Poll

Would you pay an additional 30k + $140 YQ to try LY's new product if both UA and LY was available?

Yes
No
Undecided
Only ex-TLV (to get King David lounge entry)

Author Topic: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread  (Read 169175 times)

Offline Cashman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread
« Reply #640 on: December 24, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »
Just landed in TLV flying J on the Dreamliner. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM. I loved it

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #641 on: December 24, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »
Post a quick TR?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Cashman

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 24, 2017, 11:26:40 AM »
Post a quick TR?
checking into WAJ now. Will do it later tonight IYH.

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 24, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
I loved it
Do you also own a blog? Did you have Adi as your flight attendant? ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #644 on: December 24, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »
Nobody said 787 J would not be enjoyable.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: December 24, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
Nobody said 787 J would not be enjoyable.
But plenty here said that Lucky's TR was useless because they were "all too prepared for him"....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 24, 2017, 01:51:17 PM »
But plenty here said that Lucky's TR was useless because they were "all too prepared for him"....
Considering he got a proactive chauffeur offered on an award and all of LYs social media shared his posts, do you disagree with them?

I wouldn't say it's useless, but it's clearly not what others would get. That doesn't mean it's not entertaining, which is ultimately what his blog is about. See his profile in RS if you want to see what it's about.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 24, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »
See his profile in RS if you want to see what it's about.
What's RS?

Offline high end hobo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 24, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
Rolling stone

Offline Cashman

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 24, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »

Okay for starters NO I don’t own a blog and I am not getting comped for this TR. I am an average working guy who travels a lot. And this will be my first TR.

Now for the TR :  I am going to compare the LY Dreamliner to other aircrafts that fly this route. I was seated in 14A which has more privacy due to the table being in between you and the aisle. I loved the personal closet they give you. It was very roomy and due to lack of WiFi i stored my cell phone in there and other personal items.  Another plus was when lying down there is a area for your glasses which I though was a cool amenity.

The seat itself was very comfortable and you can pickup the leather headrest to make room for your pillow.  There was plenty of legroom for myself. (Disclaimer I’m 5’8). The seat can be maneuverd to a relaxing position and lie flat position and I found both to be very comfortable.

They finally figured out a way to make the eating tray manuervable where although the food is on the tray you can get out to wash your hands.

Another perk was the tint on the windows which some may not like. As it was an evening flight there are no shades on the windows but they have a tint that they activate that turns the outdoors completely dark and there is no way at night to see if there is sunlight outside. Morning time they took of the restriction and your were free to either activate the tint or remove it.

In regards to staff and food. I always find that while LY staff in eco is horrible. When it comes to J it’s a great experience. I eat the standard kosher meal and had a great piece of salmon for dinner and a omelette for breakfast.

Bathrooms are still very small and the aisles I’m guessing to add room for seats are very thin making it tough for two people to pass at the same time.

Entertainment was excellent with a choice of 142 movies with very comfortable headphones and if you were in the mood a channel playing the daf yomi shiur.

So yes I was very happy and it’s tremendous improvement for their old J class

Offline pashakym

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 24, 2017, 06:47:46 PM »
Considering he got a proactive chauffeur offered on an award and all of LYs social media shared his posts, do you disagree with them?

I wouldn't say it's useless, but it's clearly not what others would get. That doesn't mean it's not entertaining, which is ultimately what his blog is about. See his profile in RS if you want to see what it's about.

It wasn't an award flight. He paid cash for his ticket and paid points for his mom's ticket.

(Based on his comment here http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/11/13/el-al-787-business-class)

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 24, 2017, 06:55:55 PM »
It wasn't an award flight. He paid cash for his ticket and paid points for his mom's ticket.

(Based on his comment here http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/11/13/el-al-787-business-class)
That was for the EWR-TLV flight. For the TLV-LHR segment he redeemed QF miles.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 24, 2017, 06:57:19 PM »
For the TLV-LHR segment he redeemed QF miles.
And that was the chauffeur flight.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 24, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
Okay for starters NO I don’t own a blog and I am not getting comped for this TR. I am an average working guy who travels a lot. And this will be my first TR.

Now for the TR :  I am going to compare the LY Dreamliner to other aircrafts that fly this route. I was seated in 14A which has more privacy due to the table being in between you and the aisle. I loved the personal closet they give you. It was very roomy and due to lack of WiFi i stored my cell phone in there and other personal items.  Another plus was when lying down there is a area for your glasses which I though was a cool amenity.

The seat itself was very comfortable and you can pickup the leather headrest to make room for your pillow.  There was plenty of legroom for myself. (Disclaimer I’m 5’8). The seat can be maneuverd to a relaxing position and lie flat position and I found both to be very comfortable.

They finally figured out a way to make the eating tray manuervable where although the food is on the tray you can get out to wash your hands.

Another perk was the tint on the windows which some may not like. As it was an evening flight there are no shades on the windows but they have a tint that they activate that turns the outdoors completely dark and there is no way at night to see if there is sunlight outside. Morning time they took of the restriction and your were free to either activate the tint or remove it.

In regards to staff and food. I always find that while LY staff in eco is horrible. When it comes to J it’s a great experience. I eat the standard kosher meal and had a great piece of salmon for dinner and a omelette for breakfast.

Bathrooms are still very small and the aisles I’m guessing to add room for seats are very thin making it tough for two people to pass at the same time.

Entertainment was excellent with a choice of 142 movies with very comfortable headphones and if you were in the mood a channel playing the daf yomi shiur.

So yes I was very happy and it’s tremendous improvement for their old J class
Nice TR!
Any pics?

Offline pashakym

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 24, 2017, 07:02:44 PM »
That was for the EWR-TLV flight. For the TLV-LHR segment he redeemed QF miles.

Oh... Yes ... so may be I will get it as well?  :P

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 24, 2017, 08:56:59 PM »
Oh... Yes ... so may be I will get it as well?  :P
Its possible that the people that do the chauffeur service don't know anything about booking classes, they only know that if its says Matmid booking or something like that they don't offer a chauffeur. But most probably it goes according to the booking class.

Offline tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #656 on: December 25, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »
Its possible that the people that do the chauffeur service don't know anything about booking classes

The chauffeur service is coordinated through a division of ElAl, called Sherut Shalom. I used the service a couple of weeks ago of a F award, however this is only for TP Matmid (which I am) per Matmid regulations. so Lucky wasn't entitled to it..

Also the "chauffeur" that was sent to pick me up was an old taxi from the Castel station in Tel Aviv, and not the fancy car that picked up Lucky

Offline brodes18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, UA 1K, AA Platinum
« Reply #657 on: December 31, 2017, 11:00:39 PM »
In doing some research on the TLV-HKG route, I note that El-Al consistently charges $2628 for a one way and $3325 for a round trip in business. Cathay on the other hand charges $4925 for a one way and $7576 for a round trip on the same route.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=HKG;t=TLV;d=2018-08-14;r=2018-08-18;tt=o;sc=b;s=0

Now today, CX flies their A350 on this route, while LY flies their 777 on this route. Reports on FT are that this route has been very successful for them and that getting a J award ticket is hard to find. I get spending more for CX here since Lie flat cannot compare to LY angle flat.

Now in March LY is switching the 787 onto this route. The hard product will be superior to the one CX offers. Will LY raise their price, or will CX be forced to lower it. Either way, its' interesting to see how this will play out.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 31, 2017, 11:48:03 PM »
In doing some research on the TLV-HKG route, I note that El-Al consistently charges $2628 for a one way and $3325 for a round trip in business. Cathay on the other hand charges $4925 for a one way and $7576 for a round trip on the same route.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=HKG;t=TLV;d=2018-08-14;r=2018-08-18;tt=o;sc=b;s=0

Now today, CX flies their A350 on this route, while LY flies their 777 on this route. Reports on FT are that this route has been very successful for them and that getting a J award ticket is hard to find. I get spending more for CX here since Lie flat cannot compare to LY angle flat.

Now in March LY is switching the 787 onto this route. The hard product will be superior to the one CX offers. Will LY raise their price, or will CX be forced to lower it. Either way, its' interesting to see how this will play out.
Why do you say that LY 787 is a better hard product then CX A350?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline elya

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 01, 2018, 12:42:07 AM »
Why do you say that LY 787 is a better hard product then CX A350?
He didn't say better, just competitive.