is no way the main tourney would avoid shabbas games. Still I am shocked. Sorry!

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 10:06:47 AM »

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 10:16:01 AM »

Love this:

Israel's catcher Ryan Lavarnway noted after the win: "two generations ago, the way that this team was put together would have meant that we were being killed... It means a lot more than that we're here."

It's so true and why this is becoming such a thing. This team has nothing to do with Israel. It's pure Jews.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »
Wow I stand corrected and shocked. Ftr that was the qualifiers in NY to determine the 16th team, which drew a lot of Jews if you remember and there is no way the main tourney would avoid shabbas games. Still I am shocked. Sorry!

I think they will accommodate as long as it makes sense. I don't think the first round scheduling was a coincidence.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
This team has nothing to do with Israel. It's pure Jews.
News flash.  :)
To most of the world Israel=Jews.  ;)

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
Also buried on that wikipedia page is that Brad Goldberg left white sox camp to join for round 2. He was a competent AAA closer and he saved 2 games in the qualifier. Nice addition to the pen! Zeid can go back to dominating middle/long relief.

This was from during offseason about probably not being able to join:
"I still have to talk to the White Sox. There's still stuff going on this offseason. It's my Rule 5 year. There's still a busy offseason in my individual case," Goldberg said. "So, it's still so fresh, I haven't even thought about it. But if they ask me to go, and the stars align, I would definitely be more than open to going and contributing. It was a great experience.

"Those teams are very good and this could be an experience of a lifetime. So, I'm definitely open to it and willing to do it, but obviously there are some higher powers that need to let me know if I can or depending on if I can make the team. There's a lot of variables there."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:44:00 AM by Redbull3 »

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
So Cuba beat Australia 4-3 so Pool E is set: Israel, Netherlands, Japan and Cuba.

Israel schedule:
Cuba@Israel Sat 10pm ET
Netherlands@Israel Mon 6am ET
Israel@Japan Wed 6am ET

Pitch count rules:
Pitch count raised from 65 in first round to 80 in second round.
In all cases, pitchers may complete a plate appearance in which they exceed those thresholds. Any pitcher who throws at least 50 pitches in a game must rest at least four days. A pitcher who throws 30 pitches must rest one day. No pitcher can throw on three consecutive days, regardless of pitch counts.

Israel really has 3 reliable multi inning pitchers: Marquis, Baker and Zeid (addition of Goldberg to close really makes Zeid more available for lengthier mid-game role). Not sure if we'll go Baker-Marquis-Baker, or Marquis-Baker-Marquis.
Given the rules and schedule, if a pitcher goes 50 or more pitches, you can only use him once.
Marquis is our ace but he threw 1 inning Wed, and Baker is more fresh, Baker was great against CT (4.2 scoreless).
I would guess Baker in game 1 and keep him under 50 so he can throw game 3, Marquis in game 2.
Use Zeid in relief when necessary, each game is a must win, but huge plus if we can win AND keep him under 50.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:42:09 PM by Redbull3 »