Topic Wiki

www.hotelsnearshuls.com
www.shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com
www.reservekosher.com/listing-great,-kosher-hotel-in-piscataway,-nj-1488.html
www.godaven.com

Halachic info
http://www.star-k.org/articles/kashrus-kurrents/501/the-travelers-halachic-guide-to-hotels/
www.yutorah.org/togo/sukkot/articles/sukkot_to-go_-_5770_rabbi_flug.pdf
www.crcweb.org/ask_rav/shabbosinhotel.php

Dan's AC sensor override (VIP mode) instructions 
Most hotels in Hawaii have an Inncom thermostat. 
To enter VIP mode:
-While you are holding "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
-Then release "display"
You still can't open/close the balcony, (It still displays if the balcony is open or closed, but it lets the AC run while the balcony is open.)
 but the AC will run if you leave it open and you won't be trapped in your room.  Plus you can also set the AC to lower temps in VIP mode.

Ideas to enter hotel rooms with electronic locks
-Many like to just tape down the latch hole to ensure easy access  (simplest way is to tape the key card over the hole)
-some will just stuff the hole with tissues (you run the risk of it slipping out)
-on cruises, and some hotels, you can use one of those thin refrigerator magnets, put it on the door jamb to cover the hole where the door latch goes.
-others rely on the poskim who allow you to ask a goy (see above)
-exterior portable lock http://www.thexlock.com/
and then there's the best one yet
-Haven't tried it at a hotel but on a cruise I tied a gartel to the inside door handle and left a little sticking out the bottom of the door. I just had to pull the gartel and the door opened. :)

Packing List
challah (4x)                                                        paper plates                             large mixing bowl
wine/grape juice (3x)                                         paper cups                               plastic disposable containers
Plastic silver kiddush cup                                    silver pasticware                      BAGGIES, 3 sizes, tons
neirois (Fri night + Motzei shabbos-2x)              tablecloth (or white towels)     Israeli small/large baggies
matches                                                             white napkins                           tape
empty cans (upside down) as safe holders        shnaps plastic cups                  rope
besomim (cinnamon/cloves)                               shnaps bottle                       timer(s)
havdollah ner (or 2 shabbos ones)                    negel vasser cup                     3prong-to-2prong plug adapters (for timers)
bentchers/zmirois                                              sharp pareve knife                shabbos tissues
siddurs                                                               cutting mat
tinfoil                                                                  sharp fleishig knife

« Last edited by MarkR on June 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

Author Topic: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread  (Read 194548 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: shabbos issues in hotels and their solutions
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »
Do you make a bracha when 'lighting' the bathroom light? Inside the bathroom or out?

asher yotzar

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »
i see, shes saying not to make asher yatzar, cute

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »
i see, shes saying not to make asher yatzar, cute

Well, would you say 'lahadlik ner shell shabbos kodesh'?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »
i would assume so

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2011, 09:02:16 PM »
no, you would not say a bracha, but you should turn on the light specfically l'kovod shabos kodesh and you should probobly say l'kovod shabos kodesh. but this heter is a very big b'dieved and it's not so poshut to do it. the mekor is from r' akiva eiger.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
also if you relied on this heter and you were not an oneis being that you relied on this l'chatchila (i.e. going to a hotel which you were not forced and you knew before hand that you would'nt light) and possibly even if you were an oneis you are most probobly mechuyav to light an extra candle every week for the rest of your life. a shailoh to a competent halakhic authority must be asked.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »
unfortunately, you are just wrong
everything was done on the advice of a qualified posek

but on the bright side, thanks for contributing!

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2011, 09:37:21 PM »
unfortunately, you are just wrong
everything was done on the advice of a qualified posek

but on the bright side, thanks for contributing!
wrong about which points?
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2011, 04:28:53 AM »
also if you relied on this heter and you were not an oneis being that you relied on this l'chatchila (i.e. going to a hotel which you were not forced and you knew before hand that you would'nt light) and possibly even if you were an oneis you are most probobly mechuyav to light an extra candle every week for the rest of your life.

That's for someone who forgot. If you made a mistake about what the halacha is or you relied on a heter/lenience, then I doubt that halacha applies.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »
That's for someone who forgot. If you made a mistake about what the halacha is or you relied on a heter/lenience, then I doubt that halacha applies.

Yes you are probably correct. Let me clarify that 1. This "kenas" of lighting an extra candle does not apply to a man who forgot or who was posheia (unless according to some opinions if he's the one that always lights i.e. he does not have a wife. 2. The reason for this "kenas" is "keday shetehay zehirah b'kvod shabbos" in order that she should be careful in the kavod of shabbos, and therefore it does not have to do if she forgot but rather if she was posheia (mishna berura) and also " Kaparah al shenichshala" (pri megadim, and toras shabbos) as an atonement that she was nichsahl.
Therefore if she couldn't light because of an "oneis" i.e she was sick or was in jail (or according to shu"t be'er sarim in the name of reb eyashiv if she was stuck in traffic and there was no way to light or according koveitz m'beis levi in the name of R' vosner if the clock was going slow and she didn't realize it was broken) than she does not have to light an extra candle but anything else she was doing and because of that there wasn't enough time to light it is not called a "oneis".
In our case if she went to the hotel and she knew beforehand she wouldn't be able to light she is probably a posheia and therefore that is part of the kenas.
Now if she turned on the light in the room "SPECIFICALLY" lkovod shabbos, than there might be room to be lenient but is not so simple.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
There is a big machlokes haposkim if you are allowed to make a bracha on a light bulb as opposed to candles.
The ones that do not allow it are Shu"t Pekudas Eliezer  siman 22, Shu"t mashmia shalom siman 12, shu"t har tzvi volume 2 siman 114, shmiras shabbos kehilchoso chapter 43 hearah 22 in the name of R' shlomo zalman,.
And the ones that do allow it are Shu"t mahasham volume 8 siman 37, shu"t dvar halacha siman 39 among others also see Achiezer volume 3 siman 60 which talks about it. But even the ones that are matir it is on the condition that it is turned on specifically l'kovod shabbos. The bracha would be the regular bracha.
Another machlokes between the ones that are matir is if you are even allowd to make a bracha on a fluorescent light bulb as apposed to a regular light bulb.
Another point is that if you would be in a hotel in E"Y you definitely wouldn't make a bracha on the light since it is made through chillul shabbos (shu"t Az Nidbaru and shu"t Yabia Omer).
Also even the ones that are matir, it might only be if you are having your seuda by the light for the reason being "Shraga B'thara may mihanya" chulin 60b meaning a candle where there is already light what good is it (and would therefore be a bracha levatala). But if you would be eating there you might be able to do it (being that there is a separate machlokes of the reason of why we light.)
If anyone wants me to expound any more or the reasons behind anything, I'll try to do it.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
Yes you are probably correct. Let me clarify that 1. This "kenas" of lighting an extra candle does not apply to a man who forgot or who was posheia (unless according to some opinions if he's the one that always lights i.e. he does not have a wife. 2. The reason for this "kenas" is "keday shetehay zehirah b'kvod shabbos" in order that she should be careful in the kavod of shabbos, and therefore it does not have to do if she forgot but rather if she was posheia (mishna berura) and also " Kaparah al shenichshala" (pri megadim, and toras shabbos) as an atonement that she was nichsahl.
Therefore if she couldn't light because of an "oneis" i.e she was sick or was in jail (or according to shu"t be'er sarim in the name of reb eyashiv if she was stuck in traffic and there was no way to light or according koveitz m'beis levi in the name of R' vosner if the clock was going slow and she didn't realize it was broken) than she does not have to light an extra candle but anything else she was doing and because of that there wasn't enough time to light it is not called a "oneis".
In our case if she went to the hotel and she knew beforehand she wouldn't be able to light she is probably a posheia and therefore that is part of the kenas.
Now if she turned on the light in the room "SPECIFICALLY" lkovod shabbos, than there might be room to be lenient but is not so simple.

So if someone relies on a kula/heter he is a posheia and the machmirim will bo koneis him? That makes no sense at all.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2011, 02:00:11 AM »
I guess on a plane though you would just switch on 8 reading lights going across the 777 for menorah too?
And the "Shamosh" would be the pilot's light? ;D
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2011, 02:09:53 AM »
no, you would not say a bracha, but you should turn on the light specfically l'kovod shabos kodesh and you should probobly say l'kovod shabos kodesh. but this heter is a very big b'dieved and it's not so poshut to do it. the mekor is from r' akiva eiger.
Hmmm, interesting...
Rabbi Akiva Eiger passed away on 1837 while the electric lightblub was invented on 1879..
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »
Hmmm, interesting...
Rabbi Akiva Eiger passed away on 1837 while the electric lightblub was invented on 1879..

But of course RAE had ruach hakodesh ;)

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
So if someone relies on a kula/heter he is a posheia and the machmirim will bo koneis him? That makes no sense at all.
You are correct that it makes no sense. i guess i'm not being that clear. No there will not be a knas if she is relying on a kula. the question is in what way did they allow the kula, it was only allowed in certain instances in certain ways otherwise you may not be yotzai, i.e. is the reason we light because of "oneg" or because of kovod" and that would make the diiference of where we have to light i.e. b'mokom seuda or in the rest of the house. maybe when i have more time i'll elaborate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:25:05 PM by u-no-me-:-) »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
there seems to be confusion with the laws of hadlakas neiros i am therfore writing this to give some basic backround information.

Hadlakas Neiros Shabbos is a mitzvah m'dirabanan which goes all the way back to the days moshe rabeinu.

There is a machlokes rishonim (we will not list all of rishonim) of the reason of why we light: the mishna berura brings in the name tosafos in shabbos that reason is because of "oneg shabbos" on the other hand you have the rambam which in one place he writes it's because of "oneg" and in another place he writes that it is because of "kavod shabbos".

Both the pri megadim and Aruch Hashulchan explain that there is no contradiction in the rambam rather the rambam holds of both reasons.

The Pri Megadim explains it as following "oneg shabbos" means that you shouldn't eat where it is dark and "kavod shabbos" is for the rest of the house in order that "shelo yikashel b'eitz v'even" in order that you shouldn't bump into things.

On the other hand The Aruch Hashulchan Explains the reasons in the exact opposite, where you eat the reason is because of "kavod" and the rest of the house is because of "oneg".
Although the gemara in shabbos says the taam of hadlakas neiros is because of shalom bayis, the levush explains that it is not a third reason rather the machlokes rishonim is from where it stems does it stem from "oneg" or does it stem from kavod".

to be continued... if anyone wants
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
You are correct that it makes no sense. i guess i'm not being that clear. No there will not be a knas if she is relying on a kula. the question is in what way did they allow the kula, it was only allowed in certain instances in certain ways otherwise you may not be yotzai, i.e. is the reason we light because of nullonegnull or because of kovodnull and that would make the diiference of where we have to light i.e. b'mokom seuda or in the rest of the house. maybe when i have more time i'll elaborate.

I'm glad I practice a different religion from you...