Author Topic: 1 day or 2 days in Israel  (Read 3632 times)

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: 1 day or 2 days in Israel
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 12:11:02 AM »
I spent one YT in Eretz Yisroel.
At first I was very bothered, I researched the entire Sugya and it seemed that whatever I did I would get it wrong according to some respectable opinions.
After thinking through it many times I came to an understanding that whatever you do there are many merits and explanations for those opinions and as long as that's what your LOR told you to do, you're good.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 12:13:50 AM »
At least acknowledge what is the accepted psak by the vast vast majority of poskim. Not saying that your Rabbi can't hold differently.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 12:24:47 AM »
At least acknowledge what is the accepted psak by the vast vast majority of poskim. Not saying that your Rabbi can't hold differently.
Why?

It's a very complicated Sugya from many angles.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 12:46:18 AM »
It's a very complicated Sugya from many angles.
Yup. i spent way too much time going crazy on this. I'm going for pesach and im going to keep 2 days (obviously if there is any sort of possible emergency/someone in slight danger i will break it faster than u can say havdalah on yom kippur). there is no simple answer. I lived in sha'arei chessed for a while and always kept extra days, and heard from many people there how r Slomo Zalman was strongly opposed to the 2nd day minyanim with people saying brachos that really make no sense in israel and against the minhag of the community, and without a clear source in chazal that the application of the 2 day custom should apply when actually being in israel (note that in the time of the bm, no visitors/oleh regel kept a second day/brought second day karbanos, yet here we are prattling about this and that musaf...). Moreover, while there are few possible real instances of a possible Ba'al Toseif breach, eating matzah and no chametz on the 8th day is one of the few cases where it really looks like it should be an issue, and at the very least is avak ba'al toseif  ;D.
that said, there is a lot of firepower backing the need to be machmir and not be over on yom tov restrictions either that i just dont want to mess with (though there are recent big poskim like R Melamed that would rule for many visitors who have strong connections (spent a lot of time in israel already and will spend more) that its ok). its like a tightrope. i will daven in a big minyan, but i will fill really awkward about it. Siz shver tzu zein a Yid, especially a galus yid.

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 06:15:09 AM »
The halacha is that unless you're a resident of Eretz Yisrael that isn't planning on returning to live permanently outside of Israel, you're required to keep two days of Yom Tov. I'm not sure how people go about the holidays.
on a forum hosted by a chabadsker at least acknowledge that chabad follows the baal hatanya and chacham tzvi and do 1 day in israel

Offline zagguru

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 06:34:11 AM »
At first I was very bothered, I researched the entire Sugya and it seemed that whatever I did I would get it wrong according to some respectable opinions.
After thinking through it many times I came to an understanding that whatever you do there are many merits and explanations for those opinions and as long as that's what your LOR told you to do, you're good.

I really dont think that there is a more machmir opinion in this case. Even keeping 2 days has its problems. You could be saying bracha levatala, missing out on tefilin, etc...
I dont see how one could say that keeping 1 or 2 would be the more machmir opinion. Both have strong opinions backing them up

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »
As with everything...as long as you can blame someone and point fingers after 120...you're good. The LOR has to have plaeitzas or risk burning for your transgression. If your LOR is willing to go out on a limb and say one way or the other why should you care just follow his opinion and youre good.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online Z56

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »
As with everything...as long as you can blame someone and point fingers after 120...you're good. The LOR has to have plaeitzas or risk burning for your transgression. If your LOR is willing to go out on a limb and say one way or the other why should you care just follow his opinion and youre good.

Well said
True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare. False friends are like leaves, found everywhere.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
For some, missing a day of tefillin before 120 is far more worrisome than burning and finger pointing after 120
Quote from: ExGingi
[Stating things eloquently] seems to be Yehuda57's job around here :)

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 08:15:16 AM »
The halacha is that unless you're a resident of Eretz Yisrael that isn't planning on returning to live permanently outside of Israel, you're required to keep two days of Yom Tov. I'm not sure how people go about the holidays.
Nice to finally see one topic that is so black and white on a forum that at its essence seems to be about always seeing things as "YMMV" and then finding nuances and opportunities to exploit
Quote from: ExGingi
[Stating things eloquently] seems to be Yehuda57's job around here :)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
Nice to finally see one topic that is so black and white on a forum that at its essence seems to be about always seeing things as "YMMV" and then finding nuances and opportunities to exploit
lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
על פי התורה אשר יורוך
That's basically the biblical source and power of ALOR. He might have it wrong, but you will be doing the right thing. As opposed to someone else who is not following his LOR is definitely doing it wrong

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 08:34:04 AM »
on a forum hosted by a chabadsker at least acknowledge that chabad follows the baal hatanya and chacham tzvi and do 1 day in israel

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
For some, missing a day of tefillin before 120 is far more worrisome than burning and finger pointing after 120
Huh?

Let's play this out...If the psak you get is 2 days and you feel you know better and worry about missing tefillin, then why did you ask? What you describe is chumrah culture, or, as we describe it in the real world, OCD.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »
:D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.