Author Topic: NY Post Article On Satmar Couple's Open Marriage (Interesting Articles Split)  (Read 44249 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
What did you guys think the conversation about this article was? Where they were last night?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Does laziness fall into the category of tacos according to you guys?
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
My dream would be to teach jewish history in relation to rituals.

In absence of the Bait Hamikdash, kjudaism became a religion of rituals. The excitement of daily practice is long gone, holidays are no longer as exciting, go to the kotel on tisha b'av and how many jews are really crying ?

Rav JB soloveitchik writes a lot about this, I love his passion expression tempered by intellect, his brisker lineage, influence of a chabad melamed and reconciling his secular encounters and huge intellect.

Chabad didnt do it for me because without the Rebbe, its hard to stay connected.. just as above with bait hamikdash. Also chabad philosophy didnt cater to my intellect.

Being non religious can be any thing really but yes its mostly the appeal of pleasure without guilt, as Eliyahu said "how long will you serve both baal and God ?"

Pleasures can be anything from trayf, to wanting to party on shabbat, sure a lot is sexual, but its mostly a lack of connection and caring, a bit like how marriages break down, at some point people just dont care any more so they leave.

For me, studying the Mesorah and the intellectual supremacy of the Rav, the Halachik mind, the Halachik man, the lonely man of faith etc coupled with my knowledge of Chasidus is really what keeps me grounded.

Also, the frum worlds really needs to step back and re-evaluate itself, never was being religious so heavy in rules and rituals, its like a guy that buys his wife fancy gifts but cant be bothered to listen her speak and sincerely be there for her.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
My dream would be to teach jewish history in relation to rituals.

In absence of the Bait Hamikdash, kjudaism became a religion of rituals. The excitement of daily practice is long gone, holidays are no longer as exciting, go to the kotel on tisha b'av and how many jews are really crying ?

Rav JB soloveitchik writes a lot about this, I love his passion expression tempered by intellect, his brisker lineage, influence of a chabad melamed and reconciling his secular encounters and huge intellect.

Chabad didnt do it for me because without the Rebbe, its hard to stay connected.. just as above with bait hamikdash. Also chabad philosophy didnt cater to my intellect.

Being non religious can be any thing really but yes its mostly the appeal of pleasure without guilt, as Eliyahu said "how long will you serve both baal and God ?"

Pleasures can be anything from trayf, to wanting to party on shabbat, sure a lot is sexual, but its mostly a lack of connection and caring, a bit like how marriages break down, at some point people just dont care any more so they leave.

For me, studying the Mesorah and the intellectual supremacy of the Rav, the Halachik mind, the Halachik man, the lonely man of faith etc coupled with my knowledge of Chasidus is really what keeps me grounded.

Also, the frum worlds really needs to step back and re-evaluate itself, never was being religious so heavy in rules and rituals, its like a guy that buys his wife fancy gifts but cant be bothered to listen her speak and sincerely be there for her.
I'm assuming your not married after saying this, but the rest of you're post is spot on

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
What did you guys think the conversation about this article was? Where they were last night?
We can always hope.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »
Not exactly, and might sound a little condescending.

There was a group of highly intellectual bochurim who went OTD (to various degrees). כז אדר \ ג תמוז might have been part of the trigger or facilitator, but there were definitely other factors. At least one of them (son of a neighbor of mine) is somewhat attached, and has been seen around more often in recent years. IINM they all did drugs to a certain extent at some point.

That brings to mind another highly intellectual classmate of mine (from Morristown) who went OTD, I see him in Crown Heights rarely, and don't really know what his status is.

And then there's another one who used to stand right next to me at the Rebbe's farbrengens, had a phenomenal head and memory, and used to do חזרה of the farbrengens in great detail. He went OTD after he was married.

By no stretch of the imagination would I call any of the above an עם-הארץ, these guys were all top of the class, both in נגלה and חסידות! However, I really don't think it was an intellectual trigger that caused any of the above to go OTD. While none of us knows what's in people's minds, especially in the last case I mentioned, I believe he just succumbed to his תאוות.

What's drugs got to do with being intellectual or not?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »

90% of OTD is because they cant reconcile their sexual activity with Judaism...1% is intellectual OTD and the rest is a mixture of reasons.
You're fascinated with sex.

While your lust fantasies may have been your urge to go OTD (didn't end happening because your ego is more powerful than your sexual desires), that's not necessarily what drives the 90% OTD.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
My impression is that being OTD is not much fun; typically it means losing your entire social network, community, and to some extent family. 

I'd assume people leave if the pain they have in staying is more than that.

Well said.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
Welcome to the discussion.

Did I infer anywhere that doing drugs has anything to do with intellect?

However, drugs are part of going OTD. My entire post was about not connecting going OTD with עם הארצות.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »

Reminds me of
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
However, drugs are part of going OTD.

Says who? Aren't they mutually exclusive?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
What does the D of OTD stand for?

-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »

While your lust fantasies may have been your urge to go OTD (didn't end happening because your ego is more powerful than your sexual desires), that's not necessarily what drives the 90% OTD.
And you sir are Meshugener...need I say more?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

• View Profile
Maybe ddf was more fun because mesh was here?

Online aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Drugs often cause OTD
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
What does the D of OTD stand for?

Derech, typically referring to Shabbos, Kashrus, TH, Davening etc. Someone could technically do all those and still use drugs recreationally. And not all OTD people use drugs, hence I say they're mutually exclusive.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Derech, typically referring to Shabbos, Kashrus, TH, Davening etc. Someone could technically do all those and still use drugs recreationally. And not all OTD people use drugs, hence I say they're mutually exclusive.
Many people would define "doing drugs" as a deviation from the "Derech". It is a deviation from ישובו של עולם, and regardless of שמירת התורה והמצוות could be considered OTD.

I definitely agree that not all OTD people use drugs (I would hope that most don't), but that doesn't make them "mutually exclusive" which in English means "cannot co-exist" AFAIK.
-- Dan

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
Can we define "drugs"? Are you including pot in that?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2017, 08:38:57 PM »
It kills brain cells.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

• View Profile
any cell in my body that can't handle alcohol, I don't want it