Poll

Would you pay an additional 30k + $140 YQ to try LY's new product if both UA and LY was available?

Yes
No
Undecided
Only ex-TLV (to get King David lounge entry)

Author Topic: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread  (Read 171262 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Will the LY Dreamliner have a First Class cabin? (a little hint)
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:04 PM »
1. Are you serious? The vast majority of people say the service is horrendous, even worse than typically horrendous Israeli service that you expect. Even more so if you're frum. There have been hundreds of LY horror stories posted in DD comments, DDF, and DDFB.

To clarify most stories with the bed service with LY is in Y. Indeed they treat their Y pax like $hit. However in premium classes people actually like the service very much.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »
There happens to be a thread here on DDF (paging TimT) of many people giving raving reviews as well. But let's put aside the style to bash LY, it's no secret that every airline has plenty horror stories. Being in the line as a TA for a few years already, I've seen pretty much everything. And I can say that my (clients) worst horror stories have actually been will DL, CX and UA etc.. In the DL incident where they denied boarding to a J class revenue paying passenger from TLV (and they even admit afterward that they completely erred) and no matter how much fighting including a DOT complaint they wouldn't compensate more than 20k Skypesos, makes Ilherman's incident with LY look like a joke. While almost every passenger who was placed on a leased aircraft who sent a decently written complaint to LY this past winter got compensated with free flight vouchers (at least business passengers). I'm no fan of LY. I can write my own book of horror stories, but what I do recognize is that they are all the same garbage. They all mistreat and take advantage of their customers. But for some reason, my LY elite clients seem more committed to LY than my *A elites are to *A. There must be some charm there....trueThey renewed their website a couple of years ago already....1) That's to the US. Their award chart to Europe (especially during promotions) can be a real steal.
2) You forget to mention that availability with LY puts all of them together to shame...

Bottom line, everyone sees what they want to see. And you for example will refuse to see anything positive in this airline. That you didn't fly LY until today, was totally understood. From here on, I believe it's all ego...
I said my piece......
Your point about the free business class flights for whoever travelled on the leased planes. The data is not correct. On Some planes they did give out the vouchers but some others have gotten no where with their horrendous customer relations team.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2017, 09:14:22 PM »
Um... The standard food on El Al is at least as "mehadrin" as the Waldarf Astoria Jerusalem.....
This is false. Waldorf "officially" uses only Rabanut mehadrin meat. ELAL standard "officially" used plain Rabanut which is close to nothing... Big difference. A lot a lot of people would eat Mehadrin but not plain Rabanut.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »
And this

LONDON: El Al has been named the worst airliner for cleanliness and noise in a new list compiled by Heathrow Airport. @KolHaolom

Haaretz:
Heathrow Airport Shames El Al as Dirtiest and Noisiest Airline

London hub is producing quarterly list in effort to 'shame' airliners into using more efficient planes
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.795965?v=A7149869068E0795BAF2F887F1DD9642

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
2) You forget to mention that availability with LY puts all of them together to shame...
Airlines with high YQ generally have better award availability.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2017, 10:03:16 PM »
To clarify most stories with the bed service with LY is in Y. Indeed they treat their Y pax like $hit. However in premium classes people actually like the service very much.
Didn't you have a premium pax story?
TimT?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:19 PM »
True.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2017, 10:07:25 PM »
There happens to be a thread here on DDF (paging TimT) of many people giving raving reviews as well. But let's put aside the style to bash LY, it's no secret that every airline has plenty horror stories. Being in the line as a TA for a few years already, I've seen pretty much everything. And I can say that my (clients) worst horror stories have actually been will DL, CX and UA etc.. In the DL incident where they denied boarding to a J class revenue paying passenger from TLV (and they even admit afterward that they completely erred) and no matter how much fighting including a DOT complaint they wouldn't compensate more than 20k Skypesos, makes Ilherman's incident with LY look like a joke. While almost every passenger who was placed on a leased aircraft who sent a decently written complaint to LY this past winter got compensated with free flight vouchers (at least business passengers). I'm no fan of LY. I can write my own book of horror stories, but what I do recognize is that they are all the same garbage. They all mistreat and take advantage of their customers. But for some reason, my LY elite clients seem more committed to LY than my *A elites are to *A. There must be some charm there....trueThey renewed their website a couple of years ago already....1) That's to the US. Their award chart to Europe (especially during promotions) can be a real steal.

Bottom line, everyone sees what they want to see. And you for example will refuse to see anything positive in this airline. That you didn't fly LY until today, was totally understood. From here on, I believe it's all ego...
I said my piece......
Do those pax eat the regular meals?

Either way, I tried to fly LT in 2015 before the deval. There was no award space.
The guy that devalued Matmid that reached out to me offered to open up F award space for a daytime flight, but not a redeye, so I stuck with my US J redeye ticket.
The LY redeye wound up going out 0/8 in F.

In other news, tell your BKK pax to enjoy Wamos Air  ;D

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2017, 01:27:39 AM »
Do those pax eat the regular meals?

Either way, I tried to fly LT in 2015 before the deval. There was no award space.
The guy that devalued Matmid that reached out to me offered to open up F award space for a daytime flight, but not a redeye, so I stuck with my US J redeye ticket.
The LY redeye wound up going out 0/8 in F.

In other news, tell your BKK pax to enjoy Wamos Air  ;D
All my clients order only mehadrin.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2017, 02:27:38 AM »

1. Are you serious? The vast majority of people say the service is horrendous, even worse than typically horrendous Israeli service that you expect. Even more so if you're frum. There have been hundreds of LY horror stories posted in DD comments, DDF, and DDFB.

Not premium. You have been told that more than once.

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2017, 04:17:14 AM »
$175 isn't high YQ for a OW

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2017, 05:23:25 AM »
If I didn't eat mehadrin only I would probably enjoy it a lot indeed.

I was upgraded from J to F on the TLV-LAX both ways last week. I didn't see anyone get any special food order, however they definitely stepped up the quality and selection.

Personally I don't eat mehadrin, and it was quite amazing, it's like a 5 course meal.

Besides food the only improvement is that they now give the Bose NC wireless headset in F. It's a start.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2017, 05:47:58 AM »
Poll added. (Feel free to edit)

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »
I personally would love to see a trip report comparing the UA 77W vs the LY 789. (unless you can't give up on that second set of pj's...)
Last time LY offered it to you, they asked for 162.5k for a inferior product than you can now get for 100k. (quickly, before they change that rate...) And the flight to EWR is always a red-eye.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
I was upgraded from J to F on the TLV-LAX both ways last week. I didn't see anyone get any special food order, however they definitely stepped up the quality and selection.

Personally I don't eat mehadrin, and it was quite amazing, it's like a 5 course meal.

Besides food the only improvement is that they now give the Bose NC wireless headset in F. It's a start.
Yes, if you don't keep mehadrin, there's definitely a valid reason to fly LY. No argument.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2017, 08:15:43 AM »
I personally would love to see a trip report comparing the UA 77W vs the LY 789. (unless you can't give up on that second set of pj's...)
Last time LY offered it to you, they asked for 162.5k for a inferior product than you can now get for 100k. (quickly, before they change that rate...) And the flight to EWR is always a red-eye.
It's a moot point, my flight (if I take it) is in August.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »
Like this?
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=60242.0
So you brought a single unclear case to show how the entire LY premium service sucks. Very persuasive.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
So you brought a single unclear case to show how the entire LY premium service sucks. Very persuasive.
Didn't say it all stinks, just that I've read enough horror stories that I don't feel compelled to go out of my way and pay an extra 120K miles+$600 YQ for my family to fly them over UA one-way.
And even if I did it's a moot point as it's before the 789 is flying.