Topic Wiki

www.hotelsnearshuls.com
www.shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com
www.reservekosher.com/listing-great,-kosher-hotel-in-piscataway,-nj-1488.html
www.godaven.com

Halachic info
http://www.star-k.org/articles/kashrus-kurrents/501/the-travelers-halachic-guide-to-hotels/
www.yutorah.org/togo/sukkot/articles/sukkot_to-go_-_5770_rabbi_flug.pdf
www.crcweb.org/ask_rav/shabbosinhotel.php

Dan's AC sensor override (VIP mode) instructions 
Most hotels in Hawaii have an Inncom thermostat. 
To enter VIP mode:
-While you are holding "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
-Then release "display"
You still can't open/close the balcony, (It still displays if the balcony is open or closed, but it lets the AC run while the balcony is open.)
 but the AC will run if you leave it open and you won't be trapped in your room.  Plus you can also set the AC to lower temps in VIP mode.

Ideas to enter hotel rooms with electronic locks
-Many like to just tape down the latch hole to ensure easy access  (simplest way is to tape the key card over the hole)
-some will just stuff the hole with tissues (you run the risk of it slipping out)
-on cruises, and some hotels, you can use one of those thin refrigerator magnets, put it on the door jamb to cover the hole where the door latch goes.
-others rely on the poskim who allow you to ask a goy (see above)
-exterior portable lock http://www.thexlock.com/
and then there's the best one yet
-Haven't tried it at a hotel but on a cruise I tied a gartel to the inside door handle and left a little sticking out the bottom of the door. I just had to pull the gartel and the door opened. :)

Packing List
challah (4x)                                                        paper plates                             large mixing bowl
wine/grape juice (3x)                                         paper cups                               plastic disposable containers
Plastic silver kiddush cup                                    silver pasticware                      BAGGIES, 3 sizes, tons
neirois (Fri night + Motzei shabbos-2x)              tablecloth (or white towels)     Israeli small/large baggies
matches                                                             white napkins                           tape
empty cans (upside down) as safe holders        shnaps plastic cups                  rope
besomim (cinnamon/cloves)                               shnaps bottle                       timer(s)
havdollah ner (or 2 shabbos ones)                    negel vasser cup                     3prong-to-2prong plug adapters (for timers)
bentchers/zmirois                                              sharp pareve knife                shabbos tissues
siddurs                                                               cutting mat
tinfoil                                                                  sharp fleishig knife

« Last edited by MarkR on June 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

Author Topic: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread  (Read 197849 times)

Offline Shmuel4

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread
« Reply #600 on: July 25, 2018, 09:40:37 PM »
I was in the Sheraton parsippany two years ago shabos nachmu and there was a couple minyanim. there also is a hyatt house next door
Thanks. Was it a program or just groups who planned minyanim?

Offline ahron15

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 25, 2018, 11:30:47 PM »
Thanks. Was it a program or just groups who planned minyanim?
groups that planned minyanim

Offline Minyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 25, 2018, 11:37:26 PM »
groups that planned minyanim
How would you know if there is a minyan this year?

Offline LetsGo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 26, 2018, 12:17:59 AM »

Offline Srsy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2018, 07:57:27 AM »
http://shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com/
This is for Embassy Suites Parsippany and not the Sheraton Parsippany

Offline mendyt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 26, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
How would you know if there is a minyan this year?
Stop worrying
You can very often find a minyan in the sheraton and you can always walk to the local shul.
https://goo.gl/maps/t9pGjCA7sjN2
https://www.parsippanyshul.org/

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 26, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »
Any ideas for an apartment building with motion sensors that turn on the lights in the hallway? It only goes on by night. I tried testing it to see if I can avoid it turning on, so far I haven't been able to trick it.

I tried speaking to the owner of the vacation apartment I am renting and he doesn't know how to turn it off, and is not willing to regardless...

The heter of the Shevet HaLevi doesn't seem to apply here, since I have Hana'oh since the hallway is dark... Unless if I daven early Friday night, and make it back before it's really dark?

ETA: Just tested it. Turned on even though it is still very light outside.

ETA2: It seems that everyone davens very early here, so it's not dark when we return from shul, so the heter still applies.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:36:40 PM by yelped »

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 26, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
Any ideas for an apartment building with motion sensors that turn on the lights in the hallway? It only goes on by night. I tried testing it to see if I can avoid it turning on, so far I haven't been able to trick it.

I tried speaking to the owner of the vacation apartment I am renting and he doesn't know how to turn it off, and is not willing to regardless...

The heter of the Shevet HaLevi doesn't seem to apply here, since I have Hana'oh since the hallway is dark... Unless if I daven early Friday night, and make it back before it's really dark?

ETA2: It seems that everyone davens very early here, so it's not dark when we return from shul, so the heter still applies.
I remember hearing a shiur from R' Veiner from Monsey where he says to walk really slow as if the light isn't on so even if it does turn on it's lo nicha lei. i could be totally wrong though

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #608 on: July 26, 2018, 06:01:32 PM »
I remember hearing a shiur from R' Veiner from Monsey where he says to walk really slow as if the light isn't on so even if it does turn on it's lo nicha lei. i could be totally wrong though

Seems a tad odd

Online jackofall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 26, 2018, 09:21:17 PM »

Do you see the sensor? Put a piece of duck tape on it.
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline Pesach

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 26, 2018, 09:53:24 PM »
did anyone stay at the intercontinental century city over shabbos? and where there any issues ?

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 26, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »
Did anybody ever stay at... : HOME for Shabbos Nachamu?? Were there any issues?? Cuz that's what we're doing!! And I'm sooooooo nervous!!... Any tips or recommendations?? I have so many Sheilos for my Rav... For Example, can I sing on the street? Cuz like nobody is gonna be home in the city except for my husband and kids so.....
Chaya L.

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #612 on: July 26, 2018, 10:04:08 PM »
Did anybody ever stay at... : HOME for Shabbos Nachamu?? Were there any issues?? Cuz that's what we're doing!! And I'm sooooooo nervous!!... Any tips or recommendations?? I have so many Sheilos for my Rav... For Example, can I sing on the street? Cuz like nobody is gonna be home in the city except for my husband and kids so.....
did you ask your Rav which Tzedaka to donate the points that you won't be using by staying home??

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 26, 2018, 10:26:18 PM »
did you ask your Rav which Tzedaka to donate the points that you won't be using by staying home??
Definitely! That was my first question!! And I was quite surprised when he, in return, asked me for my points since his Rebitzin is dying to go away for Shabbos!!
Chaya L.

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 26, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 31, 2018, 10:56:07 AM »

I entirely sympathize with you.  I had exact experience years ago and LOR's suggestion was to find someone who didn't have to keep Shabbos to lead us in and out, having them trigger all the lights.  That didn't work out as the dynamics would have involved trusting such person with a key without permission of the airbnb host, which I didn't feel comfortable doing. In the end we experienced a Shabbos locked in together. Wonderful family bonding experience.
I'm not saying that you couldn't find an opinion that would be more lenient - but this was what I was told.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 31, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »

I entirely sympathize with you.  I had exact experience years ago and LOR's suggestion was to find someone who didn't have to keep Shabbos to lead us in and out, having them trigger all the lights.  That didn't work out as the dynamics would have involved trusting such person with a key without permission of the airbnb host, which I didn't feel comfortable doing. In the end we experienced a Shabbos locked in together. Wonderful family bonding experience.
I'm not saying that you couldn't find an opinion that would be more lenient - but this was what I was told.
Interesting. I am referring to a very Chassidish kehilla (if you're following my posts). This solution seems to be accepted by everyone (the ETA2).

Offline Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »
The hallway we had an issue with had no windows so it was pitch dark without the lights. Your situation is different.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2018, 05:31:58 PM »
The hallway we had an issue with had no windows so it was pitch dark without the lights. Your situation is different.
Ah...

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 02, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »

If the hallway would be bright enough it would be a Grama on a Psik Reisha D'Lo Nicha Lei, which is at worst a double-Dirabanan, which is permissible B'Makom Mitzvah. According to some, it could be Muttar LeChatchilla. A dark hallway is worse since it's Neicha Lei. In that theoretical situation, is there a way to install a nightlight into the hallway to make it Lo Nicha?