Topic Wiki

www.hotelsnearshuls.com
www.shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com
www.reservekosher.com/listing-great,-kosher-hotel-in-piscataway,-nj-1488.html
www.godaven.com

Halachic info
http://www.star-k.org/articles/kashrus-kurrents/501/the-travelers-halachic-guide-to-hotels/
www.yutorah.org/togo/sukkot/articles/sukkot_to-go_-_5770_rabbi_flug.pdf
www.crcweb.org/ask_rav/shabbosinhotel.php

Dan's AC sensor override (VIP mode) instructions 
Most hotels in Hawaii have an Inncom thermostat. 
To enter VIP mode:
-While you are holding "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
-Then release "display"
You still can't open/close the balcony, (It still displays if the balcony is open or closed, but it lets the AC run while the balcony is open.)
 but the AC will run if you leave it open and you won't be trapped in your room.  Plus you can also set the AC to lower temps in VIP mode.

Ideas to enter hotel rooms with electronic locks
-Many like to just tape down the latch hole to ensure easy access  (simplest way is to tape the key card over the hole)
-some will just stuff the hole with tissues (you run the risk of it slipping out)
-on cruises, and some hotels, you can use one of those thin refrigerator magnets, put it on the door jamb to cover the hole where the door latch goes.
-others rely on the poskim who allow you to ask a goy (see above)
-exterior portable lock http://www.thexlock.com/
and then there's the best one yet
-Haven't tried it at a hotel but on a cruise I tied a gartel to the inside door handle and left a little sticking out the bottom of the door. I just had to pull the gartel and the door opened. :)

Packing List
challah (4x)                                                        paper plates                             large mixing bowl
wine/grape juice (3x)                                         paper cups                               plastic disposable containers
Plastic silver kiddush cup                                    silver pasticware                      BAGGIES, 3 sizes, tons
neirois (Fri night + Motzei shabbos-2x)              tablecloth (or white towels)     Israeli small/large baggies
matches                                                             white napkins                           tape
empty cans (upside down) as safe holders        shnaps plastic cups                  rope
besomim (cinnamon/cloves)                               shnaps bottle                       timer(s)
havdollah ner (or 2 shabbos ones)                    negel vasser cup                     3prong-to-2prong plug adapters (for timers)
bentchers/zmirois                                              sharp pareve knife                shabbos tissues
siddurs                                                               cutting mat
tinfoil                                                                  sharp fleishig knife

« Last edited by MarkR on June 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

Author Topic: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread  (Read 195359 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbos at a hotel master thread
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
Bonus points if you find my AC Balcony override instructions :)
muaui or kuaui?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Where did I post it? Could have been either.
But they have that same thermostat in the vast majority of hotels.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ganizzy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »
At a wedding a few years ago in michigan in the winter, the best western gave us the meeting room for free.
We were taking 15 -20 rooms the first night and about 10 for another 3 nights.
This was on top of matching a diff hotels room price.
If ur going with the whole family it pays to go to a place out of the usual circuit

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2013, 01:35:38 AM »
Wow great work!
+1
Thanks so much!

Offline Elchay

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
Currently in Westin Bayshore in vancouver.

Got a room on low floor but it seems that the lights in the stairwell go on brighter when you use stairs. Anyone know how to deal with this issue?

(the lights are on even before the sensor but they get brighter if you trigger them- i think that may make a halachic difference but not sure)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »

Got a room on low floor but it seems that the lights in the stairwell go on brighter when you use stairs. Anyone know how to deal with this issue?

(the lights are on even before the sensor but they get brighter if you trigger them- i think that may make a halachic difference but not sure)
Find another hotel? Any ground floor rooms or alternate staircases?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »

Did not have that issue when I was there. Perhaps there is another stair case?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »

A dimmer can be mutar lechtichala on shabbos, depends on the type of bulb (intensifying an electric current is not a problem, only if it intensifies a flame or closes additional circuits).

Either way if you don't need the light to get down the stairs it is פסיק רישא דלא ניחא ליה, which according to R Shlomo Zalman that electricity is derbanen is not a problem. The only problem is according to the chazon ish that electricity is deoriasa. AFAIK most people are not machmir.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »
A dimmer can be mutar lechtichala on shabbos, depends on the type of bulb (intensifying an electric current is not a problem, only if it intensifies a flame or closes additional circuits).

Either way if you don't need the light to get down the stairs it is פסיק רישא דלא ניחא ליה, which according to R Shlomo Zalman that electricity is derbanen is not a problem. The only problem is according to the chazon ish that electricity is deoriasa. AFAIK most people are not machmir.
if it enhances (ie: makes it easier to to go down) it may be nicha lei

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
I am in middle of planning larger family shabbos  at a hotel( payed with points) complete with a minyan and meeting room and will keep posting as I gather more info. Marriott (Courtyard, Fairfield, and Residence Inn) have been much more reasonable and allow outside food as long as you sign a liability waiver . Rates on meeting rooms at Marriott seem to run about $500 for Fri. afternoon through Motza'ai Shabbos ($300 for shabbos and $150 for Fri. +tax.). This is still a work in progress and will keep posting as it progresses
Booked. :D more details to follow. Anyone have any info on how or where to get a sefer torah for shabbos?

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2013, 11:44:26 PM »

Sorry to be mean, but halachos cannot be asked from so called I-Rabbis on public anonymous forums. Call the Monsey halacha line @ 845.Halacha. Or ask your Rov.

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2013, 12:43:21 AM »
Sorry to be mean, but halachos cannot be asked from so called I-Rabbis on public anonymous forums. Call the Monsey halacha line @ 845.Halacha. Or ask your Rov.
or start with the wiki

Offline Elchay

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »
Did not have that issue when I was there. Perhaps there is another stair case?

There is alternate staircase but leads only to basement. There are two parts to the hotel im in the tower maybe the other building doesnt have an issue. Will disscuss with hotel tom morn.

Disscussed with LOR certainly better to try and work something out.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2013, 02:39:07 AM »
Or check in the Shulchan Aruch and Poskim.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »
Or check in the Shulchan Aruch and Poskim.
though I do agree with you 100% - people should be more knowledgeable in halacha- many of these new shailos are only discussed by contemporary poskim which always need to be double checked.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
how can you tell him that without knowing the metzius? who said its even a dimmer? its possible (probably even more likely) that some bulbs are on the whole time and other bulbs turn on when motion is detected

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »
how can you tell him that without knowing the metzius? who said its even a dimmer? its possible (probably even more likely) that some bulbs are on the whole time and other bulbs turn on when motion is detected
Huh? I said it can be.

Offline Elchay

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2013, 02:02:21 AM »
Just to clarify.

I was not planning on getting a psak haklacha from the forum. Just asking for some help in dealing with this issue which I assume comes up. I also find it helpful to know the different nuances of the metzius and what the possible halachic ramifications of that metzius may be before asking a shayla. But that's just me. I assumed that was at least part of the point of this thread.

At any rate spoke to a manager whowas very helpful and understanding and had engineering disable sensors.   

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2013, 02:47:03 AM »
At any rate spoke to a manager whowas very helpful and understanding and had engineering disable sensors.

I have never encountered a problem with hotel staff accommodating requests for shabbos.