Author Topic: Delta Amex vs Amex SPG  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Newbie123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Delta Amex vs Amex SPG
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:24:39 PM »
Hi. Complete newbie here. Sorry for all the questions.
I have the Amex SPG and do not really know or use the benefits of the card. I fly Delta 2 to 3 times a year and keep getting CC offers from them. I know Delta and Starwood have crossover rewards. Does it pay to have both cards? Are SPG rewards/points  only good for hotels? Would you recommend the Delta card over the SPG? If yes, is the Delta Platinum worth the extra $100.00 yearly fee over the Delta Gold? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Amex vs Amex SPG
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:28:13 PM »
Hi. Complete newbie here. Sorry for all the questions.
I have the Amex SPG and do not really know or use the benefits of the card. I fly Delta 2 to 3 times a year and keep getting CC offers from them. I know Delta and Starwood have crossover rewards. Does it pay to have both cards? Are SPG rewards/points  only good for hotels? Would you recommend the Delta card over the SPG? If yes, is the Delta Platinum worth the extra $100.00 yearly fee over the Delta Gold? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome.
Basic answer is unless you are doing a lot of spending and status is important to you- go with SPG all the way. points are worth more because much more versatile. Can be used at hotels as you know and they transfer to airlines at a bonus! every 20,000 points you transfer becomes 25,000 miles. And now that they can be combined with Marriott you have more hotel options and even some hotel+flight redemptions.
Read a bit around here to see what you can do. or google and some websites explain it simply

Offline Shoeless

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:31:16 AM »
Hey Newbie-
you've come to the right place. ;D

there are some great resources you can find by just googling "best way to maximize SPG" or something like that. Most of us have a lot of different cards, either to get the sign up bonuses or to maximize the amount of points/miles you get using the card in different type of places. In my opinion, and im sure there are other opinions out there, in your case the SPG is the way to go!

good luck and just keep reading!

Offline Newbie123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »
Thank you both. Sticking with SPG. :)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
You can have crossover rewards without Delta CC as long as you have a delta frequent flyer account

Offline Shoeless

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
Thank you both. Sticking with SPG. :)

no problem, after you do some reading if you have any questions, feel free to send me a pm