Topic Wiki

Cost
Free

Supported devices
WhatsApp is stopping support for all Symbian, Nokia S40, BlackBerry phones. Phones running older versions of Windows, Android and iOS operating systems will also not be supported.
The shutdown of the service for these devices and platforms will happen at the end of the year, December 31, 2016. https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/20951556

Android users still on Android 2.1 and Android 2.2 are no longer be able to use WhatsApp.

Windows phone users will have to upgrade beyond Windows Phone 7.1 to continue enjoying services. iOS 6 are not be supported, which  affects those Apple users who are holding back from updating the OS.

The devices that WhatsApp will no longer be supported are: Nokia Asha 201, Nokia Asha 205 Chat Edition, Nokia Asha 206, Nokia Asha 208, Nokia Asha 210, Nokia Asha 300, Nokia Asha 301, Nokia Asha 302, Nokia Asha 303, Nokia Asha 305, Nokia Asha 306, Nokia Asha 308, Nokia Asha 309, Nokia Asha 310, Nokia Asha 311, Nokia Asha 515, Nokia Asha 500, Nokia Asha 501, Nokia Asha 502, Nokia Asha 503, Nokia Asha 230, Nokia C3-00, Nokia C3-01, Nokia X2-01, Nokia X3-02, Nokia X2-00, Nokia X7, Nokia E6, Nokia N8, Nokia C6, Nokia C7, Nokia E7, Nokia 500, Nokia 600, Nokia 603, Nokia 700, Nokia 701, Nokia 808, Nokia 5800, Nokia 5530, Nokia 5230, Nokia 5233, Nokia 5235, Nokia N97, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia X6, Nokia X5-01, Nokia C6, Nokia C5-03, Samsung i8910 Omnia HD, Sony Ericsson Satio, Sony Ericsson Vivaz, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, Nokia 5700, Nokia 6110, Nokia 6120, Nokia 6121, Nokia 6124, Nokia 6700, Nokia 6290, Nokia E51, Nokia E63, Nokia E66, Nokia E71, Nokia E90 Communicator, Nokia N76, Nokia N81, Nokia N81 8GB, Nokia N82, Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia 5320, Nokia 5630, Nokia 5730, Nokia 6210, Nokia 6220, Nokia 6650 fold, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 6720, Nokia 6730, Nokia 6760 Slide, Nokia 6790 Surge, Nokia C5, Nokia E52, Nokia E55, Nokia E72, Nokia E73, Nokia E75, Nokia E5, Nokia N78, Nokia N79, Nokia N85, Nokia N86 8MP, Nokia N96, Samsung GT-i8510, Samsung GT-I7110, Samsung SGH-L870, Samsung SGH-G810 and Samsung SGH-iNNN.

UPDATE: You won't be able to use WhatsApp on the following platforms for:

Nokia Symbian S60 after June 30, 2017
BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 after December 31, 2017
Windows Phone 8.0 and older after December 31, 2017
Nokia S40 after December 31, 2018
Android versions 2.3.7 and older after February 1, 2020

Personal info sharing
WhatsApp will share your phone number with Facebook, you have 30 days to opt-out. https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/general/26000016

Transferring Chat history
check out http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/21002842

Author Topic: Whatsapp App Discussion Thread  (Read 441225 times)

Offline Madreigis

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whatsapp App Discussion Thread
« Reply #2340 on: May 05, 2020, 12:25:39 AM »
I have whatsapp on a IPad Air 2 . Is there anyway how I can leave voice notes?

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: May 05, 2020, 12:29:18 AM »
Way of preventing spam / abuse?

When google.com takes you to the wrong place, people would abuse that so fast (unless you’re “savvy enough” to look at what every URL is before actually clicking through).
this abuse is totally not new. when you get an email inviting you to a zoom meeting and the URL is like zoommeeting.us that wud be a hacker waiting to jump ship into ur computer. (i watched a video of someone giving that example thats y i used it)
but im talking about the way all websites have links into words and here to use hyperlinks. not in a pirate-y way
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: May 12, 2020, 11:19:51 PM »
Writing this here just in case it helps somebody.
I had a problem that every time I transferred my WhatsApp from my old android to new one, my chats wouldn't come through.
Every time the process of restoring chats would get stuck at xx% (IIRC usually 24 or 40), and eventually it'd tell you that it couldn't restore your chats.
I tried every suggestion I can find on the web and from acquaintances, manual transfer of internal memory instead of through Drive, changing to biz acct, you name it - I tried it.
Of course much Googling has led me to discover that there were so many on the same boat who had the same issue, and WhatsApp couldn't care less.
Horrible company. I just wish the masses would transfer to Telegram. What a world of a difference. But the sheeple in this world have WA, so what can I do...
This went on for over a year. BH a few months ago I discovered a trick on some online tech forum, and lo and behold, some form of the trick worked.

I'm writing this from memory, and since it was several months ago I hope I get it right.

The point of the trick is not how you transfer, whether it be Google Drive or manually is irrelevant.
Firstly, to clear up memory I've since learnt that all those msgstore-xxxxx.crypt12 files are unnecessary, only the one without a date and (or?) the one with the most recent date in the file name. So feel free to delete those. I delete them all the time these days since they take up so much memory.

The crux of it goes like this: As the chats are "restoring", you want to be monitoring the storage usage of the the WA app. BUT you must be careful NOT to leave the app via the back button or more importantly not to reenter the app via touching the WA button on the main screens because that would interfere with the restoration (seemingly). Rather leave the app via the home button, then check the where the storage is holding, then reenter WhatsApp ONLY via the button that switches between recent apps.
Keep doing this over and over, going back and forth between checking the storage and monitoring the restoration percentage, but always without "leaving the app".
The point is that as soon as the app reaches it's max storage, to immediately shut down the whole process, I did it by simply shutting down the phone and reentering WA when I restart.
Why? Because if you ever let the process continue you'd see that at some point all of a sudden the storage goes from e.g. 2 or 3 GB to 100 Mb. And that's where the problem lies. So how do you know when you reach this point of max storage? It's mostly from observation of failure, guessing, and/or when you see it's stalling.

I hope I was clear, and that this can help if there's someone else in the world who encounters/ed this issue and save them from hours and hours of heartache trying to transfer these chats.

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: May 13, 2020, 12:05:28 AM »

The point of the trick is not how you transfer, whether it be Google Drive or manually is irrelevant.
Firstly, to clear up memory I've since learnt that all those msgstore-xxxxx.crypt12 files are unnecessary, only the one without a date and (or?) the one with the most recent date in the file name. So feel free to delete those. I delete them all the time these days since they take up so much memory.

The crux of it goes like this: As the chats are "restoring", you want to be monitoring the storage usage of the the WA app. BUT you must be careful NOT to leave the app via the back button or more importantly not to reenter the app via touching the WA button on the main screens because that would interfere with the restoration (seemingly). Rather leave the app via the home button, then check the where the storage is holding, then reenter WhatsApp ONLY via the button that switches between recent apps.
Keep doing this over and over, going back and forth between checking the storage and monitoring the restoration percentage, but always without "leaving the app".
The point is that as soon as the app reaches it's max storage, to immediately shut down the whole process, I did it by simply shutting down the phone and reentering WA when I restart.
Why? Because if you ever let the process continue you'd see that at some point all of a sudden the storage goes from e.g. 2 or 3 GB to 100 Mb. And that's where the problem lies. So how do you know when you reach this point of max storage? It's mostly from observation of failure, guessing, and/or when you see it's stalling.

I hope I was clear, and that this can help if there's someone else in the world who encounters/ed this issue and save them from hours and hours of heartache trying to transfer these chats.
Where are you checking the storage of the app?
Why do you have to keep checking why can't you just leave it open and when you see that the restoration is stalled ,restart your phone?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: May 13, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
Where are you checking the storage of the app?
Depends on your phone I guess, but Apps Storage should be somewhere in your Settings, under Apps or Storage.

Why do you have to keep checking why can't you just leave it open and when you see that the restoration is stalled ,restart your phone?
Because it hasn't necessarily reached its max (which is what you want, as presumably that would mean actually restoring all your chat history) the second it stalls, the storage may possibly still be building up.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: May 13, 2020, 05:52:36 PM »
Writing this here just in case it helps somebody.
I had a problem that every time I transferred my WhatsApp from my old android to new one, my chats wouldn't come through.
Every time the process of restoring chats would get stuck at xx% (IIRC usually 24 or 40), and eventually it'd tell you that it couldn't restore your chats.
I tried every suggestion I can find on the web and from acquaintances, manual transfer of internal memory instead of through Drive, changing to biz acct, you name it - I tried it.
Of course much Googling has led me to discover that there were so many on the same boat who had the same issue, and WhatsApp couldn't care less.
Horrible company. I just wish the masses would transfer to Telegram. What a world of a difference. But the sheeple in this world have WA, so what can I do...
This went on for over a year. BH a few months ago I discovered a trick on some online tech forum, and lo and behold, some form of the trick worked.

I'm writing this from memory, and since it was several months ago I hope I get it right.

did you report this to WA?
["-"]

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: May 13, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »
did you report this to WA?
No. They couldn't care less to solve anyone's problem, they are of no help when you request assistance.

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #2347 on: May 13, 2020, 06:50:14 PM »
Never had a issue but good to know

Offline israshot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: May 14, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
how do i do this in whatsapp?

i want to write my own words that someone clicks on that goes to a website i want
You can do this: https://bit.ly/justaregularguy
https://app.bitly.com/

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: May 18, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
No. They couldn't care less to solve anyone's problem, they are of no help when you request assistance.
+1 has the same experience.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: June 03, 2020, 09:43:03 PM »
Friend is having an issue going from iphone whatsapp to a new iphone. Media wont transfer over. Is there a way to manually delete the whatsapp folder on the new phone so he can redo and try again?

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: June 03, 2020, 10:52:34 PM »
Friend is having an issue going from iphone whatsapp to a new iphone. Media wont transfer over. Is there a way to manually delete the whatsapp folder on the new phone so he can redo and try again?
solved, thanks yammer. Keeping the app open through the chats being restored was the key for the media to get restored.

― Aristotle

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: July 02, 2020, 10:29:54 PM »
Anyone else get random whatsapps from other countries asking you to review an amazon product?

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: July 02, 2020, 11:46:58 PM »
Anyone else get random whatsapps from other countries asking you to review an amazon product?
No.

Targeted ::)

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: July 05, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
I've since learnt that all those msgstore-xxxxx.crypt12 files are unnecessary, only the one without a date and (or?) the one with the most recent date in the file name. So feel free to delete those. I delete them all the time these days since they take up so much memory.

Is there any way to stop WhatsApp from making/keeping so many versions of this file? I keep deleting old versions, but it would be nice if they got deleted automatically once a new version was made

Mtrasb

« Reply #2356 on: July 05, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
Is there any way to stop WhatsApp from making/keeping so many versions of this file? I keep deleting old versions, but it would be nice if they got deleted automatically once a new version was made

Try this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm

You may have to pay for the full version for the necessary feature.

(I didn't, so don't take my word for it. However I think that the app cleaner function should do the trick.)

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: July 14, 2020, 04:12:54 PM »
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: July 14, 2020, 04:26:57 PM »
Yup +2
I'm not who you think I am.