Topic Wiki

Cost
Free

Supported devices
WhatsApp is stopping support for all Symbian, Nokia S40, BlackBerry phones. Phones running older versions of Windows, Android and iOS operating systems will also not be supported.
The shutdown of the service for these devices and platforms will happen at the end of the year, December 31, 2016. https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/20951556

Android users still on Android 2.1 and Android 2.2 are no longer be able to use WhatsApp.

Windows phone users will have to upgrade beyond Windows Phone 7.1 to continue enjoying services. iOS 6 are not be supported, which  affects those Apple users who are holding back from updating the OS.

The devices that WhatsApp will no longer be supported are: Nokia Asha 201, Nokia Asha 205 Chat Edition, Nokia Asha 206, Nokia Asha 208, Nokia Asha 210, Nokia Asha 300, Nokia Asha 301, Nokia Asha 302, Nokia Asha 303, Nokia Asha 305, Nokia Asha 306, Nokia Asha 308, Nokia Asha 309, Nokia Asha 310, Nokia Asha 311, Nokia Asha 515, Nokia Asha 500, Nokia Asha 501, Nokia Asha 502, Nokia Asha 503, Nokia Asha 230, Nokia C3-00, Nokia C3-01, Nokia X2-01, Nokia X3-02, Nokia X2-00, Nokia X7, Nokia E6, Nokia N8, Nokia C6, Nokia C7, Nokia E7, Nokia 500, Nokia 600, Nokia 603, Nokia 700, Nokia 701, Nokia 808, Nokia 5800, Nokia 5530, Nokia 5230, Nokia 5233, Nokia 5235, Nokia N97, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia X6, Nokia X5-01, Nokia C6, Nokia C5-03, Samsung i8910 Omnia HD, Sony Ericsson Satio, Sony Ericsson Vivaz, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, Nokia 5700, Nokia 6110, Nokia 6120, Nokia 6121, Nokia 6124, Nokia 6700, Nokia 6290, Nokia E51, Nokia E63, Nokia E66, Nokia E71, Nokia E90 Communicator, Nokia N76, Nokia N81, Nokia N81 8GB, Nokia N82, Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia 5320, Nokia 5630, Nokia 5730, Nokia 6210, Nokia 6220, Nokia 6650 fold, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 6720, Nokia 6730, Nokia 6760 Slide, Nokia 6790 Surge, Nokia C5, Nokia E52, Nokia E55, Nokia E72, Nokia E73, Nokia E75, Nokia E5, Nokia N78, Nokia N79, Nokia N85, Nokia N86 8MP, Nokia N96, Samsung GT-i8510, Samsung GT-I7110, Samsung SGH-L870, Samsung SGH-G810 and Samsung SGH-iNNN.

UPDATE: You won't be able to use WhatsApp on the following platforms for:

Nokia Symbian S60 after June 30, 2017
BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 after December 31, 2017
Windows Phone 8.0 and older after December 31, 2017
Nokia S40 after December 31, 2018
Android versions 2.3.7 and older after February 1, 2020

Personal info sharing
WhatsApp will share your phone number with Facebook, you have 30 days to opt-out. https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/general/26000016

Transferring Chat history
check out http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/21002842

Author Topic: Whatsapp App Discussion Thread  (Read 441541 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Whatsapp for 16 Billion!!!!!
« Reply #420 on: February 25, 2014, 08:33:17 PM »
Ironic that the whatsapp master thread is talking about the 16bil deal and the whatsapp deal thread is talking about general whatsapp ???
Should have merged right when this thread started, now it would just make a mess...

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 25, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
Ironic that the whatsapp master thread is talking about the 16bil deal and the whatsapp deal thread is talking about general whatsapp ???

Lol I was thinking that. Most thread turn ot eventually (just look at the married men wearing rings thread)

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 26, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
Anyone else getting tons of these messages:
(The things people fall for...!)

✅ Hello, I. Am DAVID D. SURETECH founder of Whatsapp. this message is to inform all of our users that we have only 53million accounts available for new phones. Our servers have recently been very congested, so we asking for your help to solve this problem. We need our active users to forward this message to every single person in their contact list in order to confirm our active users that use WhatsApp. If you do not send this message to all your contacts to WhatsApp, then your account will remain inactive with the consequence of losing all your contacts. The automatic update symbol on your SmartPhone Will appear with the transmission of this message. Your smartphone will be updated within 24 hours, and will feature a new design; a new color for the chat and the icon will change from green to azul. Whatsapp will begin to charge unless you are a frequent user. If you have at least 10 contacts send this sms and the logo will become red on your platform
to indicate that you are an active user. Tomorrow, we wil begin to take messages for whatsapp for 0.37 cents. Forward this message to more than 9 people in your contact list and the what's app logo on your will turn blue meaning that you have
Become a free user for life.

Confirming this is the new icon WhatsApp ☑ ®

Send it to all your contacts to update the application
♻send this to 10 people
To activate the new whatsapp calling for free version 4.0.0

100% WORKING!!! I GOT THE NEW WHATSAPP NOW... With free calls!

Offline DBK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »

✅ Hello, I. Am DAVID D. SURETECH founder of Whatsapp. this message is to inform all of our users that we have only 53million accounts available for new phones. Our servers have recently been very congested, so we asking for your help to solve this problem. We need our active users to forward this message to every single person in their contact list in order to confirm our active users that use WhatsApp. If you do not send this message to all your contacts to WhatsApp, then your account will remain inactive with the consequence of losing all your contacts. The automatic update symbol on your SmartPhone Will appear with the transmission of this message. Your smartphone will be updated within 24 hours, and will feature a new design; a new color for the chat and the icon will change from green to azul. Whatsapp will begin to charge unless you are a frequent user. If you have at least 10 contacts send this sms and the logo will become red on your platform
to indicate that you are an active user. Tomorrow, we wil begin to take messages for whatsapp for 0.37 cents. Forward this message to more than 9 people in your contact list and the what's app logo on your will turn blue meaning that you have

♻send this to 10 people

A bunch. Its absolute garbage

Offline mendoul

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Flying blue Gold Petroleum, BMI Gold, Accord hotel platinium, Avis gold, Aegean Gold
« Reply #425 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »

♻send this to 10 people

i got it like 10 times!
mendy

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 26, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
i got it like 10 times!

they are learning from fb already >:(

Offline DBK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 26, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
they are learning from fb already >:(
Dont think its related. Ive had this happen occasionally over the years that I have had whatsapp.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #428 on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
A message from Whatsapp founder Jan Koum:

Every now and then Whatsapp will spread rumors about some policy change, or something that really makes no sense. We here at Whatsapp realize that while there are so many great features for this app, there is one glaring down side.

The world is full of IDIOTS and morons.

And too often, these people have your phone number. To remedy this problem we periodically start rumors and request that people send a message to 10 friends. You can then identify these people and use our "block" feature, to premptively prevent being bothered by these people in the future.

In addition, when a contact forwards one of our messsges to 10 or more people, his or her status will turn to a blue circle, so even if you didn't receive the message from him or her, you'll know to block them (just kidding about that part)

You're welcome,
Jan
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 26, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »
I'm pretty proud that I didn't get any of these messages
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 26, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »

It's your contacts who should be proud they didn't fall for it ;D

Offline HP58

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »
Every now and then Whatsapp will spread rumors about some policy change, or something that really makes no sense. We here at Whatsapp realize that while there are so many great features for this app, there is one glaring down side.
And too often, these people have your phone number. To remedy this problem we periodically start rumors and request that people send a message to 10 friends. You can then identify these people and use our "block" feature, to premptively prevent being bothered by these people in the future.
In addition, when a contact forwards one of our messsges to 10 or more people, his or her status will turn to a blue circle, so even if you didn't receive the message from him or her, you'll know to block them (just kidding about that part)
You're welcome,
Jan
LIKE!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #432 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »
It's your contacts who should be proud they didn't fall for it ;D
And I'm proud that I didn't surround myself with morons :P

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #433 on: February 26, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »

You're welcome,
Jan
This is a joke, right? He didn't really call people idiots in a public letter - that was satire, correct?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #434 on: February 26, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »
Facepalm.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #435 on: February 26, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »
Facepalm.
ok.. I knew that the top one was phishing, but I thought that the bottom one was J.K. saying how to get out of that situation.

btw...  I've never fallen for those Gmail email hacks that include about opening a document. Some schools got hacked by that and items were sent out.
B"H, all caught in time!
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #436 on: February 26, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2014/02/19/exclusive-inside-story-how-jan-koum-built-whatsapp-into-facebooks-new-19-billion-baby/2/

With Koum and Acton working for free for the first few years, their biggest early cost was sending verification texts to users. Koum and Acton were using cutthroat SMS brokers like Click-A-Tell, who’d send an SMS to the U.S. for 2 cents, but to the Middle East for 65 cents. Today SMS verification runs the company about $500,000 a month. The costs weren’t so steep back then, but high enough to drain Koum’s bank account.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
Re: Whatsapp App And $19B Buyout Discussion
« Reply #437 on: February 26, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »
Good merge

Offline A European

• View Profile