Poll

Would you pay an additional 30k + $140 YQ to try LY's new product if both UA and LY was available?

Yes
No
Undecided
Only ex-TLV (to get King David lounge entry)

Author Topic: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread  (Read 169141 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread
« Reply #700 on: January 28, 2018, 01:21:20 AM »
My Aunt recently flew their premium economy, she said besides for the extra legroom it's far from the old UA business class, not worth the extra money
Who compared it to the old UA biz?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 28, 2018, 02:00:03 AM »
Wondering the same

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 28, 2018, 02:02:47 AM »
You're welcome to do the math. 789 + 744 + 772 vs 789x4
I doubt they added too much capacity because there's really not that much need for more nonstop capacity in the winter. They just about fill what the have now (sometimes)

What do all the numbers refer to?

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #703 on: January 28, 2018, 07:13:42 AM »
I flew it in Biz last week from LHR.
I feel so much has been written already so just trying to be incremental.

I chose 14A which gives you rather good privacy given that you face the window, with a table separating the seat from the aisle.

Conversely those solo seats which face the aisle have close to zero privacy. The same goes for the "honeymoon" duo of seats, where you end up sitting very close to the person next to you. The aisle in J are very narrow, you'd have to step into someone's pod to let someone pass.

In past reports people mentioned that LY was providing noise cancelling headphones, here they provided the regular old ones in the storage units next to the seats. Maybe I was supposed to ask for them but I didn't care since I carry my own set.

Entertainment has roughly 150 movies, with a mix of old and new ones, and the system works from the second you board (as opposed to the old LY where they waited for the system to be above 10k ft before turning it on).

The Premium Y and Y where half empty so I went and tried a few seats. The Premium Y felt very comfortable with lots of space for the legs and nice individual screens. Definitely much better than Y but I hear it's also much more expensive.

I felt Y wasn't as bad as I've been reading, but again I only say for a few minutes as opposed to people seating over 10 hours from Newark. Row 21 which is right behind Premium Y has significant leg room.

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 28, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
That was a terrible mistake... I meant LY

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 28, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »
What do all the numbers refer to?
Aircraft types in short.
744 - Boeing 747-400
789 - Boeing 787-9
772 - Boeing 777-200

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 28, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
That was a terrible mistake... I meant LY
Still a terrible mistake....
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 28, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
Aircraft types in short.
744 - Boeing 747-400
789 - Boeing 787-9
772 - Boeing 777-200

Thanks. That’s what I thought just couldn’t fig out why the last number was off on all of them.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #708 on: January 28, 2018, 01:13:09 PM »
Thanks. That’s what I thought just couldn’t fig out why the last number was off on all of them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ICAO_aircraft_type_designators

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 28, 2018, 03:10:35 PM »
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/el-al-announces-final-747-flight-north-america-tel-aviv-end-first-class-major-capacity-cut-jfk-tel-aviv-flights/
One of the most misleading titles/tweets I've ever seen on DDMS. They actually added capacity to NYC next winter and DD headline reads "major capacity cut". Gosh! You'd think Newark was on the west coast...
How about something like "El Al adds capacity in Newark while decreasing capacity at JFK" or "LY moves some capacity from JFK over to Newark". Almost reminds me of BBC reporting on Israel. The facts are actually the same. But it's all about how you present it to the readers.
#BashElAl

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 28, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/airline-news/el-al-announces-final-747-flight-north-america-tel-aviv-end-first-class-major-capacity-cut-jfk-tel-aviv-flights/
One of the most misleading titles/tweets I've ever seen on DDMS. They actually added capacity to NYC next winter and DD headline reads "major capacity cut". Gosh! You'd think Newark was on the west coast...
How about something like "El Al adds capacity in Newark while decreasing capacity at JFK" or "LY moves some capacity from JFK over to Newark". Almost reminds me of BBC reporting on Israel. The facts are actually the same. But it's all about how you present it to the readers.
#BashElAl

I read it exactly how you’re saying, didn’t realize what was really going on until I saw your comment. Maybe just because I skimmed it but it’s definitely misleading. An article about NYC as a whole would be a lot more transparent.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #711 on: January 28, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »
It's an article about the JFK market. It noted the EWR changes as well. The end.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 28, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
It's an article about the JFK market. It noted the EWR changes as well. The end.

Jfk & Ewr market price wise are usually pretty similar. I don’t think this will make such a big diff in price & if it drives up jfk pricing I’m sure many will just go to Newark.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #713 on: January 28, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »
Jfk & Ewr market price wise are usually pretty similar. I don’t think this will make such a big diff in price & if it drives up jfk pricing I’m sure many will just go to Newark.
I won't be surprised to see JFK priced at a premium to EWR next winter. Not everyone will "just go to EWR" to save a few bucks. Just ask United if people followed them to EWR when they dumped JFK.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #714 on: January 28, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
I won't be surprised to see JFK priced at a premium to EWR next winter. Not everyone will "just go to EWR" to save a few bucks. Just ask United if people followed them to EWR when they dumped JFK.
I don't know what it is currently, but many times I've seen people take the EWR flight because it was priced a little cheaper than JFK.

However, maybe with the explosive growth of Lakewood and it's surroundings, and the exodus of young families from Brooklyn into SI, NJ and even PA, EWR becomes more desirable than JFK for a larger audience justifying the split.

The failure of DL's 2nd flight is what I can't figure out. I think if I would live in South FL, I'd rather fly from FLL and connect in JFK, than fly out of MIA.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 28, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »
I don't know what it is currently, but many times I've seen people take the EWR flight because it was priced a little cheaper than JFK.
Sure, many will and many won't, as I implied.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 28, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »

You’d be right if it’s about saving “a few bucks” but If its over $100 more & you’re not flying solo I’m sure ppl will go to ewr. United is consistently significantly more expensive than elal, otherwise I’d be flying them a lot more often, yes from EWR.

Pricing aside I know ppl who fly to ewr because they feel customs is easier there (as somebody else mentioned in DDMS comments). I think they’re crazy but obviously flying EWR from NY is not as hard as ppl think. I’ve done it as well & i was quite surprised how overrated the diff is from driving to jfk.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 28, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
You’d be right if it’s about saving “a few bucks” but If its over $100 more & you’re not flying solo I’m sure ppl will go to ewr. United is consistently significantly more expensive than elal, otherwise I’d be flying them a lot more often, yes from EWR.

Pricing aside I know ppl who fly to ewr because they feel customs is easier there (as somebody else mentioned in DDMS comments). I think they’re crazy but obviously flying EWR from NY is not as hard as ppl think. I’ve done it as well & i was quite surprised how overrated the diff is from driving to jfk.
Plenty of people have a mindset that they won't go to EWR, no matter what. That's just the way it is.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #718 on: January 28, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »

Plenty of people have a mindset that they won't go to EWR, no matter what. That's just the way it is.
If you use traditional long term parking, I think EWR is cheaper. But IINM JFK has on-street free long term parking in greater proximity.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 28, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
If you use traditional long term parking, I think EWR is cheaper. But IINM JFK has on-street free long term parking in greater proximity.
It's a mindset, not logic. Discovered it after lecturing to thousands of people in NYC over the years.