Topic Wiki

www.hotelsnearshuls.com
www.shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com
www.reservekosher.com/listing-great,-kosher-hotel-in-piscataway,-nj-1488.html
www.godaven.com

Halachic info
http://www.star-k.org/articles/kashrus-kurrents/501/the-travelers-halachic-guide-to-hotels/
www.yutorah.org/togo/sukkot/articles/sukkot_to-go_-_5770_rabbi_flug.pdf
www.crcweb.org/ask_rav/shabbosinhotel.php

Dan's AC sensor override (VIP mode) instructions 
Most hotels in Hawaii have an Inncom thermostat. 
To enter VIP mode:
-While you are holding "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
-Then release "display"
You still can't open/close the balcony, (It still displays if the balcony is open or closed, but it lets the AC run while the balcony is open.)
 but the AC will run if you leave it open and you won't be trapped in your room.  Plus you can also set the AC to lower temps in VIP mode.

Ideas to enter hotel rooms with electronic locks
-Many like to just tape down the latch hole to ensure easy access  (simplest way is to tape the key card over the hole)
-some will just stuff the hole with tissues (you run the risk of it slipping out)
-on cruises, and some hotels, you can use one of those thin refrigerator magnets, put it on the door jamb to cover the hole where the door latch goes.
-others rely on the poskim who allow you to ask a goy (see above)
-exterior portable lock http://www.thexlock.com/
and then there's the best one yet
-Haven't tried it at a hotel but on a cruise I tied a gartel to the inside door handle and left a little sticking out the bottom of the door. I just had to pull the gartel and the door opened. :)

Packing List
challah (4x)                                                        paper plates                             large mixing bowl
wine/grape juice (3x)                                         paper cups                               plastic disposable containers
Plastic silver kiddush cup                                    silver pasticware                      BAGGIES, 3 sizes, tons
neirois (Fri night + Motzei shabbos-2x)              tablecloth (or white towels)     Israeli small/large baggies
matches                                                             white napkins                           tape
empty cans (upside down) as safe holders        shnaps plastic cups                  rope
besomim (cinnamon/cloves)                               shnaps bottle                       timer(s)
havdollah ner (or 2 shabbos ones)                    negel vasser cup                     3prong-to-2prong plug adapters (for timers)
bentchers/zmirois                                              sharp pareve knife                shabbos tissues
siddurs                                                               cutting mat
tinfoil                                                                  sharp fleishig knife

« Last edited by MarkR on June 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

Author Topic: Shabbos at A Hotel Master Thread  (Read 195371 times)

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbos at a hotel master thread
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »
Any ideas for a hotel for  a larger family gathering of about 100 pple including kids? We don't mind going with a caterer, but would like gathering spaces that would not be crowded with other guests, etc. A small hotel where we would be almost all the rooms would be ideal.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
Any ideas for a hotel for  a larger family gathering of about 100 pple including kids? We don't mind going with a caterer, but would like gathering spaces that would not be crowded with other guests, etc. A small hotel where we would be almost all the rooms would be ideal.
Desired continent would be helpful
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
United States. Tri-state area. Sorry

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
I am in middle of planning larger family shabbos  at a hotel( payed with points) complete with a minyan and meeting room and will keep posting as I gather more info. As i have posted elsewhere on the forums, the NJ sheratons (edison, eatontown, meadowlands, and AC) wouldnt let me bring outside food and insisted that I use a kosher caterer through their caterer for all food in public areas (ie:meeting rooms) of the hotel which will run $1500 (union wait staff required) before food. Marriott (Courtyard, Fairfield, and Residence Inn) have been much more reasonable and allow outside food as long as you sign a liability waiver . Rates on meeting rooms at Marriott seem to run about $500 for Fri. afternoon through Motza'ai Shabbos ($300 for shabbos and $150 for Fri. +tax.). This is still a work in progress and will keep posting as it progresses
As has been posted above, our shabbos went off without a hitch! :)

After quite a search, we settled with the Courtyard Lincroft Red Bank. The staff from the Northeast sales staff (up in Boston) who to care of the event booking to the GM and local event manager who took care of the local details to the front desk staff whom arranged room placement and last but not least, the maintenance staff who took care of setup and cleanup, all the individuals we dealt with went out of their way to accommodate us.
We arrived at the hotel Friday afternoon around 1pm and immediately they took care of check in, though check in isn't until 3pm. most of our 10 rooms were placed on the ground level though a few were placed on the 2nd floor due to personal preferences and a complementary suite upgrade. (We davened shacharis sunday morning in the suite living room)

The hotel itself is very conducive for a nice shabbos getaway due, in no small part, to the fantastic courtyard, and it isn't a very large hotel (just 3 floors and 140 rooms). The hotel is built around the courtyard which is therefore completely surrounded and needs no eruv to carry within it or across to your room. All the ground floor rooms have a small patio with 2 chairs and a small table which opens onto the larger hotel garden - or parking lot if you get a lot facing room  >:(, none of us did though. (though some of our rooms had larger personal patios - short stone wall around it- which jutted out into the courtyard with no balcony above or overhanging trees- for the DDF'r looking for a sukka friendly hotel room) All of the upper floor rooms all had balconies overlooking the garden. The hotel was renovated about 6 months ago with a fresh and modern decor and looks surprisingly like the pictures you find on the website.

The conference room (1 of 2) is 650 sqf. with a coat closet and countertop. The room comfortably was setup for 30 ppl. and an additional 15 in the "shul" section (I would estimate that you could setup for 50-60 ppl comfortably with "U" shaped setup, if you use the whole room). I brought a fridge with me, as the hotel was unable to provide one (though they offered to arrange one with a rental company which I declined) We borrowed coat racks from a gemach and hung curtains from them as a mechitza. The hotel officially allowed us to setup hot plates and a crockpot on the (marble) countertop in the room.(though I made sure to get that in writing from the sales staff)

Cost: The conference room was $300 for Shabbos and $150 for Friday- essentially ours from 3 pm on Friday to 11 pm for $450.
The rooms cost $139 reg. rate or $119 Marriott rewards offer rate (available for rewards members- i think) or 15000 points per night. We reserved each room for 2 nights- all points. (70k + free night for each person- everyone walked away with enough for next year's  :D)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:24:04 PM by moko »

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
Sounds like a great place, I need a meeting place to seat around 100 people. All the courtyards, suites, etc are smaller. Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:56:45 AM by flyingace »

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
Sounds like a great place, I need a meeting place to seat around 100 people. All the courtyards, suites, etc are smaller. Any other ideas?
It seems that many NJ Sheratons could accommodate you. I received a quote for a conference room to seat 30 for $1500, I assume it would be more for a crowd your size. If you settle for the Sheraton in Edison, NJ , the SPG weekend rate is only 3000 points per room and 8k (6k weekend?) for a suite- though they told me that all the suites are on the 11th floor club level  :o good luck with the stairs.
I think they do have shabbos locks on the lower level rooms.

Offline dudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2013, 01:34:43 AM »
Im planning on surprising my wife with a Shabbos in a hotel in one of the next few Shabboss. I'm in Lakewood and I have no clue where to start no used to this whole situation just moved here from Israel. Is there any place that is just kosher and all good? Any help would be really appreciated

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
I'm looking for an SPG hotel in the tri state area to make a shabbos with about 30-40 ppl. Some of us have points so we would be using them. The rest would pay. The main thing we need is a conference room. Any place we can get for cheap?

Offline shnoz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 26, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
Spent shabbos at La Quinta inn Somerset, NJ. all the rooms were renovated last yr & are very nice, especially at the price of $65 a room per night. the rooms had regular keys in addition 2 electric, but maintenence had to around b4 shabbos disabling the electric locks. sign at the front desk says some rooms have sensors 4 heat but we had 12 rooms & none were a problem. they charged us $350 per day 4 a conference room (700 4 shabbos) plus $100 cleaning fee, and it had a refrigarator in it which was incredibly convenient & they let us use the freezer & stovetop in the hotel kitchen. we rented the hotel pool mt"s for 2 hrs  was $150. got sefer torah from misaskim(brklyn). Overall would strongly recommend the hotel 4 an affordable shabbaton.

Offline Flatbush

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
Im planning on surprising my wife with a Shabbos in a hotel in one of the next few Shabboss. I'm in Lakewood and I have no clue where to start no used to this whole situation just moved here from Israel. Is there any place that is just kosher and all good? Any help would be really appreciated
Did you find anything? I m in the same position?

Offline dudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »
Did you find anything? I m in the same position?
No nothing I gave up in the mean time

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »
We booked 12 rooms plus a conference room. They charged 140 a night plus 500 for the conference room. Davening and meals we held in the conference room. It was large enough to fit about 50 ppl. They had counters with plugs so we were able to set up crockpots and hotplates. They also had a large fridge, which was a big plus.

How did you get around basar she'isaleh min ha'ayin?

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2014, 02:07:43 PM »
How did you get around basar she'isaleh min ha'ayin?
padlocks

Offline rdg770

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »
http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-TheTravelersHalachicGuidetoHotels.htm

It says in the above link that you can leave a card-key by the front desk and ask them to open the door for them because it's shvus d'shvus being that it's for oneg shabbos.
Should you first check if there is a room with a regular let or can you do this l'chatlicha.
Also, did anyone have problems having the front desk doing this.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2014, 11:08:25 AM »
http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-TheTravelersHalachicGuidetoHotels.htm

It says in the above link that you can leave a card-key by the front desk and ask them to open the door for them because it's shvus d'shvus being that it's for oneg shabbos.
Should you first check if there is a room with a regular let or can you do this l'chatlicha.
Also, did anyone have problems having the front desk doing this.

I believe that's relying on the shitos that electricity is derbanen.

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »

I believe that's relying on the shitos that electricity is derbanen.

Isn't that the majority opinion?

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: shabbos issues in hotels and their solutions
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »
How do you find out if your hotel has non-electric doors to enter the hotel and regular keys to get into your room?

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »
How do you find out if your hotel has non-electric doors to enter the hotel and regular keys to get into your room?

If there is a restaurant attached to the lobby it will almost always have a regular door from the outside into the restaurant and from there to the lobby.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:09 PM »
If there is a restaurant attached to the lobby it will almost always have a regular door from the outside into the restaurant and from there to the lobby.
Good to know. Otherwise, assume it's electric? What about rooms? I guess I could always just call to find out.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2014, 11:21:51 PM »
Any modern hotel will have electric keys.
Just tape the door open and leave your stuff in the safe
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.