Topic Wiki

www.hotelsnearshuls.com
www.shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com
www.reservekosher.com/listing-great,-kosher-hotel-in-piscataway,-nj-1488.html
www.godaven.com

Halachic info
http://www.star-k.org/articles/kashrus-kurrents/501/the-travelers-halachic-guide-to-hotels/
www.yutorah.org/togo/sukkot/articles/sukkot_to-go_-_5770_rabbi_flug.pdf
www.crcweb.org/ask_rav/shabbosinhotel.php

Dan's AC sensor override (VIP mode) instructions 
Most hotels in Hawaii have an Inncom thermostat. 
To enter VIP mode:
-While you are holding "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
-Then release "display"
You still can't open/close the balcony, (It still displays if the balcony is open or closed, but it lets the AC run while the balcony is open.)
 but the AC will run if you leave it open and you won't be trapped in your room.  Plus you can also set the AC to lower temps in VIP mode.

Ideas to enter hotel rooms with electronic locks
-Many like to just tape down the latch hole to ensure easy access  (simplest way is to tape the key card over the hole)
-some will just stuff the hole with tissues (you run the risk of it slipping out)
-on cruises, and some hotels, you can use one of those thin refrigerator magnets, put it on the door jamb to cover the hole where the door latch goes.
-others rely on the poskim who allow you to ask a goy (see above)
-exterior portable lock http://www.thexlock.com/
and then there's the best one yet
-Haven't tried it at a hotel but on a cruise I tied a gartel to the inside door handle and left a little sticking out the bottom of the door. I just had to pull the gartel and the door opened. :)

Packing List
challah (4x)                                                        paper plates                             large mixing bowl
wine/grape juice (3x)                                         paper cups                               plastic disposable containers
Plastic silver kiddush cup                                    silver pasticware                      BAGGIES, 3 sizes, tons
neirois (Fri night + Motzei shabbos-2x)              tablecloth (or white towels)     Israeli small/large baggies
matches                                                             white napkins                           tape
empty cans (upside down) as safe holders        shnaps plastic cups                  rope
besomim (cinnamon/cloves)                               shnaps bottle                       timer(s)
havdollah ner (or 2 shabbos ones)                    negel vasser cup                     3prong-to-2prong plug adapters (for timers)
bentchers/zmirois                                              sharp pareve knife                shabbos tissues
siddurs                                                               cutting mat
tinfoil                                                                  sharp fleishig knife

« Last edited by MarkR on June 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

Author Topic: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread  (Read 199257 times)

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbos at a hotel master thread
« Reply #380 on: January 11, 2016, 12:16:56 AM »
why don't you just add it to the wiki I'm sure it will be a help to many, me included.
Done. 
Some of the words regarding cultural mitzvos were specifically chosen since this is a public forum. Hamavin yavin.

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 11, 2016, 12:51:42 AM »
Done. 
Some of the words regarding cultural mitzvos were specifically chosen since this is a public forum. Hamavin yavin.
mine is just sliiiiiightly longer... what are the tons of baggies for?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 11, 2016, 01:24:06 AM »
mine is just sliiiiiightly longer... what are the tons of baggies for?
Anything and everything:  food leftovers, snacks for car, small things to take in backpack, trail findings, etc.

What else did you have on your list?  This is just mainly the shabbos related items.  This list does not include chargers, electronics, hardware, clothes, games, etc. 

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 11, 2016, 08:30:26 AM »
well my food list is very itemized including what is needed for each meal, plus general food, plus motzei/sunday, plus separate column for kitchen gadgets, paper goods, miscellaneous, clothing...
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 11, 2016, 12:56:40 PM »
well my food list is very itemized including what is needed for each meal, plus general food, plus motzei/sunday, plus separate column for kitchen gadgets, paper goods, miscellaneous, clothing...
I'd like to start a new thread where we all list our general packing lists.  We can see if someone else brings something that we hadn't thought about, as well as having a list for new timers who just haven't thought about it. 

Any objections?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #385 on: February 11, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »
When setting VIP mode on an inncom thermostat, does VIP remain on the screen? It didnt for me... Disappeared after about 10 seconds. How do i know its still on VIP mode?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #386 on: February 12, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »
When setting VIP mode on an inncom thermostat, does VIP remain on the screen? It didnt for me... Disappeared after about 10 seconds. How do i know its still on VIP mode?
Bump. Anyone? Time sensitive...

Offline AROCKS1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 15, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
Ive tried searching info on this (what I believe is a relatively common) issue, and couldn't find anything. When staying at a hotel for shabbos and leaving motzei shabbos, is there any solution to not having to pay for the saturday nights stay?

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #388 on: February 15, 2016, 03:29:08 PM »
Ive tried searching info on this (what I believe is a relatively common) issue, and couldn't find anything. When staying at a hotel for shabbos and leaving motzei shabbos, is there any solution to not having to pay for the saturday nights stay?

they will often let you check out (i.e. by 1:00pm) and you bring all of your belongings into a room -- they may permit you to use the premises for the rest of the day, however they won't usually allow you into your room. 4:00pm SPG plat check-out (or if they don't need the room and they allow extra time) helps with some of these issues, if needed.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline AROCKS1

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 15, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »
they will often let you check out (i.e. by 1:00pm) and you bring all of your belongings into a room -- they may permit you to use the premises for the rest of the day, however they won't usually allow you into your room. 4:00pm SPG plat check-out (or if they don't need the room and they allow extra time) helps with some of these issues, if needed.

While this solution may help with the checkout aspect of the process, I'm not sure how it helps with the hachana aspect. Wouldn't packing up my belongings and moving to another room for the purpose of motzei shabbos constitute hachana? (Unless of course, i'm misunderstanding you, or the halchos, or you have a psak that hachana would be mutar in this circumstance)

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 15, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »
While this solution may help with the checkout aspect of the process, I'm not sure how it helps with the hachana aspect. Wouldn't packing up my belongings and moving to another room for the purpose of motzei shabbos constitute hachana? (Unless of course, i'm misunderstanding you, or the halchos, or you have a psak that hachana would be mutar in this circumstance)
I spoke to my Rav who said that as long as all of your muktza stuff is packed away before shabbos, you can pack everything else (because if not the hotel may take/discard it) up on shabbos. You can then instruct the hotel staff to take your muktza suitcase out of the room and direct it to a safe spot - again, they are kicking you out so instead of your stuff getting lost/stolen they can put it somewhere safe for you once they are evicting you anyway.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 15, 2016, 06:30:29 PM »
I spoke to my Rav who said that as long as all of your muktza stuff is packed away before shabbos, you can pack everything else (because if not the hotel may take/discard it) up on shabbos. You can then instruct the hotel staff to take your muktza suitcase out of the room and direct it to a safe spot - again, they are kicking you out so instead of your stuff getting lost/stolen they can put it somewhere safe for you once they are evicting you anyway.

He said L'chatchila its ok to put yourself in that situation?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 15, 2016, 06:34:37 PM »
Yup. AYLOR

Offline AROCKS1

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 15, 2016, 08:20:03 PM »

Interesting psak! I will speak to my rav about it thanks!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 15, 2016, 09:25:49 PM »
I have packed everything into our suitcases except for what we needed on Shabbos and moved the bags to the front desk closet on Friday before Shabbos. Shabbos morning we took our pajamas and anything else we had left out and brought it down to our suitcase. Perhaps you can view those few items we brought down as "putting away" - the same way you would hang up your shirt after you wear it on Friday night, we put our stuff away in the morning into our suitcase that was already at the front desk. Hope that made some sense and perhaps helps.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 15, 2016, 10:41:55 PM »
why not? Amira leakum is mutar for most muktzah cases

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 15, 2016, 10:58:58 PM »
why not? Amira leakum is mutar for most muktzah cases
Plus, it's probably not amira leakum. They're taking it out because they need the room, once they're holding it they can bring it to a safe place.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 15, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »
Hyatt Diamond status got me 7:30pm checkout 8)

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #398 on: February 17, 2016, 01:15:43 PM »
Plus, it's probably not amira leakum. They're taking it out because they need the room, once they're holding it they can bring it to a safe place.
+1
Tzorich Mikomo, etc...

Hyatt Diamond status got me 7:30pm checkout 8)

that's even better! An hour after Shabbos -- Is this in Florida?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline dealfinder85

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 17, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »
Tzorich Mikomo, etc...
that only works for a kli shemilachto l'issur