Author Topic: NY Post Article On Satmar Couple's Open Marriage (Interesting Articles Split)  (Read 16928 times)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
So is it confirmed that college education was/is the single biggest threat to frumkeit? or was the lubavitcher rebbe being too fanatic about that?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
We dont need to go back to the 50's

r"l
https://www.ou.org/life/parenting/why-are-our-teens-going-off-derech-steven-pruzansky/
Although IMO they aren't going off for intellectual reasons, its not only tayvos either. A lot of it has to do with letzonus, the mockery of anything holy and or special and that breaks down the defenses.
there is rarely one reason alone, but elit can keep his head in the sand.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

If that is what you think happened with 100s maybe thousands of times the amount of people leaving yiddishkeit in college without the rebeliousness found in many current OTD kids then yes.
You are comparing Apple's to oranges
Going otd from college campusus of the 70s didn't require the pain because it wasn't anywhere near the degree of separation that we are talking about if anything it was embracing culture and social circles that they were more a part of then they were leaving

Offline aygart

• View Profile
You are comparing Apple's to oranges
Going otd from college campusus of the 70s didn't require the pain because it wasn't anywhere near the degree of separation that we are talking about if anything it was embracing culture and social circles that they were more a part of then they were leaving
Keep your head in the sand. I guess it is comfortable for you there.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline elit

• View Profile
Keep your head in the sand. I guess it is comfortable for you there.
So we've moved on from your cognitive dissonance line to the head in the sand one. Nice.
#winningarguments

Offline aygart

• View Profile
So we've moved on from your cognitive dissonance line to the head in the sand one. Nice.
#winningarguments
They are the same thing. It was not only in colleges in the 70s and if you even put a small amount of effort you would know that. I am not denying that there is hurt involved but to deny the importance of other factors is simply silly and unhelpful to anyone.

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Talk about a thread going off the rails.....

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Talk about a thread going off the rails.....
It's definitely swinging

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Online mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
It's definitely swinging
Pun intended?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline aygart

• View Profile
What did you guys think the conversation about this article was? Where they were last night?

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Does laziness fall into the category of tacos according to you guys?
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
My dream would be to teach jewish history in relation to rituals.

In absence of the Bait Hamikdash, kjudaism became a religion of rituals. The excitement of daily practice is long gone, holidays are no longer as exciting, go to the kotel on tisha b'av and how many jews are really crying ?

Rav JB soloveitchik writes a lot about this, I love his passion expression tempered by intellect, his brisker lineage, influence of a chabad melamed and reconciling his secular encounters and huge intellect.

Chabad didnt do it for me because without the Rebbe, its hard to stay connected.. just as above with bait hamikdash. Also chabad philosophy didnt cater to my intellect.

Being non religious can be any thing really but yes its mostly the appeal of pleasure without guilt, as Eliyahu said "how long will you serve both baal and God ?"

Pleasures can be anything from trayf, to wanting to party on shabbat, sure a lot is sexual, but its mostly a lack of connection and caring, a bit like how marriages break down, at some point people just dont care any more so they leave.

For me, studying the Mesorah and the intellectual supremacy of the Rav, the Halachik mind, the Halachik man, the lonely man of faith etc coupled with my knowledge of Chasidus is really what keeps me grounded.

Also, the frum worlds really needs to step back and re-evaluate itself, never was being religious so heavy in rules and rituals, its like a guy that buys his wife fancy gifts but cant be bothered to listen her speak and sincerely be there for her.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
My dream would be to teach jewish history in relation to rituals.

In absence of the Bait Hamikdash, kjudaism became a religion of rituals. The excitement of daily practice is long gone, holidays are no longer as exciting, go to the kotel on tisha b'av and how many jews are really crying ?

Rav JB soloveitchik writes a lot about this, I love his passion expression tempered by intellect, his brisker lineage, influence of a chabad melamed and reconciling his secular encounters and huge intellect.

Chabad didnt do it for me because without the Rebbe, its hard to stay connected.. just as above with bait hamikdash. Also chabad philosophy didnt cater to my intellect.

Being non religious can be any thing really but yes its mostly the appeal of pleasure without guilt, as Eliyahu said "how long will you serve both baal and God ?"

Pleasures can be anything from trayf, to wanting to party on shabbat, sure a lot is sexual, but its mostly a lack of connection and caring, a bit like how marriages break down, at some point people just dont care any more so they leave.

For me, studying the Mesorah and the intellectual supremacy of the Rav, the Halachik mind, the Halachik man, the lonely man of faith etc coupled with my knowledge of Chasidus is really what keeps me grounded.

Also, the frum worlds really needs to step back and re-evaluate itself, never was being religious so heavy in rules and rituals, its like a guy that buys his wife fancy gifts but cant be bothered to listen her speak and sincerely be there for her.
I'm assuming your not married after saying this, but the rest of you're post is spot on

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
What did you guys think the conversation about this article was? Where they were last night?
We can always hope.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(