Author Topic: Gas CC  (Read 7637 times)

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Gas CC
« on: May 20, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »
Im not sure if i can post a link for an article on CC (its not a personal link) but if this is okay i think its a good article. With everyone trying to save money and Gas high (and probably going higher) this article is a good read

http://blogs.smartmoney.com/encore/2011/05/19/3-gas-rewards-credit-cards-worthy-of-your-wallet/

Offline yaakov s

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gas CC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
The Pen Fed card was hotly debated here http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=5904.0

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »
Once we are on the topic of using credit cards for gas...

With most NY gas stations charging 6-7 cents more per gallon for using a CC, it is becoming very hard to rationalize using a CC. I guess laziness is the only reason.  Anyway, I read somewhere that you can buy gas gift cards using your CC and then when you swipe at the pump it is considered cash.  seems like a good idea to me.  Does anyone know where in NY you can pick up gas gift cards?  I found a site online but they charge too much shipping to make it worth it. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
BH that craziness hasn't made its way to CLE yet.

Even so at $4/gallon a difference of 6 cents a gallon is just 1.5 cents per dollar.  If you have an SPG card the points are worth more than 1.5 cents.

I would also imagine that inside most gas stations that will sell you a GC for cash, no?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »

Even so at $4/gallon a difference of 6 cents a gallon is just 1.5 cents per dollar.  If you have an SPG card the points are worth more than 1.5 cents.

I would also imagine that inside most gas stations that will sell you a GC for cash, no?
do they rly do that in ny??

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:59 PM »

Yes, you can offset the cost of the cc with the points you get (although you are sacrificing cash in hand for cash down the road) but you might as well buy the gift cards with a cc and get the full points value without paying extra for the gas.

I went into a couple of my local gas stations and they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they sell gift cards.  Supposedly Walgreens sells them but I havent had a chance to go into one and check. 

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
Shoprite sells BP and Gulf gift cards. At times, I have also seen Shell cards. YMMV as some Shoprites will only allow you to purchase them with cash or debit. I stocked up when Chase Freedom was giving 5% back on groceries.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »
Yes, you can offset the cost of the cc with the points you get (although you are sacrificing cash in hand for cash down the road)
Sure, but anyone here would buy SPG at 1.5cpp.
Of course the GC option is better, but in a pinch I would still pay with a cc.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
Sure, but anyone here would buy SPG at 1.5cpp.
Of course the GC option is better, but in a pinch I would still pay with a cc.
You are right, I guess I was being extreme when I suggested that it may be worth it to just pay cash.  But I still think it is silly to be paying the 6 cents more if you can get gift cards. 

I will be doing some research on where I can get these cards and will report back.  I did speak to a Shell station that told me they have a few gift cards but its not a very convenient location for me.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 01:46:24 PM »
Talking about NY, It seems most HESS gas stations aren't charging any extra for using a CC, yet.

Offline am32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
I have the ExxonMobil MC which gives 15 cents/gal rebate (unlimited) at Exxon or Mobil stations.  Only downside is when a station charged extra for using a CC :(

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »
I have the ExxonMobil MC which gives 15 cents/gal rebate (unlimited) at Exxon or Mobil stations.  Only downside is when a station charged extra for using a CC :(
not bad, at $4 a gallon that is 3.75%
But with the extra CC charge it is about 2%

The Mobil station by me doesnt charge more for a cc but they charge between 3-5 cents more than the other station with the cc charge

Offline shmiel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »

Or you earn 2  Amex MR points per dollar with the premier rewards gold (not saying this is better option than 1 SPG point, but definitely worth more than 1.5 cents)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
Or you earn 2  Amex MR points per dollar with the premier rewards gold (not saying this is better option than 1 SPG point, but definitely worth more than 1.5 cents)
Im loving my PenFed card saving me 5%. Considering im spending 4.70 a gallon on premium, im saving 23.5 cents per gallon

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
Im loving my PenFed card saving me 5%. Considering im spending 4.70 a gallon on premium, im saving 23.5 cents per gallon
My local Costco is 23.5 cents cheaper than every other gas station in the area and I get SPGs.
Here we go again :D

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »
Dan, not a single other person has mentioned a similar situation to yours with Costco. Why do you feel the need to repost your savings, seemingly as a rebuttal to those maximizing their gas savings with the PenFed card? It'd be one thing if many people would benefit by emulating your gas strategy, but most of us are stuck with regular old expensive gas stations that take all types of cards.

On a separate note, someone mentioned (too lazy to go back and quote - sorry) buying gc's to use for gas in a supermarket when chase freedom had 5% on groceries. Would that work buying gc's from gas stations with the PenFed, to get the 5% without paying the cc fee? and if so, anyone know which stations generally sell gc's in the NY area?

Also, what happens with debit cards (which is essentially what gift cards are). If you pay at the pump with a debit card does it charge you the cash price of the cc price?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »

Why dont u purchase an exxon gc with your cc  -(make sure it shows up as a gas purchase on your cc statement) - then use the gc to buy gas. most gas stations charge the "cash" price when paying with thier own cc (e.g. Exxon cc ) or when using a gc.

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »
Ok, let me clarify this Exxon and possibly Sunoco give you the credit price when using a GC.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
Dan, not a single other person has mentioned a similar situation to yours with Costco. Why do you feel the need to repost your savings, seemingly as a rebuttal to those maximizing their gas savings with the PenFed card? It'd be one thing if many people would benefit by emulating your gas strategy, but most of us are stuck with regular old expensive gas stations that take all types of cards.
Excuse me?
There are hundreds and hundreds of Costco gas stations nationwide.  Why can't many people emulate that "strategy?"

It's not like there's only 1 Costco nationwide?

As long you think I'm discussing a strategy only I can use...I filled up 30 gallons today at a station that charges $3.89/gallon and paid $19 for it with Giant Eagle prescription fuelperks coupons.  There, now you have what to be angry at me for posting something most people can't do.

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
My local Costco is 23.5 cents cheaper than every other gas station in the area and I get SPGs.
Here we go again :D
Is your costco really 23.5 cents a gallon cheaper than other gas stations?  I've been to Costco around here and they're slightly cheaper but not that much.