Topic Wiki

www.hotelsnearshuls.com
www.shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com
www.reservekosher.com/listing-great,-kosher-hotel-in-piscataway,-nj-1488.html
www.godaven.com

Halachic info
http://www.star-k.org/articles/kashrus-kurrents/501/the-travelers-halachic-guide-to-hotels/
www.yutorah.org/togo/sukkot/articles/sukkot_to-go_-_5770_rabbi_flug.pdf
www.crcweb.org/ask_rav/shabbosinhotel.php

Dan's AC sensor override (VIP mode) instructions 
Most hotels in Hawaii have an Inncom thermostat. 
To enter VIP mode:
-While you are holding "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
-Then release "display"
You still can't open/close the balcony, (It still displays if the balcony is open or closed, but it lets the AC run while the balcony is open.)
 but the AC will run if you leave it open and you won't be trapped in your room.  Plus you can also set the AC to lower temps in VIP mode.

Ideas to enter hotel rooms with electronic locks
-Many like to just tape down the latch hole to ensure easy access  (simplest way is to tape the key card over the hole)
-some will just stuff the hole with tissues (you run the risk of it slipping out)
-on cruises, and some hotels, you can use one of those thin refrigerator magnets, put it on the door jamb to cover the hole where the door latch goes.
-others rely on the poskim who allow you to ask a goy (see above)
-exterior portable lock http://www.thexlock.com/
and then there's the best one yet
-Haven't tried it at a hotel but on a cruise I tied a gartel to the inside door handle and left a little sticking out the bottom of the door. I just had to pull the gartel and the door opened. :)

Packing List
challah (4x)                                                        paper plates                             large mixing bowl
wine/grape juice (3x)                                         paper cups                               plastic disposable containers
Plastic silver kiddush cup                                    silver pasticware                      BAGGIES, 3 sizes, tons
neirois (Fri night + Motzei shabbos-2x)              tablecloth (or white towels)     Israeli small/large baggies
matches                                                             white napkins                           tape
empty cans (upside down) as safe holders        shnaps plastic cups                  rope
besomim (cinnamon/cloves)                               shnaps bottle                       timer(s)
havdollah ner (or 2 shabbos ones)                    negel vasser cup                     3prong-to-2prong plug adapters (for timers)
bentchers/zmirois                                              sharp pareve knife                shabbos tissues
siddurs                                                               cutting mat
tinfoil                                                                  sharp fleishig knife

« Last edited by MarkR on June 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

Author Topic: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread  (Read 195368 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Shabbos at a hotel master thread
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
a fire?
The glass shattered from the heat....
not a fire, but discolored the wood

Online A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
I have reservations for this shabbas at the hyatt Long Island. How was the hyatt house Parsippany? Should I go there instead?

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »
I have reservations for this shabbas at the hyatt Long Island. How was the hyatt house Parsippany? Should I go there instead?

Hyatt Morristown is really nice and popular for shabbos.

Online A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »
Hyatt Morristown is really nice and popular for shabbos.

I don't want soo popular..

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »
Makeshift device for keeping AC on
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »
Makeshift device for keeping AC on
Why not just ask them to override it for you?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2013, 07:55:44 AM »
Before any1 decides to spend shab in a hotel, please read this review I found on trip advisor, for the Embassy Suites in Parsippany NJ.

My sons wedding was nearby and 50+ rooms were occupied by our wedding guests. All had complaints. It was very upsetting that after choosing an Embassy Suits because of the quality of service we have come to expect we were so very disappointed. The hotel itself was quite beautiful and would have been the perfect setting however, we learned very quickly that was as far as it went. Apparently a large group occupies this hotel each weekend for religious purposes. The problem is, they were rude, loud, up & wondering the atrium all night long. Children unsupervised running and playing in the atrium at 3 & 4 in the morning. Knocking & peering in on suite windows. Could not use the pool or gym as it was over run by unsupervised young children. They were taking food from the morning buffet and placing it in bags I assume take home or back to there rooms. But the biggest problem was that management was clearly not willing or able to control this situation. I worked for Marriott for several years and was appalled by how the immature staff and management handled several guest issues involving our party. I will forward a detailed letter to the corporate offices about this experience.

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2013, 08:31:56 AM »
Is there any hotel that has a Sukkah? Wanna go on chol hamoed an overnight trip!!

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2013, 08:40:18 AM »
Before any1 decides to spend shab in a hotel, please read this review I found on trip advisor, for the Embassy Suites in Parsippany NJ.

My sons wedding was nearby and 50+ rooms were occupied by our wedding guests. All had complaints. It was very upsetting that after choosing an Embassy Suits because of the quality of service we have come to expect we were so very disappointed. The hotel itself was quite beautiful and would have been the perfect setting however, we learned very quickly that was as far as it went. Apparently a large group occupies this hotel each weekend for religious purposes. The problem is, they were rude, loud, up & wondering the atrium all night long. Children unsupervised running and playing in the atrium at 3 & 4 in the morning. Knocking & peering in on suite windows. Could not use the pool or gym as it was over run by unsupervised young children. They were taking food from the morning buffet and placing it in bags I assume take home or back to there rooms. But the biggest problem was that management was clearly not willing or able to control this situation. I worked for Marriott for several years and was appalled by how the immature staff and management handled several guest issues involving our party. I will forward a detailed letter to the corporate offices about this experience.
there are plenty of these reviews on TA.Has zero to to do with spending Shabbos at a hotel, as it happens during the week also, and as well with non-Jews.(ever spent time at a hotel with a large group of Asian teenagers?  same issues-BTDT) It ahs to do with being a mentch and making a kiddush hashem wherever your travels take you. I have spent Shabbos at a hotel a few times and managed to behave myself even before reading these reviews on TA. If you think you'll have an issue don't go. It sad that you need reviews from TA to explain to you how to behave at a hotel.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
Is there any hotel that has a Sukkah? Wanna go on chol hamoed an overnight trip!!
Chabad Niagara (I'd assume with the completion of the new chabad center it will be located there as opposed to the hotel)

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
Chabad Niagara (I'd assume with the completion of the new chabad center it will be located there as opposed to the hotel)
Thanks, i forgot to mention im in Brooklyn, want something 2-3 hours away max!

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »

A few weeks ago I spent a shabbos in Embassy Suites Parsippany we were told that everyone should keep there kids in after 10, but in fact till after 12 there where big groups of kids from a wedding group (non Jews) that where running around in the hallways making loud noise. It doesn't have to do with Jews it's just with group's people forget about others.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:29:18 PM by Tzadik Nistar »

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2013, 12:22:17 PM »
Why not just ask them to override it for you?

This particular hotel refused to give us sheets for the bed, or vacuum the rug. Not very accommodating. Guess which country?

It was also to keep the room cold during the weekday as well.
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline smbalt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbos at a hotel master thread -- Sensors and Overrides
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
I just wanted to share my shabbos experience with sensors and overrides.  We were in a hotel in Portugal and realized that most of the hallway lights were triggered by motion sensors.  We thought we would be stuck in the (beautiful) hotel room all shabbos.  We spoke with the manager, explained the situation.  While they could not turn off the sensor, they were able to cover it so that it did not trigger.  They covered the sensors with masking tape over shabbos.  This can be helpful for times that you are told that they cannot help you due to hard wiring.  Do a walkthrough before making your requests so you know exactly where the sensors are and how many need covering.

(In our case, the main light was always on and it only slightly inconvenienced the 2 rooms past ours with not as bright lighting in the hallway due to covered sensors.)

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »
I am in middle of planning larger family shabbos  at a hotel( payed with points) complete with a minyan and meeting room and will keep posting as I gather more info. As i have posted elsewhere on the forums, the NJ sheratons (edison, eatontown, meadowlands, and AC) wouldnt let me bring outside food and insisted that I use a kosher caterer through their caterer for all food in public areas (ie:meeting rooms) of the hotel which will run $1500 (union wait staff required) before food. Marriott (Courtyard, Fairfield, and Residence Inn) have been much more reasonable and allow outside food as long as you sign a liability waiver . Rates on meeting rooms at Marriott seem to run about $500 for Fri. afternoon through Motza'ai Shabbos ($300 for shabbos and $150 for Fri. +tax.). This is still a work in progress and will keep posting as it progresses
Booked. :D more details to follow. Anyone have any info on how or where to get a sefer torah for shabbos?
would like to have a few extra than a minyan (shabbos parshas lech lecha). anyone interested can PM me.

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
I just want to share my experience with spending Shabbos at the Courtyard Marriott in Red Bank NJ.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrrb-courtyard-lincroft-red-bank/

The hotel is located right off exit 109 on the GSP. (about a half hour from Lakewood and 50 min from Brooklyn).

We booked 12 rooms plus a conference room. They charged 140 a night plus 500 for the conference room. Davening and meals we held in the conference room. It was large enough to fit about 50 ppl. They had counters with plugs so we were able to set up crockpots and hotplates. They also had a large fridge, which was a big plus.

The rooms were nice and the beds were really comfy. One issue was that they would not put a cot in the rooms (only in a suite) due to fire hazard. So we had two suites which had a cot PLUS a pullout couch. For the locks, we taped the locks open. (This means that the door was open the whole shabbos. We locked our valuables in our cars.)

The lower floor rooms each had a door to a really nice courtyard in the middle of the hotel. It was totally enclosed so no eruv needed! Great plus for the kids! There was also a small but comfy lobby with a few couches that we used.

The hotel was very accommodating and let us do what we want, in terms of setting up our own food etc.
I would recommend this hotel for a small gathering (about up to 50 ppl).

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »
I just want to share my experience with spending Shabbos at the Courtyard Marriott in Red Bank NJ.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrrb-courtyard-lincroft-red-bank/

The hotel is located right off exit 109 on the GSP. (about a half hour from Lakewood and 50 min from Brooklyn).

We booked 12 rooms plus a conference room. They charged 140 a night plus 500 for the conference room. Davening and meals we held in the conference room. It was large enough to fit about 50 ppl. They had counters with plugs so we were able to set up crockpots and hotplates. They also had a large fridge, which was a big plus.

The rooms were nice and the beds were really comfy. One issue was that they would not put a cot in the rooms (only in a suite) due to fire hazard. So we had two suites which had a cot PLUS a pullout couch. For the locks, we taped the locks open. (This means that the door was open the whole shabbos. We locked our valuables in our cars.)

The lower ground floor rooms each had a door to a really nice courtyard in the middle of the hotel.  It was totally enclosed so no eruv needed! Great plus for the kids! There was also a small but comfy lobby with a few couches that we used.

The hotel was very accommodating and let us do what we want, in terms of setting up our own food etc.
I would recommend this hotel for a small gathering (about up to 50 ppl).
I am in middle of planning larger family shabbos  at a hotel( payed with points) complete with a minyan and meeting room and will keep posting as I gather more info. As i have posted elsewhere on the forums, the NJ sheratons (edison, eatontown, meadowlands, and AC) wouldnt let me bring outside food and insisted that I use a kosher caterer through their caterer for all food in public areas (ie:meeting rooms) of the hotel which will run $1500 (union wait staff required) before food. Marriott (Courtyard, Fairfield, and Residence Inn) have been much more reasonable and allow outside food as long as you sign a liability waiver . Rates on meeting rooms at Marriott seem to run about $500 for Fri. afternoon through Motza'ai Shabbos ($300 for shabbos and $150 for Fri. +tax.). This is still a work in progress and will keep posting as it progresses
are u gonna keep me guessing?
1. we didnt have 12 rooms, we had 10
2. the conference room wasnt $500 it was $450
3. the fridge was mine. I shlepped it from my house. (shlepped the mechitzas also)
4. we only had one suite.
5. the upper floor rooms each have balcony
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:39:58 PM by moko »

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2013, 12:01:21 AM »
are u gonna keep me guessing?
1. we didnt have 12 rooms, we had 10
2. the conference room wasnt $500 it was $450
3. the fridge was mine. I shlepped it from my house. (shlepped the mechitzas also)
4. we only had one suite.
5. the upper floor rooms each have balcony

1. I didnt count each room- gave an estimate based on the people i though was there
2. I didnt pay so how could i know exact- i was basing it on what i heard
3. I didnt shlep it so I didnt know
4. I thought I saw two suites- sorry about that
5. I was just saying that the lower floors had a great plus, the courtyard.
 As for the mechitza, you can hardly call three shower curtains a shlep ::)

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2013, 12:16:45 AM »
1. I didnt count each room- gave an estimate based on the people i though was there
2. I didnt pay so how could i know exact- i was basing it on what i heard
3. I didnt shlep it so I didnt know
4. I thought I saw two suites- sorry about that
5. I was just saying that the lower floors had a great plus, the courtyard.
As for the mechitza, you can hardly call three shower curtains a shlep ::)
the coat racks though, were quite heavy

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2013, 12:19:41 AM »
the coat racks though, were quite heavy

I though those were the hotels! Apparently not, so thank you!