Author Topic: Hogwarts hagadah on ddms  (Read 29129 times)

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
Re: Hogwarts hagadah on ddms
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
It's not about machmir or meikil (don't know where you saw that in my comment).
It's about teaching someone the wrong way. 2 x 2 = 5.
I think mixing in the wrong ideas is worse than being ignorant.
My point is not machmir or meikel (and i dont believe batei shammai or hillel were focused on machmir meikel as seen in several strange machloksim where they go opposite ways, though perhaps there was some subconscious thing there generally). when people who werent hardcore and werent ready to take all of torah on came to Shammai, he slapped them upside the head and said get out (perhaps thinking better if they stay ignorant as u suggest). Hillel played it way differently, giving all of torah on one feet (even less than the big 10!) and taking on a guy who would not accept torah shebeal peh and bringing him around. perhaps these guys did aveiros after and werent perfect jews, but each mitzvah matters and the aveiros would have happened anyway. Like the Rebbe z'tl said in his first piece on Pirkei Avos, "Kol yisroel yesh lahem chelek "Le"Olam habah", not Beolam haba but Leolam haba, bc even the sinners have a purpopse and every little thing they can learn and incorporate into their lives fixes our world and brings us to the perfection to come.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
My point is not machmir or meikel (and i dont believe batei shammai or hillel were focused on machmir meikel as seen in several strange machloksim where they go opposite ways, though perhaps there was some subconscious thing there generally). when people who werent hardcore and werent ready to take all of torah on came to Shammai, he slapped them upside the head and said get out (perhaps thinking better if they stay ignorant as u suggest). Hillel played it way differently, giving all of torah on one feet (even less than the big 10!) and taking on a guy who would not accept torah shebeal peh and bringing him around. perhaps these guys did aveiros after and werent perfect jews, but each mitzvah matters and the aveiros would have happened anyway. Like the Rebbe z'tl said in his first piece on Pirkei Avos, "Kol yisroel yesh lahem chelek "Le"Olam habah", not Beolam haba but Leolam haba, bc even the sinners have a purpopse and every little thing they can learn and incorporate into their lives fixes our world and brings us to the perfection to come.

דחפו באמת הבנין is more like "he shoved him with a 10-foot-pole".
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »
דחפו באמת הבנין is more like "he shoved him with a 10-foot-pole".
agreed :)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »

Don't know how this is all relevant to the convo. So because Bais Hillel made Torah more accessible that means you can mix in the new testament as well and that's fine?
Visibly Jewish

Online Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »
I decided to take a look at it on Amazon. I'm horrified.
I'm not debating the posting of the deal, just the book itself.

If you can justify this hagaddah, then you are a problem as well, even if you don't realize it.  Veit farkruchen.

Oy. I'm being harsh.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 05:07:14 PM »
As anyone here long enough has seen, I am typically a hardliner about these things but in this case, while I wouldn't go ahead and give it to someone, I don't see the big deal as long as they do not distort the actual hagadah. It is not unprecedented to use non-jewish themes as a mashal to help understand Jewish concepts. I find the idea somewhat distasteful but not worth the fuss being made here.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
Don't know how this is all relevant to the convo. So because Bais Hillel made Torah more accessible that means you can mix in the new testament as well and that's fine?
not my point though i clearly did go off on a tangent (sorry). dont use the new testament, but to explain things to people its always best to explain in terms they understand, and if they dont have the tools to understand on a brisker derech torah level, maybe they can get it from an example in a harry potter story that had a similar point. I happen to have never read any of the books and only saw parts of the first movie, but i have frum friends who were shtark potter fans and they said there were lots of good lessons in it. its not any sort of religion, its just fiction and its not steeped in some sort of assur philosophy that we cant use to help people understand the hagadah with. I have no idea how this rabbi will bring it together, and maybe i will hate it, its not for me or whatever. but why attack everything as assur that isnt our wavelength and compare it to catholicism?
I personally dont like certain emuna books, and find those to also be silly and use recycled goyish stories that are not real. while i used to diss it in the past, i found out that my mom and several friends love them and really do gain something from them. they may drive me nuts, but they help others, and i need to learn to not diss what works for other people to get closer to god.
There, i got off on another tangent. oy  ;D

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
As anyone here long enough has seen, I am typically a hardliner about these things but in this case, while I wouldn't go ahead and give it to someone, I don't see the big deal as long as they do not distort the actual hagadah. It is not unprecedented to use non-jewish themes as a mashal to help understand Jewish concepts. I find the idea somewhat distasteful but not worth the fuss being made here.

Based on this thread I went to Amazon expecting something far worse than what I read in the sample pages. I'm wondering if perhaps the naysayers are referring to the "wizardry and magic" of Harry Potter itself rather than using pop culture  as a moshul for themes in yetzias mitzrayim? It's hard to know, seeing as they haven't really spelled out the issue with it being on DDMS

Offline cholent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
Based on this thread I went to Amazon expecting something far worse than what I read in the sample pages. I'm wondering if perhaps the naysayers are referring to the "wizardry and magic" of Harry Potter itself rather than using pop culture  as a moshul for themes in yetzias mitzrayim? It's hard to know, seeing as they haven't really spelled out the issue with it being on DDMS
I want to put the greatest possible distance between myself and the troll here, but I'll try to take a few minutes later to explain it
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
I want to put the greatest possible distance between myself and the troll here, but I'll try to take a few minutes later to explain it

lol. I think if you punctuate you should be fine.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »
lol. I think if you punctuate you should be fine.
ALOL

Offline Mareh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
Lets look at it this way, Dan is a Yehiva boy and there are many many many frum followers of his posts, this particular item is not on cord with who he is and what we as his readers expect to find here

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 09:18:45 AM »
Lets look at it this way, Dan is a Yehiva boy and there are many many many frum followers of his posts, this particular item is not on cord with who he is and what we as his readers expect to find here

Shvach argument

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
if you are so "frum" that you can't handle seeing this than you probably shouldn't be on the internet in the first place.

This is Dans "deals" not Dans Yeshiva. Some people might want to buy this and are happy to save some money. If you don't want to buy it than Don't buy it. I don't think anyone will go off the derech because they bought a Haggadah from Dans deals that has Harry Potter connected to it.

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
I don't think anyone will go off the derech because they bought a Haggadah from Dans deals that has Harry Potter connected to it.
If they do then they have bigger problems than this.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
And the bein hazmanim guys reappear

Offline keemster26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »
I don't get why this thread is soo active? If you like it, then good. If not, move on! It's not your website!

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
I don't get why this thread is soo active? If you like it, then good. If not, move on! It's not your website!

I'm wondering the same thing... :o
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2017, 10:24:01 AM »
if you are so "frum" that you can't handle seeing this than you probably shouldn't be on the internet in the first place.
That argument is weaker than Dans pitching arm.
This is Dans "deals" not Dans Yeshiva.
1) But "Dans" nonetheless and he represents.
2) If assur then may also be assur for him to profit off it.
3) Lifnei Iver
Some people might want to buy this and are happy to save some money.If you don't want to buy it than Don't buy it.
Kanoim Pogim Bo
I don't think anyone will go off the derech because they bought a Haggadah from Dans deals that has Harry Potter connected to it.
Cue the story of Elisha ben Abuyah/Acher
If they do then they have bigger problems than this.
You should prob stay out of this one ( not that we expect factually correct info from you either way.)

I dont actually give many darns about this, just particularly bored right now.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
just particularly bored right now.
I can see that