Topic Wiki

www.hotelsnearshuls.com
www.shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com
www.reservekosher.com/listing-great,-kosher-hotel-in-piscataway,-nj-1488.html
www.godaven.com

Halachic info
http://www.star-k.org/articles/kashrus-kurrents/501/the-travelers-halachic-guide-to-hotels/
www.yutorah.org/togo/sukkot/articles/sukkot_to-go_-_5770_rabbi_flug.pdf
www.crcweb.org/ask_rav/shabbosinhotel.php

Dan's AC sensor override (VIP mode) instructions 
Most hotels in Hawaii have an Inncom thermostat. 
To enter VIP mode:
-While you are holding "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
-Then release "display"
You still can't open/close the balcony, (It still displays if the balcony is open or closed, but it lets the AC run while the balcony is open.)
 but the AC will run if you leave it open and you won't be trapped in your room.  Plus you can also set the AC to lower temps in VIP mode.

Ideas to enter hotel rooms with electronic locks
-Many like to just tape down the latch hole to ensure easy access  (simplest way is to tape the key card over the hole)
-some will just stuff the hole with tissues (you run the risk of it slipping out)
-on cruises, and some hotels, you can use one of those thin refrigerator magnets, put it on the door jamb to cover the hole where the door latch goes.
-others rely on the poskim who allow you to ask a goy (see above)
-exterior portable lock http://www.thexlock.com/
and then there's the best one yet
-Haven't tried it at a hotel but on a cruise I tied a gartel to the inside door handle and left a little sticking out the bottom of the door. I just had to pull the gartel and the door opened. :)

Packing List
challah (4x)                                                        paper plates                             large mixing bowl
wine/grape juice (3x)                                         paper cups                               plastic disposable containers
Plastic silver kiddush cup                                    silver pasticware                      BAGGIES, 3 sizes, tons
neirois (Fri night + Motzei shabbos-2x)              tablecloth (or white towels)     Israeli small/large baggies
matches                                                             white napkins                           tape
empty cans (upside down) as safe holders        shnaps plastic cups                  rope
besomim (cinnamon/cloves)                               shnaps bottle                       timer(s)
havdollah ner (or 2 shabbos ones)                    negel vasser cup                     3prong-to-2prong plug adapters (for timers)
bentchers/zmirois                                              sharp pareve knife                shabbos tissues
siddurs                                                               cutting mat
tinfoil                                                                  sharp fleishig knife

« Last edited by MarkR on June 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

Author Topic: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread  (Read 198110 times)

Online av83

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread
« Reply #740 on: May 30, 2022, 02:41:38 PM »
definition?
Nirbater, Skver, Volove or similar

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #741 on: June 26, 2022, 09:34:59 PM »
Has anyone considered self cleaning a hotel oven i.e. residence inn?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 26, 2022, 10:29:50 PM »
most don't have self clean but I have done it. Also love when they have the old fashioned exposed electric coil burners.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 27, 2022, 02:03:40 PM »
I've done it at an Airbnb-type place. The owner said we ruined the racks.  We offered to pay, but she said she'd just save the racks for us in case we came back (we did).
44/50, 46/63

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2022, 02:00:33 PM »
Is there a way to check how many rooms are available (for points, or in general) at a Hyatt hotel?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Klotzkop

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 05, 2022, 08:03:28 AM »
Was it reported here already?, finally there is a brand new Hampton Inn right in the heart of Monticello (next to the Shoprite) definitely a great thing for stay during the week, but is there a way to stay there Shabos? How can I enter front automatic door? Room door?  Is there a shul in walking distance? Etc.

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 05, 2022, 08:31:01 AM »
Was it reported here already?, finally there is a brand new Hampton Inn right in the heart of Monticello (next to the Shoprite) definitely a great thing for stay during the week, but is there a way to stay there Shabos? How can I enter front automatic door? Room door?  Is there a shul in walking distance? Etc.
I actually stayed there last week. Too bad I didn't check out all the details. Room doors are all digital (as is expected) it's a fairly small hotel. It's basically in the same parking lot as ShopRite

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 06, 2022, 10:57:42 PM »
closest shul is Monticello Shul 1.5 mi. Not sure about techum issues @aygart Shared route
From 29 Golden Ridge Rd to 50 Nelshore Dr via NY-42 N and Rock Ridge Ave.

33 min (1.6 mi)

1. Head west toward Thompson Square
2. Turn left onto Thompson Square
3. Turn left onto NY-42 N
4. Turn left onto Rock Ridge Ave
5. Turn right onto Vicki Ln
6. Turn left onto Nelshore Dr
7. Arrive at location: 50 Nelshore Dr
To see this route visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/d2sRYU8NPp349NDCA

Offline Yoel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Gold Medallion, Premier Platinum
« Reply #748 on: December 04, 2022, 12:30:34 PM »
going to doubletree in lancaster for Shabbos chanukah, we're 9 men. need 1 more for minyan. anyone else going?

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 16, 2023, 10:56:11 PM »
Any Mid Winter plans?

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #750 on: January 17, 2023, 12:08:09 AM »
Any Mid Winter plans?

details on some shaboos-away-at-hotel options in the poconos are at https://yeshivamidwinter.com/

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 23, 2023, 10:55:24 AM »
Spending Shabbos in hotel in country that requires you to carry passport, hope to daven/eat with Chabad.  No eiruv.  What to do?
44/50, 46/63

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #752 on: July 23, 2023, 10:56:49 AM »
Spending Shabbos in hotel in country that requires you to carry passport, hope to daven/eat with Chabad.  No eiruv.  What to do?
What does the Chabad say?
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #753 on: July 23, 2023, 11:32:15 AM »
What country?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 23, 2023, 12:27:17 PM »
What country?
Yeah, some countries claim that you must have a passport at all times but in reality you don't. Israel used to have this rule. Also, you may also just claim that you are an innocent tourist and didn't know that that was the rule.

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #755 on: July 23, 2023, 12:29:47 PM »
Yeah, some countries claim that you must have a passport at all times but in reality you don't. Israel used to have this rule. Also, you may also just claim that you are an innocent tourist and didn't know that that was the rule.
That's what I meant by:
What does the Chabad say?
or even if they are in general more makpid, perhaps they have an arrangement of some sort.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #756 on: July 24, 2023, 01:01:00 AM »
They still have this rule. If you are unlucky enough to be stopped by the police when you don't have one, you may be in trouble.
I was once stopped at a train station due to suspicious activity according to a bystander (I got turned around and walked out the wrong way, then I went back through the station and went out the other side - apparently that's enough). I was between passports - had just gotten a new one and the Mir office had it (to get a new visa). It took me at least twenty minutes before they were willing to let me go. I had to call the Mir for help - luckily someone answered, and they told the officers I was a student there for ten years and what my new pport number was. Also B"H, the visa had already been issued (out of the 70 passports they had, for "some reason," mine was the only one approved and everyone else needed to wait another six weeks), so I showed up in their system.
It was not a pleasany experience, I'll tell you that. They were within a hair of taking me down to the station.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 24, 2023, 03:12:14 AM »
They still have this rule. If you are unlucky enough to be stopped by the police when you don't have one, you may be in trouble.
I was once stopped at a train station due to suspicious activity according to a bystander (I got turned around and walked out the wrong way, then I went back through the station and went out the other side - apparently that's enough). I was between passports - had just gotten a new one and the Mir office had it (to get a new visa). It took me at least twenty minutes before they were willing to let me go. I had to call the Mir for help - luckily someone answered, and they told the officers I was a student there for ten years and what my new pport number was. Also B"H, the visa had already been issued (out of the 70 passports they had, for "some reason," mine was the only one approved and everyone else needed to wait another six weeks), so I showed up in their system.
It was not a pleasany experience, I'll tell you that. They were within a hair of taking me down to the station.
I heard that you no longer have to have it on your person. Are you sure they didn't just want some form of ID and you didn't have one?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #758 on: July 24, 2023, 04:02:18 AM »
I heard that you no longer have to have it on your person. Are you sure they didn't just want some form of ID and you didn't have one?
I had plenty of ID, but it wasn't a passport so they didn't accept it.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 24, 2023, 08:56:09 AM »
Passport/other ID, same difference on Shabbos.  Leaving a copy with the hotel might be an option.
44/50, 46/63