Poll

Would you pay an additional 30k + $140 YQ to try LY's new product if both UA and LY was available?

Yes
No
Undecided
Only ex-TLV (to get King David lounge entry)

Author Topic: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread  (Read 169011 times)

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 28, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »
It's a mindset, not logic. Discovered it after lecturing to thousands of people in NYC over the years.

$$$ can change that easily. Regardless, if there will be more overall capacity, hopefully that’ll keep prices where they’ve been until now or maybe even cheaper from EWR. I’d be surprised if they’d be able to pull off a big premium to fly from JFK over EWR.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #721 on: January 28, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »
$$$ can change that easily. Regardless, if there will be more overall capacity, hopefully that’ll keep prices where they’ve been until now or maybe even cheaper from EWR. I’d be surprised if they’d be able to pull off a big premium to fly from JFK over EWR.
I don't think they'll get a big premium, but a $50-$100 premium isn't out of the question.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #722 on: January 28, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
I don't think they'll get a big premium, but a $50-$100 premium isn't out of the question.
FWIW, a nephew recently flew especially from TLV to EWR (despite the inconvenience and extra cost in tolls - which is no longer mitigated by cheaper gas) just to be able to experience the LY Dreamliner (in economy!)

#IsraeliMentality
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 28, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »
just to be able to experience the LY Dreamliner
#IsraeliMentality
Interesting that Boeing invested hundreds of billions of dollars just to attract some Israelis...

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 28, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
It's an article about the JFK market. It noted the EWR changes as well. The end.

The facts are actually the same. But it's all about how you present it to the readers.
#BashElAl
The BBC articles also have all the details in the article. It's the headline that makes the difference. Period.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #725 on: January 28, 2018, 05:44:56 PM »

Interesting that Boeing invested hundreds of billions of dollars just to attract some Israelis...
Boeing invests money to attract its customers which are the airlines, that in turn are trying to maximize their profits on each route (except for special routes that have other reasons, such as a chairman’s route).

The airlines in turn, market to the flying public with their hard and soft product.

Look at one of the comments on DDF about how people get so excited about a new aircraft and gadgets, that they don’t even realize that they have less space.

How much better is the LY 789 experience in cattle class vs the same on their 744?
-- Dan

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 28, 2018, 06:31:21 PM »
Boeing invests money to attract its customers which are the airlines, that in turn are trying to maximize their profits on each route (except for special routes that have other reasons, such as a chairman’s route).

The airlines in turn, market to the flying public with their hard and soft product.

Look at one of the comments on DDF about how people get so excited about a new aircraft and gadgets, that they don’t even realize that they have less space.

How much better is the LY 789 experience in cattle class vs the same on their 744?
An improved IFE system with a wider screen and arriving to your destination without a huge headache is nothing to you? I'd probably choose a better flight experience with fresher lighting, less dryness, etc. over an inch of extra seat width. But everyone can do what works for them. I just like the way you named it an "Israeli mentality" על טעם וריח...
I also find it interesting, that El AL gets so much negative coverage on their dreamliner economy seats, when it has nothing to do with them and all to do with manufacturer Boeing. It's the same narrow on all airlines that fly the 787. I've yet to see an airline who configured the plane 2-3-2 in economy...

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 28, 2018, 06:48:03 PM »

An improved IFE system with a wider screen and arriving to your destination without a huge headache is nothing to you? I'd probably choose a better flight experience with fresher lighting, less dryness, etc. over an inch of extra seat width. But everyone can do what works for them. I just like the way you named it an "Israeli mentality" על טעם וריח...
I also find it interesting, that El AL gets so much negative coverage on their dreamliner economy seats, when it has nothing to do with them and all to do with manufacturer Boeing. It's the same narrow on all airlines that fly the 787. I've yet to see an airline who configured the plane 2-3-2 in economy...
The Israeli mentality picks the 787 flight for reasons other than those you mentioned. They pick it because it’s the new toy. It’s the same mentality that puts the Dreamliner in LY’s Hebrew ads, just stating that it’s the latest and greatest, without the actual details you mentioned. It’s the same mentality that gets away with terrible service (in Y) and a non competitive mileage program.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #728 on: January 28, 2018, 06:48:17 PM »
The BBC articles also have all the details in the article. It's the headline that makes the difference. Period.
Nothing wrong with the headline. It's a big reduction on their flagship route.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 28, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »
The Israeli mentality picks the 787 flight for reasons other than those you mentioned. They pick it because it’s the new toy. It’s the same mentality that puts the Dreamliner in LY’s Hebrew ads, just stating that it’s the latest and greatest, without the actual details you mentioned. It’s the same mentality that gets away with terrible service (in Y) and a non competitive mileage program.
Nothing wrong with disliking an airline, but the reasons you give are sometimes pretty ridiculous. What's Israeli mentality about El Al making a big splash about their new aircraft? Did you ever visit the homepage of Singapore, Delta, Air Canada, etc. From what I see, all airlines proudly show off their new aircraft in ads and on their homepage.
Bottom line, I think the fact that you don't miss an opportunity to disparage El Al, has more to do with your own attitude than El Al's attitude...

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #730 on: January 28, 2018, 07:03:11 PM »
Boeing first showcased the plane 2-4-2, and only the Japanese (the first to operate the 787) are configured so.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 28, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »

Nothing wrong with disliking an airline, but the reasons you give are sometimes pretty rediculous. What's Israeli mentality about El Al making a big splash about their new aircraft? Did you ever visit the homepage of Singapore, Delta, Air Canada, etc. From what I see, all airlines proudly show off their new aircraft in ads and on their homepage.
Bottom line, I think the fact that you don't miss an opportunity to disparage El Al, has more to do with your own attitude than El Al's attitude...
What you totally missed in my #IsraeliMentality comment, that it wasn’t about the airline but about the person who went out of his way to fly the LY Dreamliner, and not for the advantages you mentioned. Just take my word for this fact ביודעי ומכירי קאמינא.
-- Dan

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #732 on: January 28, 2018, 07:19:44 PM »
What you totally missed in my #IsraeliMentality comment, that it wasn’t about the airline but about the person who went out of his way to fly the LY Dreamliner, and not for the advantages you mentioned. Just take my word for this fact ביודעי ומכירי קאמינא.
People do that all the time for a new acft, I once booked someone with a double stop so he can do the A380 (LH was flying it temporary to NY then as they pulled it from Japan after the earthquake, they didn't start regular NY service then)

Airbus created a website people can search and book A380 flights, people have an interest in these regardless of airline

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 28, 2018, 07:25:43 PM »
I didn't miss anything. I live IL, and I know all about Israeli mentality and I grew up in the US (heart of Brooklyn) and I know all about US (especially NY) mentality too. Bottom line stays the same. It's all in the attitude.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 28, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »
LY 1 to switch to the Dreamliner Oct 28 (beginning of winter season). LY will then operate all NYC flights with a 789 with 2 daily flights to JFK and 2 daily flights to EWR, compared to 3 flights total this winter.
Btw, @Dan don't I get a HT for this post?

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: January 28, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »
2 strange things I just noticed.
1) LY 27 on Oct 26 Departs TLV on a 772 and returns from EWR MS as a 789
2) LY 7 Departs TLV to JFK on Oct 26, and when does it return exactly...?
Can anyone solve these mysteries?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #736 on: January 28, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
2 strange things I just noticed.
1) LY 27 on Oct 26 Departs TLV on a 772 and returns from EWR MS as a 789
2) LY 7 Departs TLV to JFK on Oct 26, and when does it return exactly...?
Can anyone solve these mysteries?
If they are retiring the plane them out goes from there to the graveyard.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 28, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »
If they are retiring the plane them out goes from there to the graveyard.
I can't imagine they're retiring a 777. Unless they're taking it to retrofit.
But then how do they get the 789 from Newark MS? Is that the extra flight they have to JFK on Fri? Think they will then fly the plane from JFK to EWR? Sounds extremely unlikely to me... Something doesn't make sense here.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 28, 2018, 09:05:22 PM »
Who owns the 772?

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 28, 2018, 09:19:09 PM »
Who owns the 772?
I believe El Al. Do you know otherwise (that it's leased?)?