Author Topic: Merging Delta accounts (Plus: can you "double-dip" on the MQM bonus?)  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Moisheleh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I have a bunch of Amex MR points in my account, and a bunch in my wife's account. I've been trying for some time to now to figure out how to get from TLV to JFK/EWR with them for the summer (you may have seen my other threads on that topic), with little success (the only *A routes I can find involve three or more segments each way). So now I'm thinking of Delta... although Delta "SkyPesos" are known to be carp (typo intentional ;)), the flip side is that as a first time Amex transfer, I can get a %50 bonus (plus 25K MQMs), so that the Delta "medium" awards will cost me around the same as *A "low" awards - plus I'll get Silver status to boot. Does anyone see anything wrong with that plan?

Now... if there is nothing wrong with that plan, here's my concern: since my Amex MR points are in two separate accounts, I can only get a %50 bonus for one of the transfers. So... can I set up two separate accounts (for me and my wife, or two under my name), transfer my points into one and my wife's points into the other (getting the %50 bonus for each), and then combine the two?

And if that works, here's the kicker: does that mean I will get 25K MQM + 25K MQM = 50K MQM, qualifying for Gold?

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
Your logic about how much you are "spending" does seem to make sense. However, I would suggest putting the Delta flight on hold and then transferring. One main thing to keep in mind is that you need to register for the promotion and as a word of advice, make sure its showing in your promotions.
In terms of the two account merge, it may work to get you to 50K MQM, but keep in mind two things: 1- they did yank the extra MQMs from a similar promotion last year, and 2- this promo is also limited to first time transfers getting the extra RDM, and therefore you are risking losing that.
IMO, I would have one account for you, and one account for the wife, and put enough MR into each so that you'll have enough RDMs to fly, and leave well enough alone.
Good luck either way!

Offline Moisheleh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
The thing is, should I make both accounts in my name, so that after the miles are safely spent on tickets, I can attempt to merge the two accounts and see what happens to the MQMs? Or should the second account have her name anyway?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:10:04 AM by Moisheleh »

Offline Moisheleh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Another thing: will Delta allow me to put an itinerary on hold with no miles in my account? If yes, can that be done online, or do I have to call?

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Online you can, when calling they may give you a hard time..
Another thing: will Delta allow me to put an itinerary on hold with no miles in my account? If yes, can that be done online, or do I have to call?

Offline Moisheleh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Online you can, when calling they may give you a hard time..

Thanks! What's your opinion on the rest of what I posted here?

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I'm actually in basically the same situation as you and I've been leaning toward transfer to Delta for a while (waiting for the points to show up to decide). You asked about combining the rewards on the Delta side. Does anyone know a way of combining the points on the AMEX side (just for the purposes of making it one big first time transfer to a new Delta account)? Is it even worth trying to get an AMEX CSR to let me do that or is this a total no-no? The advantages would be a savings of $21 on the transfer ($99 instead of $60x2) and keeping my wife and I on one itinerary (don't know if this is a big deal, maybe more frequent flyers than I can chime in).