Author Topic: Pesach Program in Greece Cancelled Just Now!  (Read 184941 times)

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pesach Program in Greece Cancelled Just Now!
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:50 PM »
I don't think anyone is arguing that it isn't healthy to go to a program every year.

But it's nice to give everyone a break now and then if you can swing it and if your minhagim allow for it.

But Dan! How do you show appreciation to your wife! If arthritis doesn't set in before the Mah Nishtana you won't get that spiritual high.

Online alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
I think the problem is not only with the hotels, but rather the whole dilution of true Pesach values. Pesach has become a huge, huge, industry. It is almost nauseating to see the "new" products that look so much like chometz, taste like chometz etc... ( wither they really do or not is a different story). It is not only the hotels. The whole indulgence to have Pizza, Bagels, Doughnuts, etc...

I will give you an example of the problem with all of this:

Close to 20 years ago I remember going to a Chol Hamoed arcade venue of where I saw Frum kids buying Coke from the soda machine. It was clearly not Kosher L'Pesach. But why should the think twice? Coke is on their table at the Seder after all! It is for this reason I will only buy the less desirable Kosher brands of Soda on Pesach. This was 20 years ago.

I know that there was talk many years ago that Entenmann's almost had a deal with a Kosher Bakery to label Pesach Cakes for them. Imagine if there were Kosher L'Pesach Entenmann's???

Do we really need Pizza and Doughnuts? What happens when they perfect it and the Pizza looks and tastes like Pizza? Will we have a whole generation that just remembers eating Pizza and Doughnuts on Pesach?

I know the Pizza and Doughnuts are extreme examples, but the whole yom tov of Pesach is about creating limitations, if you look in Seforim. I am not saying I don't buy products, but at least your family should know that on Pesach we don't need every type of indulgence.

However, once you go to a Hotel, you are most likely being served every type of indulgence; at least that is the impression of those who do not go...

If you stay home, at least there is a chance.

Some people need the hotel for various reasons ( no time to prepare, elderly, not capable of preparing, don't have room for the whole family, etc...) but I just can't condone it for the mainstream.
It is a slippery slope... My 2 cents...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »
But Dan! How do you show appreciation to your wife! If arthritis doesn't set in before the Mah Nishtana you won't get that spiritual high.
Somehow, someway, I'll find a way.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:08 PM »
Missed another boat, they don't run all night you know...
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
Stinks to have to fly on a plane to Israel.
Was so much more meaningful to spend a year to get there via horse. Nowadays you just swipe your cards and your kids will have no appreciation for the place.
Sad!

You have a horse that can swim the Atlantic in a year? Wow!

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:36 PM »
Exactly. Times change. Some old feeling won't be felt anymore as they did in the day it took a boat ride to cross the Atlantic. Those days aren't coming back.
We also have electricity by our Seders. Judaism and our kids will survive this too.

I do think as time goes on, especially at how fast the world is changing that without some effort from parents kids can end up missing out in being happy, understanding, appreciative individuals.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »
I think the problem is not only with the hotels, but rather the whole dilution of true Pesach values. Pesach has become a huge, huge, industry. It is almost nauseating to see the "new" products that look so much like chometz, taste like chometz etc... ( wither they really do or not is a different story). It is not only the hotels. The whole indulgence to have Pizza, Bagels, Doughnuts, etc...

I will give you an example of the problem with all of this:

Close to 20 years ago I remember going to a Chol Hamoed arcade venue of where I saw Frum kids buying Coke from the soda machine. It was clearly not Kosher L'Pesach. But why should the think twice? Coke is on their table at the Seder after all! It is for this reason I will only buy the less desirable Kosher brands of Soda on Pesach. This was 20 years ago.

I know that there was talk many years ago that Entenmann's almost had a deal with a Kosher Bakery to label Pesach Cakes for them. Imagine if there were Kosher L'Pesach Entenmann's???

Do we really need Pizza and Doughnuts? What happens when they perfect it and the Pizza looks and tastes like Pizza? Will we have a whole generation that just remembers eating Pizza and Doughnuts on Pesach?

I know the Pizza and Doughnuts are extreme examples, but the whole yom tov of Pesach is about creating limitations, if you look in Seforim. I am not saying I don't buy products, but at least your family should know that on Pesach we don't need every type of indulgence.

However, once you go to a Hotel, you are most likely being served every type of indulgence; at least that is the impression of those who do not go...

If you stay home, at least there is a chance.

Some people need the hotel for various reasons ( no time to prepare, elderly, not capable of preparing, don't have room for the whole family, etc...) but I just can't condone it for the mainstream.
It is a slippery slope... My 2 cents...

Can you afford to go away for Pesach?

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »
I dont think cleaning for pesach was much of a thing in years by gone. Plus, ALL OF YOU will not do beskias chametz like the mishna says... which of you have at least 2 rows of wine barrels to search? im going to do it like the mishna at the winery ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »
I know the Pizza and Doughnuts are extreme examples, but the whole yom tov of Pesach is about creating limitations.   
I must have missed that halacha.

Yes, by nature things were limited in the past. But in times past there also wasn't frozen pizza and donuts in a box during the whole year. Does that mean kashrus by nature is about creating limitations or was that the nature of the beast at the time?
There are places today where kosher products are hard to find year round. Is that how it should be because it used to be like that?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Can you afford to go away for Pesach?
What is your obsession with peoples money?! We got it, you are super loaded and can go to a hotel for pesach. Some of us can and some of us can't. Some of us can but won't.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2017, 06:07:11 PM »
Russia≠US (except if you ask Trump :P )

Online alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
Yes I can. And some of my wife's family goes away. And my Brother-In-Law ( who goes) said to me last week: " There is going to be a whole generation that doesn't know what eating Matzah over a bag is ( his family Minhag, not mine). Clearly the Chinuch aspect is lost this way...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2017, 06:09:25 PM »
Yes I can. And some of my wife's family goes away. And my Brother-In-Law ( who goes) said to me last week: " There is going to be a whole generation that doesn't know what eating Matzah over a bag is ( his family Minhag, not mine). Clearly the Chinuch aspect is lost this way...
Why does going to a program inhibit the ability to eat over a bag?

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »
What is your obsession with peoples money?! We got it, you are super loaded and can go to a hotel for pesach. Some of us can and some of us can't. Some of us can but won't.

Let me explain once again in a different way. If you cannot afford a Lamborghini don't tell me how you would never buy one and how you love when your Honda breaks down and you get your hands dirty fixing the car and showing your son how to do it.  Kapeesh?

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »
Chakira did a whole article on matza in the past.  http://www.hakirah.org/Vol17Zivotofsky.pdf

Fascinating read but, Gebrokhts is a non issue if you knead. Matza used to be soft, matza was baked fresh EVERY DAY.

Screw pizza and donuts,  I dont eat that during the year, I want fresh baked laffa matza for my shwarma

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
Also my host makes chumus, i'm eating it. I much rather eat kitniyot or laffa matza than the crap made these days

Online alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »

Yes, by nature things were limited in the past. But in times past there also wasn't frozen pizza and donuts in a box during the whole year. Does that mean kashrus by nature is about creating limitations or was that the nature of the beast at the time?
There are places today where kosher products are hard to find year round. Is that how it should be because it used to be like that?

I am talking Hashkafah not Halachah. Any Seforim that discuss the Hashkafik aspect of Pesach generally talk about this.

There is nothing Halachically wrong with putting a TV on a Shabbos Clock to watch your favorite team play. I don't think this was a halachic discussion...

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »

This is all so much a hashkafa conversation.

It's great.

It should cause us all to really delve into what Pesach ( and YT And shabbas in general ) is all about. What it's supposed to be about.

At one point someone had to ask themselves, just because using a timer might be halachically permissible is it taking away from the feeling of Shabbos? Is taking away from what I believe Shabbos is supposed to be about?

What is Pesach?

Can Pesach really not be had if someone else cooks your meals?  You can choose to want things a certain way, you can feel that kids are missing out. You can be right about that.
But does that mean it's wrong?

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »
Also my host makes chumus, i'm eating it. I much rather eat kitniyot or laffa matza than the crap made these days
Can always count on you to take this off the rails, Chevron ;)

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
Its only available with lifetime status. For the hamon am its a sea turtle.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.